Can Con 6 ~ Impressions Thread ~ (27th February 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #31 of 84
It was an amazing day at Can Con 6 and certainly great to have met so many from Head-Fi. As expressed by others, I do want to thank the organisers, Paul and hpz for an excellent job.

The turnout was smaller than expected. There were less than 15 of us but the gear on display were certainly classy. No shortages of TOTL headphones, amps and DACs. A smaller group means everyone had lots of opportunity to try out all the gear and to meet one another. There has not been a more friendly and enthusiastic group here and it's my pleasure to have met all of you.

Every setup sounded great and here are my short summary:-

VI Dac with a selection of headphones with after market cables sounded very clean, clear and good. The headphones are AKG702, HE500, HD700, HD650. The silver cable on the HD650 certainly improved the sound quality of it and I've been convinced to do that to my own HD650. VI Dac looks futuristic and is certainly a nice sounding amp/dac.

Woo Audio WA2 with Amperex Bugle Boy tubes and GEC 6AS7G, Metrum Hex dac, HD800 is a combination that works really well. It changes my misconception that the WA2 is a relax and overly warm tube amp because in this combination, it is certainly not and sounded clear, detail and good.

It was great to hear the Audio Gd Master 6 and Audio Gd DAC running HD800S in balanced mode. This setup certainly make the HD800S sound clear, detail and exciting.

Listening to Violectric V281 running a Beyer T1 in balanced mode puts a smile on my face. I love this amp. Great sound.

It was the first time I heard HD800 and HD800S and I must say, much as I love my T1, I'm quite drawn to the sound from HD800. Enough to make me want one. I'm also more drawn towards the original HD800 sound over the S version. The original sounded clearer to me while the S version has a more pronounced bass. Both sounded lovely though and should please anyone looking for a super revealing headphone.

Special edition black Beyer T1 look and sounded lovely. Very nice. I want it too.

Lastly the Stax setup. Erwin brought all his good stuff to the meet it seems. There's Stax 009, 007, Senn baby Orpheus HE60, Blue Hawaii electrostatic amp running 4 x Svetlana EL34. Schitt top of the range DAC Yggdrasil with a new street price of $3900. I've not heard a better setup playing some lovely Dave Brubeck pieces and selections of Jazz songs. Simply stunning and Erwin's enthusiasm is infectious. it was lovely to have met John too, who thinks that my Elise tube amp sounded good. John also have similar Stax and BHSE setup at home.

That's it from me. 

Ps... Was great to have met Cameroon from MaxMedia and the ifi gear certainly look interesting. Likewise JimmyBoei with his Woo Audio WA6se, HD800 and black T1. The friendly JimmyS with Chord Hugo and HD800S. First time I lay eyes on the Chord Mojo. Haha it looks so small and cute. I'm sorry if I miss out names here but I can certainly remember all the faces. Andre, Nordi, drez etc. Thanks folks it was nice to have met you. Looking forward to the next one.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #33 of 84
Awesome meet, I missed it
smily_headphones1.gif
UT I think you're listening to GEC tubes on Elise in that picture of yours
biggrin.gif
Those HPs are huge.

That was a pair of JVC headphone that I was trying. It's rather huge looking and is too bassy for me I'm afraid.

I had the chance to listen with many headphones including AKG K812, AKG Maestro, Fostex  th-x100. My favourites are HD800, HD800s, various Beyer T1 and a great sounding AKG 702 with after market cables. HD650 with silver cables impressed me too.

Lastly the Stax headphones and Senns HE60 are super revealing and clean. I particularly like the Stax 009, 007 with Blue Hawaii and Schitt Yggdrasil. These are best suited for classical and jazz. LR, sell your Focal Utopia. These are what you want. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #35 of 84
  G'day mates, I would be interested to hear anyone else's take on the sound of UntilThen's Elise amp compared to other amps present. And UT, I take if you hadn't unleashed the the EL3N's on your setup?

No I was too busy moving around trying out other setups and gear. I left the 7N7 and 5998 on. EL3N will be showcased in another meet. 

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #36 of 84
Wasn't that a DIY T2 in the pics? 15 guys for all this gear, sounds like an awesome meet to me!!

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #37 of 84
Wasn't that a DIY T2 in the pics? 15 guys for all this gear, sounds like an awesome meet to me!!

Are you referring to the big custom tube amp next to the Blue Hawaii? John and Erwin told me that sounded better than the BH but unfortunately one channel has no sound so I was unable to try it.

Yes less than 15 people to a big room full of quality gear. You can listen in silence without distraction. This is like an amazing private meet.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #38 of 84
  (snip) John and Erwin told me that sounded better than the BH but unfortunately one channel has no sound so I was unable to try it.

(snip)

The problem wasn't there being no sound, but a hissing sound in the left channel which may have been caused by one of the headphones, but it was deemed best to turn the amp off and investigate the situation later.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #39 of 84
  The problem wasn't there being no sound, but a hissing sound in the left channel which may have been caused by one of the headphones, but it was deemed best to turn the amp off and investigate the situation later.

I see. What a shame I couldn't hear it. 
bigsmile_face.gif

John told me the parts for that amp cost more than 6 grand !!! 
L3000.gif

Precisely what's in these 2 black chassis.

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #40 of 84
Sure. There was the stax setup and the yggy and the woo amps and the v281 and some top end audio gd and the latest hd800s and the chord Hugo and .......

But how good were the he500's?!?!?!

It was great to bring my set up and try some new headphones with it.

Thanks for a great day for those organising it and for a good meet up for all those who attended.

And for those who didn't show up - you dirty bludgers!!! Hope fully we'll see you people next time.

By the way Paul if you might be interested in the fiio x5 with two (fully loaded) 128gb memory cards already in it and looking at offloading your he500s drop me a PM.

Thanks everyone.

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 84
Sure. There was the stax setup and the yggy and the woo amps and the v281 and some top end audio gd and the latest hd800s and the chord Hugo and .......

But how good were the he500's?!?!?!

The HE500 sounded really good. I didn't think it sounded that good at other demos previously.
I want it but unfortunately the fit is not very good for my head, so I had to constantly hold onto it.

It makes me feel like the sound quality of high end headphones are mostly governed by the ergonomic fit.

I thought the King Sound electrostatic headphones that Maxmedia brought over sounded excellent, but had too much variation in the sound depending on how you position it.
I actually found it to sound terribly reflective when worn like usual, but amazing when I had the drivers spaced 10mm away from my head and angled against the ears (almost like a K1000). Someone should make a corrective headgear for it.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #42 of 84

I see. What a shame I couldn't hear it. 
bigsmile_face.gif

John told me the parts for that amp cost more than 6 grand !!! 
L3000.gif

Precisely what's in these 2 black chassis.

Lots of very high quality and expensive goodies......!   
blink.gif

wink_face.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #43 of 84
Hello everyone.
Just want to mention that I think I will be busy from mid September until next year October. So what I am proposing is next Can Con in August/September 2016 or October 2017. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #45 of 84
This year's good for me. Prefer on a Sunday.

If it's the same crowd it will be the same gear. Is another venue possible in another part of sydney so as to get additional people that might not want to travel.

I can't think of any off hand but happy to keep a look out

I personally have no issue in travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back