Can a quality CDP be obtained in the $300 price range?
Mar 11, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #16 of 50
I've considered buying an NAD 542 used a few times, but I don't think my fiance would appreciate that purchase just a few months before we move (so instead I'm building a USB DAC - which is easier to do because she doesn't know how much it costs AND it's a hobby, so it's harder to disagree with).

Brad

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #19 of 50
My thinking is that you should either spend more on your CD player or get the Oppo and save up some dough for other stuff. Even if you don't end up using the oppo as your music source, it still wouldn't go to waste.

I've heard the CD5001, CD6002 and the Oppo. Unfortunately for you, in singapore the 5001 costs ~$200 and the 6002 costs ~$310. The 5001 was dryer and more in your face than the 6002. The 6002 was much warmer and enjoyable. However, I felt that the level of detail from both players were pretty much the same and didn't really justify the price difference. I still prefer my Oppo.

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by justthinking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone actually compare Oppo 980/981 to marantz 5001 or NAD players?
I guess since I have a DAC, Oppo will be a good choice for me since I won't need the cd player to do the DA...

I had the C541 and the 980H at the same time. I got rid of the NAD. It was a nice player - I considered it sterile. The 980H is as warm as any cd player I have heard. I really like it.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #22 of 50
I assume these mean digital audio converter or digital audio, but I'M not sure. Are these alternatives to having a CD player? Sorry for being so ignorant, but I am.

Several have mentioned the Oppo. I note it also plays DVD's. Is there any downside in getting player that plays both CD and DVD, or is a dedicated CD player better?

And, thanks to all for you helpful input.

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the Marantz CD 5001 at a local store a few minutes from the house for 300 bones. I will just have to bring a couple amps and some phones to go test drive it. Fun fun fun

Or perhaps buy it, take it home, and return it if it doesn't work out? If the store is ok with that, it might be easier than lugging all your rig. Ahhh, never mind, hp amps aren't usually too big, and it's kinda fun to show them off!

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume these mean digital audio converter or digital audio, but I'M not sure. Are these alternatives to having a CD player?

DAC is indeed as you mention, but I think "DA" is normally written as "D/A" which means the general digital-to-analog conversion process.

The biggest problem is that to an EE, "DAC" often means the individual chip that does the D/A in a consumer audio component such as a CD player, DVD player, home theater receiver, et al. But here on Head-Fi and in the general consumer audio realm, it almost always means a standalone device that takes a digital audio input via coax or optical cable from a "transport" that simply reads the CD data and sends it on via the "S/PDIF" interface standard.

If we're talking about computer-based audio, then the configuration can be different--some DAC's that might be more accurately referred to as "interfaces" receive the input digital signal from a software player via regular USB or FireWire ports, do the D/A, and send out an analog signal. (Some of the interfaces oriented more toward the pro market rely on proprietary cards to send the digital audio stream to the external interface; these were the standard before USB and FW were "standard issue" and had the bandwidth to allow them to be used for that purpose.)

Thus, a DAC (meaning, the consumer audio component) by itself is not a complete alternative to a CD player--it's the "second half" of the process in transforming the data from a CD to an analog signal.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #25 of 50
For well under 3 bills new,the Teac PD-H300mkIII CD Player is quite nice.

Still I'd rather have a used NAD as they are pretty bullt proof,and offer excellent sound reproduction for the cash range your in.

The NAD C715 is a wonderful all in one system for the cash (under 5 bills) I have a brother in law that bought one recently,quite impressive for the
money.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #26 of 50
Marantz CD17 is a great player for around that price. I don't know the going rates on American sites, but here in the Netherlands 275-350 seems to be usual going rate.

You'd be lucky to find a KI version or even Mk2 version for that price, but you can always try.

I replaced my CD5000 with a CD17MK2 recently, and the difference was immense.

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #28 of 50
i just picked up a pioneer elite pd-f109 for 150
smily_headphones1.gif

eric b

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just getting into higher end audio, graduating from Ipod to single component units. Is it possible to get a single-disc CD player in the $300 price range? If possible, I'd like one with the smallest footprint possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

This Shanling PCD300A should be the right size and price

Shanling PCD300A CD Player with Headphone Amplifier - eBay (item 270202185485 end time Apr-08-08 07:32:26 PDT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back