Can a quality CDP be obtained in the $300 price range?
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #31 of 50
I'm gonna have to be a punk-ass and recommend Playstation SCPH-1001. I run mine with Cardas Quadlink interconnects to Leben CS600 tube integrated. Harbeth Super HL5 for speakers & AKG701s for headphones. Is it $6000 CDP beater? I don't think so, as I've heard some players that are $3-4K that I'd rather take over the Playstation (only some). And it was good enough for me that I decided there was no longer a place for Cambridge Audio 840C in my system. That's pretty damn good for $25.

If you must go the more traditional route, I second the vote for the Marantz 5001 at your budget.

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or perhaps buy it, take it home, and return it if it doesn't work out? If the store is ok with that, it might be easier than lugging all your rig. Ahhh, never mind, hp amps aren't usually too big, and it's kinda fun to show them off!

Lug the Figaro with the Step up Transformer and PS Audio Punch Power cable, Lisa 3, Recabled MS-1's, and The HD 580's with the Clou balanced cable with a BJC adapter. Is that a bit much to test drive the CD player?

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #33 of 50
$300 and small footprint, eh? I'd suggest the Musical Fidelity X-Ray for the footprint, but their price used is still around $600....wth????

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #34 of 50
I have auditioned quite a few players in the recent months - all sub $300. I have heard many more expensive players, but in the $300 range, I don't think you can beat the following:

Oppo 980H w/ the following tweaks -

-Isolation Cone Feet ($30 at partsexpress.com)
-Dynamat square 3" x 3" on the center inside C-cover of the player (I guess you could cover the entire inside, that is more expensive - fraction of a $25 package.

This player is so much better than the money. I have given good reviews of this before, but it just seems to get better and better. When used with proper interconnects, it just opens up, softens up, etc.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #35 of 50
I just found the NAD C515BEE and C525BEE for around 300 bux also. Once I think I have the one, I find 2 more to check out. What is the word on these? The Marantz CD5001 is still my pony at the moment.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I just saw a couple of good NAD players go for around that price.

I can't say better!

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #37 of 50
I'm also considering a good CDP: choices that I'm looking at right now are Marantz CD 5001, NAD C521, C542 and a Rega Planet or maybe a cheap Sony like the SCD-CE595 and save up for something later. what do you guys inthink I should do in this case?

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #38 of 50
If you listen mostly to cd's, get a dedicated cd player like a used Arcam, new NAD, or Marantz. DO NOT GET AN OPPO. I have one, and it sounds really bad with cd's. Does not compare to an entry level, budget hi-fi cd player. Do yourself a favor and go for a used arcam on audiogon. Oppo is really cheap stuff.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #39 of 50
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, forgive me and tell me if I am, but I'm also looking for something in the $300 range. However, I'm more looking for a transport with AES digital out. Anyone know of anything?

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also considering a good CDP: choices that I'm looking at right now are Marantz CD 5001, NAD C521, C542 and a Rega Planet or maybe a cheap Sony like the SCD-CE595 and save up for something later. what do you guys inthink I should do in this case?

My CD5001 is very good. I use it through coax out to an Apogee mini-DAC to my Woo Audio WA6, but for the longest time I ran the Marantz RCA out right into my DarkVoice 336i and it was very good. Currently I have a HeadRoom Micro Amp connected to the RCA, running along-side the Apogee and Woo via coax, and it still blows me away that it should sound as good as it does.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My CD5001 is very good. I use it through coax out to an Apogee mini-DAC to my Woo Audio WA6, but for the longest time I ran the Marantz RCA out right into my DarkVoice 336i and it was very good. Currently I have a HeadRoom Micro Amp connected to the RCA, running along-side the Apogee and Woo via coax, and it still blows me away that it should sound as good as it does.

Curious.......what do you think of the CD5001's internal headamp?

If it's as good as the one in the SA8001, a used CD5001 for under $200 would be a great entry component for a newb that would scale well as one bought better cans and dedicated headamps.

Mar 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious.......what do you think of the CD5001's internal headamp?

If it's as good as the one in the SA8001, a used CD5001 for under $200 would be a great entry component for a newb that would scale well as one bought better cans and dedicated headamps.

The line out is better than built-in headphone amp, but it does an acceptable job. It's not as good as the 1/4" out from my Apogee mini-DAC, HR Micro, Darkvoice 336i or Woo WA6, but it competes well with most of my highly regarded sub-$200 portable headphone amps. The bass is a little thinner/colder from headphone out, but I haven't put more than 1 hour on that jack. The RCA out is definitely fuller and warmer.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #43 of 50
Doesn't Shanling make an inexpensive cd player in a mini size that supposed to have an awesome headphone output?

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #45 of 50
The model number is PCD3000A. However, Moon Audio lists it at 499.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back