Can con 3 (Sydney,Australia meet) - Jan 12th 2013 - 9:30am-6:30pm, Epping.
Jan 12, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #211 of 239
Quote:

Yeah, I think this is true, BTW did you think it was within reach of the Buffalo32s?  You are right about the features, and the included amp is fastastic, so I could feasibly sell everything and still have a working setup with just the Invicta.  The HD800 was fantastic off the headphone out.

Given I only had a short time with it, I'd say that it equalled the buf32s at the very least.
The other features are just gravy.

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #212 of 239
Awesome day was had indeed!! I also liked the HD800s the soundstage was amazing, when playing Amber Rubarth's binaural recorded new album they were just magic. The T1 with the tube amp sent shivers up my spine in a good way, the sound was warm and silky, so inviting and as a added bonus would be a great heater in winter, that thing was cookin :) also really enjoyed the Fostex HP-A8 I think this will be my next buy, having great sound, DSD support and a remote wins it over for me.

Just want to thank everyone for letting us demo your gear, thanks :) And a HUGE thanking you to the organisers great work!!

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #214 of 239
I would like to thank pkwak and syvr for their hard work to put together this meet.

I had a chance to use my Invicta dac with various dynamic headphones and I must say i'm very impressed with the HD800 from the bunch of headphones I tried.  It gets awfully close to a stax setup.  The Beyer T1s were also very good, but the HD800's where a match made in heaven.

Thank you Wink (erwin) for donating the headphones for the raffle! I'm still stoked to able to win them!

Overall great day. Awaiting the next meet :D

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #215 of 239
Did you take the HE-6 with you as well? Was the HD800 running off the analogue outs? Seems like you might have found something you were looking for...

I couldnt compare directly as I had to leave my desktop gear at home, but I'm 100% set on buying the invicta, I just need to sell off my other gear. Ditto hd800. I definately found what I was looking for with that setup.

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #217 of 239
Thank you Audio Technica TAG (Techincal Audio Group) and everyone for attending the meet. Without you guys, the meet would not have happened. And thank you for all your positive feedbacks and encouragements.
Here are some photos~

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #218 of 239
Thanks pkwak and svyr for organizing the event. It turned out great.
Also thanks Audio Technica for bringing around the latest gear.

I was able to try out all the gear, and was very happy about being able to listen to the new Audio Technica, Denon and Yamaha headphones that I only just saw on magazines recently.

hpz's Invicta DAC was really impressive (and well worth the price). it even made K702 deep and rich sounding. I should really bring along an SD card with some of my music for the next meet.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #219 of 239
Hey guys,

a) I'd like to thank Paul (pkwak) for co-organizing and everybody for coming along
b) AudioTechnica Sydney (TAG) for coming along with some of their old and new line-up. (I liked the AD900x, as a 'fun headphone' (though they weigh a bit too much), and AD2000x sounded more rounded and refined)
c) Rhapsodio for sending their new RDB+ Hybrid IEM for us to try along with a portable P&D amp and some cables. If anyone else is interested in reviewing those after me, please send me a PM. Hope you guys enjoyed trying them, informally acting as a vendor was an interesting experience :D
d) Separate thanks to the people who brought their gear to compare.
e) Special thanks to Erwin (wink) for the raffle and a fun chat as always. [and him and navii for the lifts :D ]
f) second special thanks to sandalaudio - I sat right next to the headphone Christmas tree and tried most of them :D . fun chats too
g) pity some people couldn't make it, I hope we'll see you next time.

Gear-wise, I was pretty impressed with HD800 and T1, out of various setups. Even some portable amps seemed to make them sound quite nice. [and not many setups seemed to exaggerate what people generally cite as unpleasant in HD800]. I was also surprisingly impressed with AKG K550 on the darker amps. It seemed like a nice closed balanced HP with a crisp sound.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #220 of 239
I was amazed by sandalaudio's headphone tree and his friendly nature to let everyone try them all out! :) Actually everybody was so welcoming and gave me advice and some of the conversations were over hy head.

Very impressive were the HD800s. I listened to a vocal track and the female voice was just "glowing". The T1 and Little Dot set up was magical too and a little hot hehe

One pleasant surprise were the Sony Tonka truck wheel headphones. I was expecting something horrible, but the sound signature grabbed me as did the headphones on my head!

I'm looking forward to sharing more pizza with you guys next time.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #222 of 239
I wish I could make it, but as my kind family reminded me on friday before the meet up "Family reunion are more important than your hobbies". Thanks guys for organizing such an event, glad to see AT there. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #223 of 239
Quote:
I wish I could make it, but as my kind family reminded me on friday before the meet up "Family reunion are more important than your hobbies". Thanks guys for organizing such an event, glad to see AT there. 

You should have told them this is also a family reunion with your extended family from headfi :wink:.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #225 of 239

Quote:
f) second special thanks to sandalaudio - I sat right next to the headphone Christmas tree and tried most of them
biggrin.gif
. fun chats too

Quote:
I was amazed by sandalaudio's headphone tree and his friendly nature to let everyone try them all out!

One pleasant surprise were the Sony Tonka truck wheel headphones. I was expecting something horrible, but the sound signature grabbed me as did the headphones on my head!

The headphone "tree" was all thanks to Pkwak giving me a lift to the venue. I hope there was something for everybody.

I bought the Sony Tonka Truck (MDR-XB1000) simply for novelty and the fact that it was discontinued recently, but I was also amazed by how "normal" it sounded with good refined highs and wide sound stage. In fact, it needs quite a beefy amp to get any real bass out of it. I guess it didn't sell well to the iPod crowd expecting massive bass boom from portable devices.

The current XB series (XB700, XB900) are much easier to drive with pumping over-emphasized mid-bass, so I don't bother with them, but this XB1000 is certainly worth a proper listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back