can a portable amp replace gilmore lite?
Feb 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They said that the Gilmore Lite sounded metallic (if so, blah) and that the Micro Amp sounded better...

GLite is a very transparent amp, if your source sounds metallic then you will hear all this passed through GLite. MicroAmp might mask some of this with some coloration, warmer signature at the expense of clarity and details.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build a shelf or buy a bookcase for extra room.

Simple, funny and true advice.

Quote:

Full-size headphones need a desktop amp. IEMs only need a DAP. I'm not sure where portable amps fit in, but man, do they sell.

I know we're talking about the HD650 and K701 here, but I've chosen Pico for office use with PK1 (which need amping). And I got snickers and funny looks when I brought in my HeadFive and DT-990 to new office. Dullards...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

They said that the Gilmore Lite sounded metallic (if so, blah) and that the Micro Amp sounded better...

Um... Care to elaborate on this very random, unsubstantiated and uncredited statement?

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

I'm not sure where portable amps fit in, but man, do they sell. I think they're popular because they cost less and are slightly better than an iPod for big cans.

slightly ??? . Sorry but I found that funny because just the other night I was enjoying my HD 650 from Pico using my iPod as source using line out. I always get a kick out of comparing the iPod headphone out to a good portable amp because there's such a big difference.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 30
The LISA-III it could power the both mentioned heapdhones with easy, and has a sound of a lot more expensive destop amp...a DAC is on the works....

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #20 of 30
Here's what I think is a parallel example. I had heard a lot about the Sonic T-Amp. At $30 I thought I'd give it a try powering Reference 3A Dulcet speakers, mini-monitors rated to 87dB. I had a 9V, 300mA wall wart from Radio Shack around the house, plugged it in and hey it worked! Not much depth to the sound, though, so another RS trip brought home a 12V, 1500mA wall wart. Wow, this sounded better. Bass notes were at least showing up, and cranking the volume could produce plenty of sound. Maybe this could really work.

Then I plugged in an old integrated amp, a Classe CAP-100. 100 watts per channel hardly sets records, but the improvement was huge within the first five notes. Where the T-amp seemed to project sound through a narrow aperture (hold your hands up like you're showing that the football's two inches short of a first down), the Classe had a big, round sound (hold your hands like you're picking up a giant hamburger). It isn't about volume. It really is about power. The Pico sounds so cool, but I just can't spring for it. If the Pico's DAC made it into a GS Lite, I'd be amping up the credit card.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #21 of 30
Y'all had me curious so I tried Pico (from AAC lossless(PC)), MicroStack (from cheapo DVD transport optical out), and then MicroDAC (same cheapo transport) into G-Lite with whatever I was listening to at the time (Miranda Lambert, Kerosene), through Denon D2000s (25ohm).

Pico: Sweet, sweet midrange and treble, something seriously odd with bass, "powder puff" bass, all there if you listen carefully but no grunt.

Microstack: Sharper edges, slightly less detail, rumbly bass and unremarkable midrange/voice, something wrong again in the bass department and in dynamics across the range.

MicroDAC-G-Lite: Clean, clear, transparent. Tight, balanced and deep bass. If this could be grafted onto the Pico silky highs and mids that would be something. Slight hardness to the highs and leading edges but not offensive.

I'm a little surprised that the D2000 is so sensitive to these changes, especially in the bass control arena. Not even close to subtle.

Senn HD6xx are not as picky, especially with the MicroStack. D2000 sounds strange with the MicroAmp. This is a 2005 MicorAmp and I heard the output buffer was improved in 2006 (for low impedance cans) so that may be it. Conclusions still stand. G-Lite wins this round.

Thanks

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MicroDAC-G-Lite: Clean, clear, transparent. Tight, balanced and deep bass. If this could be grafted onto the Pico silky highs and mids that would be something. Slight hardness to the highs and leading edges but not offensive.

Try Pico into GLite, you might get what you wish for.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #23 of 30
Are you really sure it's the higher voltage supply and current capability that make Gilmore sing compared to the portable amps you've heard? Not fewer or higher quality components in the signal pathway, class A operation or lower negative feedback?

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Some find that opamps sing too. Even better.

Speaking specifically of the Gilmore Lite, it having been called "cold" and "metallic" does spoil it of any appeal for me. I would much prefer to go with a Shanling PH100 which is still discrete and looks like a more musical thing.

Can you please stay on the topic. What is the point of your posts in the context of this thread? Plus my understanding that you haven't heard either amp to judge or comment.
Thank you very much.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #25 of 30
x2. Make a contribution -- preferably substantiated or from first-person experience -- or please keep your comments to yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please stay on the topic. What is the point of your posts in the context of this thread? Plus my understanding that you haven't heard either amp to judge or comment.
Thank you very much.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #26 of 30
i recall the Pico sounding quite different compared to the Gilmore Lite + DPS. The Gilmore Lite had the signature wire with gain sound while the Pico was completely different (obviously not using the same or even similar sounding opamp).

Compared to the desktop amps, the Pico is warm, full, and definitely has a distinct flavor to it.

Switching to something else will definitely show you how neutral and transparent the Glite was. Looking back, mine was a bit flavorless, but i liked the texture.

It could be a upgrade or even a downgrade depending on the individual's ears.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #28 of 30
i am now curious about another thing.
pretty much everyone is agreeing on the fact that pico's amp is not better than those mid-end desk amps(ex. gilmore lite).

how about the dac part? people are praising the quality of pico's dac so much, and it makes me wonder if pico's dac is better/worse than those mid-end dac's that cost $200-$500(number pulled out of my butt).

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Pico into GLite, you might get what you wish for.
wink.gif

Yeah, I had this thought too. As soon as I get back from business travel I will try this immediately, and do a more thorough comparo with a variety of cans. Significantly, I have not yet tried IEMs with the Pico.

Or I might just end up enjoying music after a half hearted effort, because all of the cans and amps and DACs and stand alone sources in my kit sound good to me.

And that is the fun of this hobby, like culinary arts for the ears. The technical arguments are interesting and sometimes informative. But even as a hard-core technical guy, the joy is in the listening and I am amazed at the cornucopia of products of all types and flavors we have to choose from. Golden age of headphone audio IMO.

Hats off to the companies of all sizes who compete brilliantly to bring all this to us. And not only tolerate our opinions but listen to us to improve and develop products. Big companies like my employer have spent $billions on consultants and initiatives to try to get to where HeadAmp, RSA, Headroom, etc. are in terms of customer intimacy, speed to market, quality, product performance, brand recognition and service in their markets.

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am now curious about another thing.
pretty much everyone is agreeing on the fact that pico's amp is not better than those mid-end desk amps(ex. gilmore lite).

how about the dac part? people are praising the quality of pico's dac so much, and it makes me wonder if pico's dac is better/worse than those mid-end dac's that cost $200-$500(number pulled out of my butt).

Pico's DAC IME is at least as good as $300 MicroDAC in USB mode. Others will have more experience with higher end DACs and there are some pretty experienced members who hold the Pico DAC in high regard. When I say "good" I mean sounds "good" to me, nothing about features, size, etc.

As for the amp section my initial impression is G-Lite is better to my ears with the D2000, but that does not mean the same is true for other cans and especially IEMs. More listening is necessary. Given the subjective nature of these types of evaluations, the only thing I can conclude IMO is that the Pico's amp sounds different from the G-Lite with my full size cans. And I have no idea which one is more "accurate" or "neutral".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back