Can girls rock?
Jul 22, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 85
050331_ArtsPattiSmith_vl.widec.jpg

Jesus died for somebody's sins but not hers...

Can women rock? What a question.

A_Sr

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by god_is_a_fraud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why does gender matter? It's sad when people look at the world through gender...

Nearsightedness in this matter methinks. How many folks enjoy the sound of a female voice but prefer a male-dominated genre of music? Merge the two and one finds musical solace perhaps even hints of true bliss. Never ask the question and one remains in the realm of the male-dominated milieu, always hoping, dreaming, searching but without the initial question...disappointed, depressed and longing still.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe there was an age restriction by the OP.

Ha ha, he is the original poster.

Girls can rock, but it's a verifiable fact that less girls rock than dudes. So it's a little unfair to look only for 100% female bands to answer the question. Although, if you want an all-girl band that rocked as hard as any, Sleater-Kinney comes to mind. (Unless the OP needs to disqualify them b/c they broke up a little while ago, ha).

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #19 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe there was an age restriction by the OP.

True, but I did use the term "recently" thinking it would be a thread more about modern rockers. I think we probably all know many of the women of the classic rock era. And I did use a smiley to follow the "40 years ago" comment, so it wasn't really intended to be a serious jab.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #20 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Unless the OP needs to disqualify them b/c they broke up a little while ago, ha).

smily_headphones1.gif

Hey sm, how's that Blonde Redhead vinyl sound? The CD is a pretty spartan package, but sounds OK, albeit with the usual dose of modern compression. Not brickwalled, but not too dynamic. Which is a bit of a shame, because it is a fairly dense production and would probably really shine with a less modern sound to let it open up more and reveal some of the hidden details. Fun record.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 85
The BR vinyl still sounds much as you describe the CD, or maybe a little better. I've thought that I'd rather have the vinyl, so it sounds good in a way, but it's far from an audiophile recording or audiophile vinyl (mine's a bit noisy). I guess it sounds good, but it doesn't eliminate all the problems you hear by any stretch. I think I'll listen to it now, may edit in more....

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 85
Like it was mentioned. Arch Enemy has had a female lead singer for a few years now.

Another good band with a female lead is Walls Of Jericho.

Alot of people don't even know the singer is female until they see her.

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 85
PJ Harvey on 4-Track Demos makes Courtney Love sound like Doris Day (I like Doris Day Better).

And say what for Exene Cervenka! 'X' would'ha been a lot of things without her (it would'ha been John Doe and Billy Zoom) but it wouldn't'ha been 'X'.

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #24 of 85
Jul 22, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #28 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sleater-Kinney comes to mind ...

I second that: They've got knife losers. And try Matthew Bellamy. He sounds a lot like a girl.
580smile.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #29 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by god_is_a_fraud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why does gender matter? It's sad when people look at the world through gender...

Matters when you want to make a baby.

And smile once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back