Can anyone compare the o2/odac with magni/modi?
Feb 26, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 20
  ..... http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-magni-modi-vs-o2-odac

Hope that helps. 

One of these days I'm going to do my own god damned comparison review of them because I'm sick of that one. And I'll do it right, which involves swapping the boxes and other tests.

Whatever you think of it, read the fine print about IEMs and the like.

ODAC uses a better DAC chip and O2 is less bright. Better sound and forthright measurements are more important to me than cost and looks.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 20

One of these days I'm going to do my own god damned comparison review of them because I'm sick of that one. And I'll do it right, which involves swapping the boxes and other tests.

ODAC uses a better DAC chip and O2 is less bright. Better sound and forthright measurements are more important to me than cost and looks.

Please do. People who replied to the thread gave some of their own two cents so it helps the comparison. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 20
  Please do. People who replied to the thread gave some of their own two cents so it helps the comparison. 

I don't want to be a part of that thread. Unfortunately, I can't spare the extra money as I'm trying to improve my own set up. I have respect for the author, but he was probably tired of the question and wanted to come up with an easy answer.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 20

So do you mean ES9023 better than AKM4396?
1 more thing I have just found that Modi can perform at 88.2/24 but ODAC can't.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 20
  So do you mean ES9023 better than AKM4396?
1 more thing I have just found that Modi can perform at 88.2/24 but ODAC can't.

Yes, I meant the Sabre DAC. That's why it's more expensive. With ODAC, you're certainly not paying for looks. 
biggrin.gif

I don't know how the lack of 24/88.2 would affect performance. It's certainly worth knowing about. Ask in the Sound Science forum.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 20
The measurements of the two wont play so much into your decision to buy either or.  Both are rated at distortion levels far below human audibility and both have completely flat measurable frequency response.  The slight difference in sound comes down to the implementation of the amplification itself.  I know a lot of people tend to categorize the O2 and ODAC as dead neutral because god himself the designer said so, but I'd categorize the combo is being ever so slightly bright-- keyword slightly.

Here's the problem with reading other people's impressions of amps and dacs though-- when you're dealing with differences so minute and subtle, one person writing a comparison for comparison's sake and dramatizing the differences as a result will be read differently by another individual who could then possibly be lead to believe that he'd hear rather large differences between the upstream components as a result.

So the question of which one sounds better or worse can get silly at times, because considering the asking price, personal tastes in sound presentation, and the marginal difference in sound quality in the first place, you're better off taking a step back and deciding which one to get over the other for more practical reasons.  'What headphones will I mostly be using for the amp/dac?'  'Do I put a high value on the aesthetic of the amp/dac?'  'Do I plan on using the amp/dac for transportable purposes?' etc.

When you ultimately find a headphone that you like and will probably not replace for years to come, then you might consider spending the big bucks on upstream components and start fine-tuning the sound of your headphone to your tastes as a result.  Both the O2/ODAC and Magni/Modi are entry level combos, and should be approached in such a manner.  Their marginal sound differences are the last thing you should consider between the two.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 20
  The measurements of the two wont play so much into your decision to buy either or.  Both are rated at distortion levels far below human audibility and both have completely flat measurable frequency response.  The slight difference in sound comes down to the implementation of the amplification itself.  I know a lot of people tend to categorize the O2 and ODAC as dead neutral because god himself the designer said so, but I'd categorize the combo is being ever so slightly bright-- keyword slightly.

Here's the problem with reading other people's impressions of amps and dacs though-- when you're dealing with differences so minute and subtle, one person writing a comparison for comparison's sake and dramatizing the differences as a result will be read differently by another individual who could then possibly be lead to believe that he'd hear rather large differences between the upstream components as a result.

So the question of which one sounds better or worse can get silly at times, because considering the asking price, personal tastes in sound presentation, and the marginal difference in sound quality in the first place, you're better off taking a step back and deciding which one to get over the other for more practical reasons.  'What headphones will I mostly be using for the amp/dac?'  'Do I put a high value on the aesthetic of the amp/dac?'  'Do I plan on using the amp/dac for transportable purposes?' etc.

When you ultimately find a headphone that you like and will probably not replace for years to come, then you might consider spending the big bucks on upstream components and start fine-tuning the sound of your headphone to your tastes as a result.  Both the O2/ODAC and Magni/Modi are entry level combos, and should be approached in such a manner.  Their marginal sound differences are the last thing you should consider between the two.

Well put good sir. I think when it comes down to both these combos..it really just comes down to price and aesthetics. At least for me anyway. I grabbed the O2/Odac combo from [Mod Edit: This maker is banned from Head-Fi for breaking the rules.] because I believe in supporting small businesses. If the Modi/Magni stack was out when I was looking for an amp, that would have been a highly appealing option too since it was slightly cheaper and definitely cleaner looking than the robust o2/odac. I find it sufficient to power my d2k, a900x, k550, HE-300 and dt770. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 20
  How is the sound if we mix ODAC/Magni and Modi/o2?

I read someone's impressions when they did a swap, but I did not really buy into the "difference" he heard because I felt his words were highly exaggerated. I'm not going through the thread again to find the link. TMraven pretty much sums up the stacks comparison, even if you did a swap. The difference is negligent, unless you have golden ears or something. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #14 of 20
In his review, TMraven states that If your main usage is IEMs or sensitive headphones like say-- AD700-- don't get the Magni and instead get the O2. So what is the value consider as sensitive?
/im newbie :D

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 20
If you get O2 and ODAC, were you thinking of getting them separately or the O2+ODAC combo (in one box)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back