Can anyone recommend some great ambient music for studying?
Aug 22, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #76 of 79
Biosphere has some pretty good ambient albums. I haven't really given a good listen to his music yet, but it is definitely worth a look. Try out the album Substrata first. It is very ambient: the music is built on textures rather than melodies and harmonies.

As for myself, I listen to anything from my library during study, but I usually switch on my cheap logitech speakers and turn the volume down so the music is more ambient noise than anything. I find that if I listen to music with headphones on during study, the music seems too upfront even at low levels. I like music running in the background while I work, but I don't like having part of my concentration consciously or subconsciously diverted because the music is either too loud or too good sounding (which is why I use my bad speakers). To me, it's kind of like the idiom "it's so loud I can't hear myself think"
dt880smile.png

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #78 of 79
from my experience, i find myself most concentrated when playing 1 song over and over and over again. No way how to explain it, but i guess the brain get used to the song and won't get distracted. even if i play multiple soft songs or classical, i cant be as much concentrated. and any classical song is too long. so choose ur one favourite song of the day and repeat it.

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #79 of 79
Quote:

That's a closed-minded approach to ambient music listening.

Sure, some ambient music rewards deep, intensive listening; the sonic holograms of Matt Hillier, the deep, tribal undulations of Steve Roach and the ethereal acoustic mandalas of Alio Die spring to mind. But most of it does not, and isn't meant to. Most of it is meant to be played at a low volume and 'heard' but not actively listened to. The liner notes to several albums instruct the listener to do exactly this. I generally listen to ambient when I don't want to actively listen, such as when I'm already doing something, about to go sleep, or even if I'm feeling introspective.

I'm not sure why you'd characterize Brian Eno's 'Ambient 1:Music for Airports' as 'ambient noise', since it's one of the most famous pure ambient albums, not to mention that Eno is the man that coined the term 'ambient music.' According to him, 'Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting.'

There's no need to 'resent' that notion - I assure you that the artists don't. :wink:
well said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back