Can A Graph show IEM Soundstage: maybe so!
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 36
I want to do MEST v1 as well since I have heard it. I find its staging 2D but with some extra layering which is a bit special.. kind of intimate and also expansive at the same time. It's kind of an oddball. Pinna 65, notch (what notch?) maaaybe 57 = 8.. Hard to say for this one but it certainly doesn't have the EJ style 3D holographic depth.

Inkedgraph (58)_LI.jpg
I agree, Mest lacked a bit of depth for me as well.

Oct 16, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #17 of 36
Tanya is extremely 3D and much more than something like the V14 for damn sure. Note though, Im ONLY talking about 3D depth.. not staging in general.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #22 of 36
OK so FD7: Pinna 65ish, notch 47 = 18.. which is great!

Inkedgraph (59)_LI.jpg

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #28 of 36
Interesting! Very interesting
My sister lost mine and unfortunately it's discontinued now but during the time I used EP10 it was amazing for gaming. I can say it's even better than open back full size headphones.

It's been a long time but I still can't forget about it so that's why I checked it's graph after reading your topic.

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #29 of 36
So this basically says that if the difference between the average of:

A. upper midrange + lower treble
and
B. mid treble + upper treble

is big enough, we perceive the effect as a deeper soundstage, am I correct?

Generalizing this it would mean that more upfront sounding IEMs are okay with less highs and still have a great sense of depth, while IEMs that are not upfront sounding at all are better off having an extreme treble roll-off to have a great sense of depth. Is that what we should make from this experiment?

It doesn't sound illogical to me (which doesn't mean I necessarily agree with the early findings) as a relative overdose of high tones will always attract more attention and outdo the less pronounced mids thay make up for voices and for instance many acoustic instruments. I would want to add that the amount of echo/reverb adds to the sense of depth as well, and with this more coherent IEMs should theoretically have an advantage over others (maybe BA setups or multi-driver setups, possibly because of crossovers).

drftr

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 36
I think thats pretty correct, except something about an actual notch centered at 10k simulates normal hearing since there is a phase cancellation in the outer ear parts.

What is interesting to me is, would it be possible to have a good amount of treble with said notch. Maybe a really tight Q factor notch right at 10k and then back up to 'normal' neutral treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back