Can a small amp power 2 bookshelf speakers?
Aug 28, 2011 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JasonZ10

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting some Paradigm Atoms or similar, but all I have right now is a random Sony 5.1 receiver. I'm also getting a FiiO E9/E7 soon also, so can either of these power 2 bookshelf speakers well?

Here's the receiver and what it came with.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Any regular receiver will work fine with regular bookshelf speakers. The Paradigms are great for this purpose. 

Edit: I gather the Sony isn't a regular receiver.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Alright, thanks, do you think I'll suffer from any quality loss with the receiver being pretty weak?

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Looking at that Sony amp it doesn't have normal/standard speaker post like most speaker amps that you can use with any speakers. I don't think it will work.
That Sony amp speaker posts looks like it only works with the speakers it comes with and possibly other types of mini 5 channel type speakers from looking at pics.
From what I see I really don't think you can use it for bookself speakers and if it can be used I'm pretty it will be really underpowered for bookself speakers.

And the Fiio is not a speaker amp but a headphone amp.

If you want to run some bookself speakers your going need to buy a different/new speaker amp.
There are some speaker amps that are also very good headphone amps so you might want to not buy the Fiio but get a good speaker amp and have it also be a headphone amp.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 9

I didnt realize that your receiver looks like the type that powers the speakers thru the subwoofer... those are pretty horrible I had a Panasonic receiver like that. you will need a new receiver, go with a cheap stereo receiver like this
 http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPQI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314647856&sr=8-3
or
get this
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3490-Radio-ready/dp/B00198F89A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314647896&sr=1-2
Quote:
Looking at that Sony amp it doesn't have normal/standard speaker post like most speaker amps that you can use with any speakers. I don't think it will work.
That Sony amp speaker posts looks like it only works with the speakers it comes with and possibly other types of mini 5 channel type speakers from looking at pics.
From what I see I really don't think you can use it for bookself speakers and if it can be used I'm pretty it will be really underpowered for bookself speakers.

And the Fiio is not a speaker amp but a headphone amp.

If you want to run some bookself speakers your going need to buy a different/new speaker amp.
There are some speaker amps that are also very good headphone amps so you might want to not buy the Fiio but get a good speaker amp and have it also be a headphone amp.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 9
My PC audio set up is a cute Tripath TA2020 amp powering some old school Polks 
tongue_smile.gif
It really depends on what you intend to do i.e if you have inefficient speakers and thinking lung busting loud in a medium/large room a beefy amp/avr is in order. I merely need a near field listening set up and with my 89dB Polks i must say the TA2020 drives them sweetly and louder than i ever need so hoped my input helped 
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 9
I don't think it does power through the sub, there's no power cord running from the sub, only the speaker wiring. Anyways, I was planning on getting that onkyo receiver but my brother got a really good deal on this Sony bundle, and they're honestly not that bad.

Thanks

Quote:
I didnt realize that your receiver looks like the type that powers the speakers thru the subwoofer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back