Can electrostatic headphones damage electronic equipment (hearing aids)?
May 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheIronnWolf

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have rather unusual question, but I know there are people who understand electronics better than me on this forum and I wonder what they think.

I wear hearing aids, in the ear ones. I listen to dynamic headphones while wearing them, and had no problems (essentially equalizer but with no clipping). I'd like to try Stax headphones, but I wonder if electrostatic headphones can damage my hearing aids.

Well, a bit about hearing aids. It's a microphone (obviously mike won't get hurt).  They have digital circuity, battery powered micro amplifier and Bluetooth radio to communicate between each other (in pair). Does anyone has any insights if electrostatic drivers can possibly damage those? Don't want to take chances as they are expensive.

For simplicity, can electrostatic headphones damage, say a smart phone placed against them while playing?

Thanks!
V.

May 10, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't see where the concern is so the short answer is no. If the word "electrostatic" alarms you with regards to electronics, you shouldn't as that is simply the principle in which the driver operates. It doesn't produce ESD or anything like that.

May 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, that sounds reassuring. It's just high voltage used in drivers made me concerned, but I am not electrical engineer. Someone on this forum also mentioned they felt tingling or hair standing up with such phones. But you're right, as long as there's no ESD there's not much to worry about.

May 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, if it's safe enough to put right next to my ear, I won't see the "high voltage" as an risk. That is provided that I don't misuse the cans.

If it's fine with dynamic cans, I don't see why it won't work with electrostatic cans.

May 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't think it could damage it unless the headphone arced, but that would be extremely dangerous and rare. Your headphones would have to be severely messed up for that to happen. I see no problem with it, but I'm not an electronics expert or anything. It's very low electrostatic force anyway, since electrostatic diaphragms are thin to get good transients.

May 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 8
The charged flat plates on either side of the diaphragm could possibly give off intereference. Can you use a cell phone ok with the aids?

You could ask in the Stax thread here since it gets lots of views and traffic. http://www.head-fi.org/t/677809/the-stax-thread-iii

May 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for all the replies. I get feedback (whistling) if I push anything against hearing aids. In most full size dynamic headphones that's not a problem, there's a gap between microphone and the driver, so no problems. I have to keep cell phone (or any phone) tiny bit away from the ear to use it. I am not so concerned about microphone, but I was more concerned about digital circuity inside hearing aid being close to 580V, yet again I am not electrical engineer. It sounds however like there's nothing to worry about and I'll be able to try Stax, which is exciting!

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 8
for anyone who wears hearing aids and is trying to use headphones and comes across this thread. 

Turn your hearing aids to t-coil mode if your hearing aids have it it will work better but you might have to reposition them so the headphones are more over the hearing aids if you wear behind the ear models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back