Can anyone give me advice re: X-PSU ?
Nov 15, 2002 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I am using the standard 12V AC 500ma "wallwart" that came supplied with the musical fidelity X- Can V2.

I have heard great reports about the MF X-PSU but can't manage to source one in the UK at the present time.

The UK specifications of the X-PSU are:

Input: AC 230V 50hz
Output: AC 12V 20 VA

Now here is my question:

I have a Toroidal Transformer rated at the following:

Input: AC 230V 50hZ
Output: AC 12V 50 VA

Its "VA" is 50VA compared to the X-PSU's 20VA which shouldn't prove to be a problem or should it??

There is no need for a rectifier or capacitors as the power supply is AC to AC and therefore doesn't need these components to convert to DC.

So... taking all this into consideration will it just be a case of me connecting the toroidals inputs to the mains and running a connector to the X-Can from the toroidals 12v output ?

I will probably be connecting an off off switch to the power supply and maybe an LED that will light when the power is on.

Is there anything "obvious" that I have missed out here and are there any other components I should be configuring into the Toroidal?

My only slight concern was the higher VA rating of my transformer (compared to the X-PSU) but surely it's better having "too much" current on tap rather than not enough?

Your comments will be very much appreciated.

Pinkie

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 8
Yeah, I wouldn't think that it could cause any problems. I'd think it'd just make things sound better

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Yeah, I wouldn't think that it could cause any problems. I'd think it'd just make things sound better

Wouldn't it need to be conditioned and / or regulated in some way though?

Pinkie

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Wouldn't it need to be conditioned and / or regulated in some way though?

Pinkie

The regulation and conditioning takes place inside your amplifier. The AC from the toroidal/ X-psu is bridged rectified, buffered and then regulated in the X-cans.

I'd only worry if the x-cans required DC voltage.

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 8
I have one of those variable transformers for mine... nothing special, dirt cheap ~ but does the job...

it has a current capacity of 1amp... and is voltage switchable... it sounds great in its own right, a fair bit better than the standard PSU... but, I wonder what it'd sound like if I increased the voltage....

not sure that I dare though... don't wanna kill my amplifier..

does anyone know if its safe to put 13.5, or 15 volts into the X-Can V2?

Thanks

Nov 17, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I have one of those variable transformers for mine... nothing special, dirt cheap ~ but does the job...

it has a current capacity of 1amp... and is voltage switchable... it sounds great in its own right, a fair bit better than the standard PSU... but, I wonder what it'd sound like if I increased the voltage....

not sure that I dare though... don't wanna kill my amplifier..

does anyone know if its safe to put 13.5, or 15 volts into the X-Can V2?

Thanks

If the X-can V2 uses capacitors that can handle the voltage you put in, it'll be fine. The voltage regulation will still limit the final voltage going to the amp itself. The capacitors before the voltage regulators would be affected by the higher voltage though.
However, since the final voltage is still fixed, you wouldn't see that much of a difference by increasing the AC voltage.

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info
wink.gif

So really all I need are the following:

A case and chassis
230V AC 50Hz Toroidal with 12V 50VA output
IEC Mains inlet filter
On / Off Switch
DC lead to connect to x-can

Connect them all up inside the case and that's all there is to it??

Pinkie

Nov 18, 2002 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Thanks for the info
wink.gif

So really all I need are the following:

A case and chassis
230V AC 50Hz Toroidal with 12V 50VA output
IEC Mains inlet filter
On / Off Switch
DC lead to connect to x-can

Connect them all up inside the case and that's all there is to it??

Pinkie

Yes. Make sure your switch is rated for what you use. A 12v, 3A switch won't last quite long on the mains line.

One more important item! FUSE!! Make sure you have one. And the apporpriate holder as well.

If you could open the X-can's to take a look inside. That would be great. I can't confirm that there is some form of regulation (look for heatsinked stuff) in the amp but there should be. No regulation == Bad. Period.

Take care, keep one hand behind your back and good luck. Let us know your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back