Can anyone compare Xonar Essence DAC to a standalone one?
Jun 2, 2009 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
Currently I am using the DAC on my ASUS Xonar soundcard, since I have no other DAC at the moment (I used to own a V-DAC but ultimately did not like it). So this means I have the two RCA outputs of my Xonar Essence connected to the inputs of my Lehmann Audio Rhinelander headphone amplifier.

What I am wondering is whether anyone here has specifically been able to compare the DAC in the Essence (i.e the DAC only via the RCA analogue output on the Essence, but NOT the integrated headphone amplifier on the Essence), to a standalone DAC? By standalone, I do not mean a DAC designed solely to be connected to a computer - I mean a DAC that will work completely independantly of one.

I am basically looking for something at least as refined as the DAC on the Xonar, since I would like to do my listening in my bedroom well away from my PC. So I am looking for something at least as good as the Xonar DAC, but I would expect I should be able to get something more refined in light of the cost of the Xonar versus a good standalone DAC.

If anyone can draw a direct comparision between the Xonar DAC and a standalone one that is currently on the market (i.e you own both and have done listening comparisons), please let me know your findings.

Thanks

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Don't expect to get a good standalone DAC for the same price that'll match the dac on the essence. Its been mentioned before that the essence is a phenomenal value for what you get, so I'm almost 100% sure you can't get a standalone DAC for $200 that'll sound better then the essence.

First, Xonar is built by Asus and few other companies, ESPECIALLY at that price range, can make DAC components that cheap. Then you get into power supply issues. If you get a dac with a cheap wall-wart, it won't be as crisp. The Essence is already fed by a linear, regulated DC power supply (your computer's PS) which is better then most wall-warts.

I've compared it to the dac in the 3MOVE, and its honestly no contest. The big drawback to the essence is that its not portable at all, but what you get if you can listen to something where your computer is, is an unbeatable value as far as DACs go.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 18
indeed a good stable PS will make a world of a diff.

and when ppl compare the STX to external DAC's, they use the lousy stock op-amps(which are slightly improved 5532)....the card didn't impress me as much as when I put LME49720 on it, then it became stellar
beerchug.gif

of course some killer external DAC would crush it, but not in the same price range it would appear.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 18
The DAC chip itself used on the STX is one of the best made by any company. There is more to a audio device then just the DAC chip but the heart of the STX is one serious digital to analog converter which can provide specifications and measurments far beyond many external units.
For price to performance ratio, I doubt you can find a better buy then the STX for headphone use.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 18
@ROBSCIX : And which pair/s of headphones do you recomand with STX? Something with approximatly same price/performance ratio. I have no doubt that STX can drive a lot of headphones, even those hard to drive but I'm interested by some kind of synergy.

Thank you.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't expect to get a good standalone DAC for the same price that'll match the dac on the essence. Its been mentioned before that the essence is a phenomenal value for what you get, so I'm almost 100% sure you can't get a standalone DAC for $200 that'll sound better then the essence.

I never mentioned a price
smily_headphones1.gif
- I am happy to spend what it takes to get similar or better performance, but not more than about $800, since for that price I might as well just build another PC and put it in my bedroom (taking up a lot of unneccessary space).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've compared it to the dac in the 3MOVE, and its honestly no contest.

Thanks for the comparison, but can you confirm that you were using the exact same headphone amplifier section in both tests please? (i.e the headphone section in the Corda). Otherwise the comparison would be tainted by the different qualities of the respective amplifier sections.

