Can adjusting the equalizer mimic the effect of a portable amp like fiio e10?
Feb 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mystaku

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers.

Recently I did some proper equalization in WinAmp and the resulting sound quality was significantly better! (via ATH M50 headphones).

I just wanted to know whether the $80 fiio e10 is worth it? Or will it give me an effect which is more or less the same as received by adjusting an equalizer? 

I still think the e10 should be much better. First, 'cuz I've heard a lot of people benefiting from the e10 and second, I'm using a pretty mediocre laptop onboard sound card (IDT HD).

Please share your opinions!

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think so, because I'm wondering what "effect of the E10" you are referring to.
The E10 is a DAC and an amp, and it has bass boost, IIRC.

The DAC and amp "effects" cannot be reproduced by EQ; one is decoding and the other is providing power, which is completely not something you do with EQ.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I don't think so, because I'm wondering what "effect of the E10" you are referring to.
The E10 is a DAC and an amp, and it has bass boost, IIRC.

The DAC and amp "effects" cannot be reproduced by EQ; one is decoding and the other is providing power, which is completely not something you do with EQ.

Thanks for the reply! By "effect" of E10, I meant the bass boost - I did benefit from adjusting the equalizer (in terms of bass) and I was just wondering whether the e10 will make it sound even better. And what other benefits will I get by using the e10 with the ATHM50?

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 5
In simple terms yes the E10 will make it sound better, louder, with a boost in sound quality. 100% better

On a technical side, you will by giving your headphones much more power to play with. Most on board sound cards aren't very good unfortunately, especially driving anything that requires power, they can do it but not with great results. Adjusting the EQ on WinAmp will help but cannot be compared to using something like the E10. If you liked the improvements using only the EQ in WinAmp, imagine the results you will receive using an E10 + EQ setting combined. O_O You will benefit in flying colours using the E10.

Also I use an music player called Songbird which also has a great EQ, I've found it gives much better results than WinAmp, offering overall boost in volume and SQ over other players. Maybe check it out, 

Edit: You could try something like this Creative USB Soundblaster external sound card.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREATIVE-SOUND-BLASTER-PLAY-EAX-USB-EXTERNAL-SOUND-CARD-/330670863447?pt=AU_Components&hash=item4cfd84f457

I've been using one with my laptops for several years, the increase in sound quality with that card is absolute night and day. I cannot use the normal headphone output jack any longer after using the above external card. Highly recommended. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 5
^ H20Fidelity is right, theoretically, and in simple terms (as he stated).

mystaku: If you want a specific answer about M50 + E10 vs M50 + laptop sound + EQ, I'm afraid you'll need to read up more. 
At the very least, do read up on what a DAC does, and what an amp does. They do not do what EQ settings do, so bear that in mind--bass boost is a bonus feature of the E10, and isn't what all DACs or amps do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back