Can a portabl amp really push cans?
Dec 28, 2008 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
As my research goes on roommate wants a portable setup with full size cans. Will a zune and a portable amp like the pico or mustang be able to push something like the senn hd650, AKG k601,Audio Technica ATH-W5000, or any other great headphone?

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 130
The Mustang will put the giddy up in your listening experience!
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes...it can drive them cans!

RIDE

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 130
If those are the k601 how do they sound?

Never mind they are the k702. Well how do they sound? Are they analytic? Do they have enough bass. My roommate currently has senn hd555 and loves them, but would love for him to get better sound without really loosing bass.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If those are the k601 how do they sound?

No, they are the AKG K702s. They are open backed headphones, but the sound with the Mustang is incredible. It is the first amp I've heard that can make the K702's bass really shine. The highs and mids are prominent as well; the highs were a little shrill at first but after only six hours of burn-in (of the Mustang) they have already started to settle down. I used to have the HD555 and I think the Mustang would sound great with them. Unfortunately, I don't have them anymore.

-HK sends

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 130
I would say they are capable of driving big cans to "listenable" and "acceptable" level, both in volume and SQ. But don't hope too much, they're still for portable. At the same price tag, the home amp always beats the portable one.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As my research goes on roommate wants a portable setup with full size cans. Will a zune and a portable amp like the pico or mustang be able to push something like the senn hd650, AKG k601,Audio Technica ATH-W5000, or any other great headphone?

The Pico has a 2-cell battery. First prototype had a 1-cell but it would clip with K701 at high volume or very dynamic music.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 28, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 130
I will find out how the pico sounds with his 555, but I don't think I will like his phones. Took off my ue-11 and the sound on the 555 are nothing close., expected. I am looking forward to my pico and ue-11 combo. He can keep his full cans.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 130
If it's not connected to a wall socket, it's not worth buying.

*dons flame-proof asbestos bodysuit*

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not connected to a wall socket, it's not worth buying.

*dons flame-proof asbestos bodysuit*

generalize much?? Good way to go through life. (you know asbestos is a carcinogen right? Go Nomex next time)

To the OP, from what I have read the Mustang will drive full size cans.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 130
I am one of those heathens that believes cables make no difference and portable amps are pointless so feel free to ignore me.
biggrin.gif

I've not used a lot of portable amps, but I doubt it unless it's running on enough batteries to provide the voltage swing necessary for such hard-to-drive headphones. Maybe you could consider a PPA with battery board to be something like this, though it's not real portable.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #14 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am one of those heathens that believes cables make no difference and portable amps are pointless so feel free to ignore me.
biggrin.gif

I've not used a lot of portable amps, but I doubt it unless it's running on enough batteries to provide the voltage swing necessary for such hard-to-drive headphones. Maybe you could consider a PPA with battery board to be something like this, though it's not real portable.

I do not believe in high priced cable crap either but I will get back to you once I get my Mustang and own some HD600s again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back