Can Dolby Atmos for headphones work with a DAC?
Aug 12, 2018 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jdanzphd

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been searching around and have yet to find any definitive answer.
Can you use dolby atmos for headphones with an external dac? I have an old Fiio Alpen and it doesn't really seem to work. I can turn atmos on, but attempting to hear sample content through the atmos app nothing comes out and it tells me to check my set up. I am using the SPIDF input.

I finally have a desktop set up and was planning on getting a Schiit stack, but as I enjoy atmos for overwatch and I really don't want to have to switch back and forth.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 2
I have been searching around and have yet to find any definitive answer.
Can you use dolby atmos for headphones with an external dac? I have an old Fiio Alpen and it doesn't really seem to work. I can turn atmos on, but attempting to hear sample content through the atmos app nothing comes out and it tells me to check my set up. I am using the SPIDF input.

Is it Atmos for headphones? Because Atmos is ATMOSphere, ie, a surround speaker that doubles the FL-C-FR if not all speakers that are set higher, that way when some sounds are meant to come from above - like the Quinn Jet and Iron Man take on Loki in Germany, or when a Blackhawk hovering overhead gets shot and comes down - you'd hear more of some SFX (and dialogue, as when Black Widow threatens Loki with an autocannon) coming from above.

If that isn't Atmos for headphones the E17K is receiving a surround signal which is why it won't work on it or any other 2ch DAC. If that's a laptop, double check with the manufacturer because in some cases headphone processing only works when you're driving headphones from its headphone out port. Alternately try a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable into the E17Ks analogue input and see if anything happens (although height on headphones is just about as problematic for reproduction as rear channels).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back