Can girls rock?
Jul 23, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #46 of 85
Jul 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #47 of 85
does anybody here remember sylvia juncosa? girl with guitar, rocking my socks off (late 80s). she was on the sst label. she played solos like some female reincarnated hendrix - maybe not always in tune but in spirit. just her and her guitar but the outcome was more white stripes than sensitive singer/songwriter. she wasn't metal, she wasn't punk/hardcore, i guess she was alternative before that term became incorporated.
that woman was on fire.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #48 of 85
Another recent woman who rocks is Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. She's the only female singer I can think of who compares favorably with Bon Scott (the original singer of AC/DC). She can shred her vocal chords with the best of them, but she also does low-down and bluesy. Too bad the band's second album was a bit of a disappointment.

Another group I just remembered is The Donnas, who are very fun if you like trashy rock and roll. Sort of like a female version of The Ramones, or a female version of early Poison.

And while we're including non-recent female artists, I'll put in an honorable mention for a strange all-female group called ESG, who played mostly instrumental funk in the early 80s, and wound up providing a lot of the sampled beats for early hip hop. Not really rock, but they can make you shake it.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Janis Joplin was unequalled when she was great, and absolutely awful when she was bad. But that's a key difference between today's mass-produced garbage and the working-without-a-net atmosphere of the 1960s.

Patti Smith is a more recent example. When she is great, she is trancendent. When she is bad, she's at least interesting. But it would be dishonest to suggest that everything she has done has been great. Nevertheless, she has always marched to the sound of a different drummer.

The problem is that pop music today is a corporate mess overseen by philistines like Clive Davis....

You probably realize the irony, but both of your examples in Janis Joplin and Patti Smith were first signed by Clive Davis, Joplin to Columbia in '67 after he saw her at the Monterey Pop Festival, and Smith to Arista Records in the early '70s.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #50 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably realize the irony, but both of your examples in Janis Joplin and Patti Smith were first signed by Clive Davis, Joplin to Columbia in '67 after he saw her at the Monterey Pop Festival, and Smith to Arista Records in the early '70s.

Absolutely. And he had the good sense to let them do more or less what they wanted. He also oversaw Santana's comeback of a few years ago. That doesn't excuse what he did to Whitney Houston or countless others.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you kidding me? Chrissie Hynde kicked all serious forms of ass on this record and Pretenders II:

I forgot all about her. Thanks for including another great rocker!

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot all about her. Thanks for including another great rocker!

I saw them live a couple of times in the late 70's/early 80's, (once at CBGB's in NY) and a couple of years ago in Saratoga. Lemme tell ya... Chrissie could rawk yer balls off!

basshead.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #53 of 85
From the metal and hard rock I listen too, there are many woman who "rock".

Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil - great voice
Karyn Crisis sings like Angela from Arch Enenmy which was laready mentioned.
Kittie is an all girls band that can rock.
Amy Lee from Evanescence does a good job.
Flyleaf singer Lacey Moskey is like Amy Lee.

From the "old days":
Pat Benatar
Joan Jett & Lita Ford, who were in the band the Runaways before going solo
Vixen
Heart
Warlock (Dora Pesch)

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #55 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by bradman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And while folks are tossing out names, how about Melissa Etheridge?

She certainly has the voice. But I've always that that "Come to My Window" could have been better rock n roll if they had upped the octane a little...take away the acoustic and hand this woman a Strat or a Les Paul...

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #56 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil - great voice

Her voice is like ambrosia :p.

Not sure if she'd quite qualify, but Gabriella from Rodrigo y Gabriela plays a beastly guitar
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #57 of 85
Has anyone mentioned Mo Tucker of the Velvet Underground?

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #58 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha ha, he is the original poster.

Girls can rock, but it's a verifiable fact that less girls rock than dudes. So it's a little unfair to look only for 100% female bands to answer the question. Although, if you want an all-girl band that rocked as hard as any, Sleater-Kinney comes to mind. (Unless the OP needs to disqualify them b/c they broke up a little while ago, ha).

S-K rock so hard I can't listen to them very often. Tucker's voice scares me a little, actually.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #59 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha ha, he is the original poster.

Girls can rock, but it's a verifiable fact that less girls rock than dudes. So it's a little unfair to look only for 100% female bands to answer the question. Although, if you want an all-girl band that rocked as hard as any, Sleater-Kinney comes to mind. (Unless the OP needs to disqualify them b/c they broke up a little while ago, ha).

yeah sleater were cool, hot rock is playing right now thanks to your post!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back