Can girls rock?
Jul 21, 2007 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Silly topic, I know, especially since my favorite rock record of 2007 is by group of 4 girls from Brighton, but what do you think? Any ladies recently that were capable of kicking out the jams the way the boys do? Seems that you typically find the women doing more of a serious singer/songwriter type of pop music these days, or some exploitative urban hip hop, or disposable vocal diva-type music-by-committee fluff, as opposed to traditional rock and roll. Exceptions?

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 85
cub
The Pipettes

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 85
L7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L7_%28band%29

The band gained a certain amount of notoriety for their performance at the 1992 Reading Festival, when Donita Sparks removed her tampon on-stage and threw it into the crowd in protest against the missiles being thrown by the crowd. In the UK, the band are most famous/notorious for an appearance on the popular late-night entertainment programme The Word, in which Sparks pulled her pants down to reveal her pubic area. During a live show in London in 2000, the band offered a one night stand with Dee Plakas as a raffle prize, the winner claimed his prize of sex with her on the tour bus.

tongue.gif

l7-01.jpg

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 85
Short answer is not really, very very rare in number.

There are many hard rock/metal groups with female singers that rock, and bands mainly male with a female musician.......but these would not count as female group.

As far as female groups that rock there were a few in the 1990's part of "Riot Girl" movement inspired by Joan Jett/Runaways like:
L7
Bikini Kill
Babes in Toyland
7 year bitch
Lunachicks
etc

Most are more sedate mainstream pop like Go Gos, Donnas etc
A few lame metal groups like Drain STH, Kittie etc

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
During a live show in London in 2000, the band offered a one night stand with Dee Plakas as a raffle prize, the winner claimed his prize of sex with her on the tour bus.

OK, but greatness isn't measured by how many guys you can fuck in one night. Does L7 rock with the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 85
Check out...

PJ Harvey's early stuff (Rid of Me, 4-Track Demos)
The Breeders
The Amps
Elastica (especially their album The Menace)
Le Tigre (especially their first album, self-titled)
Bikini Kill (though some of their stuff is a little too angry, their last album Reject All American is awesome)
Bratmobile (if you like lo-fi punk with a bit of a surf guitar influence)

There's also a woman named Marnie Stern who's supposed to be a hard-core shredder on a guitar, but I haven't bought her stuff yet.

And three female artists I've been digging a lot lately are Annie, The Blow, and MIA. None of these are rockers really, but each does something that's definitely not singer-songwriter stuff. Annie is kind of like traditional dance pop (in the tradition of Madonna) except that it's really really good (and really well produced); The Blow is similar to Annie except a little more lo-fi and the electronic beats are more experimental; and M.I.A., if you don't know her already, is a Sri Lankian hip hopper who mixes elements of world music to create a bumpin' pastiche. She's also got a great voice.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 85
Jul 21, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost forgot Lita Ford.

OK, but just because there was a girl 40 years ago that you almost forgot about doesn't really make for a very strong argument
smily_headphones1.gif

Who are the girls rocking today?

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 85
If you are talking about an all girl band active now:
hardest rocking I know is dark metal group Astarte from Greece.

If you are talking about girl vocalist active now:
Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy is totally legit, deep rasp better than many men

angelagossow1.jpg

very rare to find all girl group that really rocks hard......that are legit and can be compared male group without qualifiers.

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by god_is_a_fraud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why does gender matter? It's sad when people look at the world through gender...

Some of us like that there are two genders. Makes the world go round.

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, but just because there was a girl 40 years ago that you almost forgot about doesn't really make for a very strong argument
smily_headphones1.gif

Who are the girls rocking today?

I don't believe there was an age restriction by the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back