Can a Mac automatically power-off?
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mail4u

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Mac Mini and I want to be able to set it up so that it will power-off (shutdown) automatically after playing music.  Right now I have Snow Leopard and it does not have a scheduled power shutdown option that I can see.  It will only put the computer into sleep mode.  I would like a complete shutdown.  Can it be done?  I'm sure there's a way as my PC can do it?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 9
First thing I thought of would be to use the shutdown command in terminal.  You can tell it to shutdown at a certain time.  Otherwise the next thing which would probably work a lot better is to write an applescript that waits until iTunes is no longer playing music and then shutdown.  That would take a lot more work.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 9
That's what I get for over thinking the problem 
tongue_smile.gif
.  Makes sense apple implemented a graphical version of the shutdown command.  Though the applescript would still be functionally better if you spent the time to write it.  Probably not worth it though.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Why not put the machine to sleep, it is what the people at Apple technical support recommended if I plan on using it everyday. If I am to be away for over three days then they suggested I shut it down.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Why not put the machine to sleep, it is what the people at Apple technical support recommended if I plan on using it everyday. If I am to be away for over three days then they suggested I shut it down.

Second what he say.
Why do you want to shut down the Mac mini, when it is much more usable to just put it to sleep? Plus you save time the next time you want to use it again....

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 9
 I'm going to be away from home for a month and other people in the house might use my computer. They have a tendency after using to walk away leaving everything powered on. That was my concern. I wasn't aware of Apple's advice. It's good to know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back