@leeperry and Rob: Doesn't the replaceable op amp in the Essence only effect the headphone amplifier section on it, or does it effect the line RCA (Speaker) outputs as well? I am only using the RCA outputs on the Essence since my Lehmann Rhinelander is vastly superior to the inbuilt headphone amplifier on the Essence.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 2 I/V op-amps affect both, the 3rd one only affects the RCA out.

do yourself a favor, order 3x LME49720NA samples
wink.gif

Hehe. Thanks, but I am perfectly happy with the sound as it is
smily_headphones1.gif
All I want to do is get the same quality of sound from a standalone DAC as I am getting with the Essence DAC.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 18
sorry for OT, but could you briefly compare Rhinelander with amp in Essence? i'm thinking about getting Rhinelander but there are very few people that have heard the thing. i read your impressions in other thread, but not direct comparison with TI amp. also i was under impression you listen mostly to classics, do you listen to other genres on occasion? thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Rob: Doesn't the replaceable op amp in the Essence only effect the headphone amplifier section on it, or does it effect the line RCA (Speaker) outputs as well? I am only using the RCA outputs on the Essence since my Lehmann Rhinelander is vastly superior to the inbuilt headphone amplifier on the Essence.

There are three opamps on the STX.
Stock the card has two JRC 2114D's they are for I/V Conversion. The DAC on the STX is a current output part and requires a conversion section.
The last one is a LM4562NA and it is used as a single ended buffer.

All three work together for the line-outs.

When you switch to headphones, the relays on the card switch the LM4562 out of the circuit and the TI TPA6120A2 headphone amp chip into the circuit.
the JRC2114D will still affect the sound quality of the headphone out.
wink.gif

Hope that Helps.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for OT, but could you briefly compare Rhinelander with amp in Essence? i'm thinking about getting Rhinelander but there are very few people that have heard the thing. i read your impressions in other thread, but not direct comparison with TI amp. also i was under impression you listen mostly to classics, do you listen to other genres on occasion? thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

With my Rhinelander I only listen to classical. I do ocassionally listen to other genres in the car or from a portable bedside radio, but only incidentally (i.e ABC Classic FM intermingles some "light" music on their peak time radio programs).

The Rhinelander is far more detailed, dynamic and controlled sounding than the headphone amp in the Essence. There really is no contest. Think of the improvement that the Essence headphone amp has over a $10 CMoy, then take that same difference between the Rhinelander and the Essence.

The Rhinelander is also dead neutral with incredible extension into the high frequency stratosphere, whereas the Essence tends to be rather rich, warm and almost rolled-off sounding imo. On that account, if your system is on the bright side, you might err on the safety of the Essence. But if your system is already well balanced, the Rhinelander is definitely worthy of consideration.

It is actually quite a shock for me to unplug from the Essence and plug into the Rhinelander instead. I really can't overstate the massive difference in terms of dynamics, detail, clarity and control. But again it is horses for courses. If you are a tubey, rich, warm audiophile, then maybe the honesty of the Rhinelander could all be a bit too much.

Don't get me wrong - they are both great amps, but the Rhinelander really does seem to be a couple of classes ahead in terms of absolute fidelity. Perhaps this should be expected given that you can buy three Essence cards for the price of one Rhinelander. Of course it was the absolutely superb analogue to digital convertion and the excellent DAC that I bought the Essence for - not the headphone amp anyway.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 18
thanks for precise description. it was same for me, i bought essence mainly for its DAC section, which is superb for its money. i'm not sure how well would analytical amp pair up with analytical headphones. maybe it would be too much like you said. could you also comment on bass of Rhinelander compared to Essence amp?

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you also comment on bass of Rhinelander compared to Essence amp?

The bass on the Rhinelander is better defined, clearer and has better timing than the Essence. But as for actual volume of bass, pretty much the same for both.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass on the Rhinelander is better defined, clearer and has better timing than the Essence.

...which is directly related to the lousy stock-amps.
the Rhinelander is $700? I bet they didn't put lousy 5532/2114 in it
regular_smile .gif

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...92354-p-7.html
Quote:

Everybody -in different locations, at different times, without knowing from each other- told the same story, that they found the differences between opamps more important than the differences in dac chips.

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 18
Rhinelander is €370. so maybe $400/450 given how €->$ conversion works. it seems that i either save up for his big brother, Black Cube Linear, or get the Heed CanAmp, which is said to have great synergy with K701.

i don't want to be all OT, so little suggestion from me is you audition the Cambridge Audio DacMagic. i haven't heard it myself but review at Stereophile was positive and it might suit your preference for transparent and uncolored sound. review below

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalpr...ter/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back