Can anyone recommend some great ambient music for studying?
Sep 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #31 of 79
Here's the one and only (for me, that is):

Jean-Michel Jarre: En Attendant Cousteau, track 4

It's 46 minutes, has no real melody and is the perfect learning accompaniment. It miraculously cancels out background noises and when it ends, you know you should take a little break.

I listened to 'En Attendant Cousteau' hundreds of times while preparing for exam and never got tired of it.

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #33 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trentemoller!

I like Trentemoller quite a bit, but he's really not ambient and would make pretty distracting study music.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #34 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Trentemoller quite a bit, but he's really not ambient and would make pretty distracting study music.

I would tend to agree with MoodySteve…I've enjoyed Trentemoller as well but it tends to be a bit beat driven and frenetic at times with some vocals sprinkled in on rare occasion which I think he was trying to avoid. For me it might be a little challenging if I was really trying to concentrate. If I was just chilling out then I would be in. Really fun stuff all the same and should be checked out if you have the chance. I would suggest “Trentmoller Chronicles” as a starting point.

I’ll try and put a little list together later today for some more food for thought.

Cheers,

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the brian eno suggestions are intriguing me. i've heard of him...havent heard his stuff...is that ambient stuff he did the type of music you could put on and fall asleep to?

Falling asleep to Brian Eno's compositions would be the highest level of insult you could possibly achieve.

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #36 of 79
My opinion is that no music should be on when studying. Take this from a bozo that took five years, three colleges and a variety of drugs to get a degree. Music is a distraction; what one does not need is to be distracted from what they need to learn.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #37 of 79
Lots of great suggestions above…

As promised here are a few more to check out that I have enjoyed through the years. I tend to like more organically influenced ambient material when reading so as to not get too relaxed and sleepy. Most of this falls in that genre.

Don't know how this kind of stuff would work in the "studying" mode...I haven't had to study for years and didn't listen to music when I did.

A Produce
Amir Baghiri
William Basinski
Biosphere
Richard Bone
Forest Fang
Ruben Garcia
Jeff Greinke
Robin Guthrie
Human Mesh Dance
Bill Laswell (selected works)
Main
Mandible Chatter
Mo Boma
David Morley
Pete Namlook
Vidna Obmana
Oophoi
O Yuki Conjugant
Nick Parkin
Jorge Reyes
Rapoon
Suso Saiz
Paul Schutze
Seefeel
Shinjuku Thief
Stars Of The Lid
Stillpoint
Suspended Memories
Antonio Testa
Tuu

Hope that helps…the reality is we are just scratching the surface here, but that is the beauty of so much music yet to heard.

What’s cool is a lot of it still holds up from one generation to the next. In fact a couple nights ago I was relaxing listening to Harold Budd and Brian Eno’s “The Pearl.” Nearly a quarter of century later and it’s still a classic…and I didn’t fall asleep.
wink.gif

Cheers,

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Falling asleep to Brian Eno's compositions would be the highest level of insult you could possibly achieve.

LOL, i didnt mean it in that sense. trying to get a feel if its that possibly chilled out type of music...or is it a bit more upbeat?

Sep 8, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #39 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, it probably just means you are tired.
tongue.gif

ZepFloyd - Yes, It's really laid back stuff. You can easily drift off to it.
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #40 of 79
I think that a mark of a good ambient record is if I can sleep to it in the afternoon and have interesting dreams. It's definitely no insult to an ambient producer if you can fall asleep to his/her music...quite the opposite, in fact.

Sep 8, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #41 of 79
I'm going to go ahead and agree with almost everyone by saying Brian Eno. Also going to re-recommend Robert Rich's Somnium. Also going to throw in a Lustmord (similar to Robert Rich in some ways, they collaborated on "Stalker").

If you're at all into black metal, I'll second Summoning and throw out Austere. Long songs, somewhat repetitive melody (in a good way), accompanied by vocals that basically fade into the background because there is no way you can understand them. They become like an instrument in themselves.

Cheers.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #43 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the one and only (for me, that is):

Jean-Michel Jarre: En Attendant Cousteau, track 4

It's 46 minutes, has no real melody and is the perfect learning accompaniment. It miraculously cancels out background noises and when it ends, you know you should take a little break.

I listened to 'En Attendant Cousteau' hundreds of times while preparing for exam and never got tired of it.

Completed my dissertation in one sitting to this track in 1992, 'Waiting for Cousteau' (en Anglais). The track was on repeat over the 20 hour period I drained my brain of all I knew of 'The zonation of three species of intertidal Molluscs'. It had further resonance for me as Jacques Cousteau first sparked my interest in Biology and Natural History in the mid 70's and was what I wanted to watch when we got our first Colour TV
happy_face1.gif

Edit: wanted to add Eno's 'Atmospheres and Soundtracks'

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #45 of 79
Brian Eno -- Music for Airports. Good also to listen to in airports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back