Can a fuse alter sound qaulity of an amp?
Jan 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #31 of 114
BTW, insulation is to insulate the wire from electrical interference and has no effect on sound quality, so long as the wire is properly insulated to begin with. Did you read the article I posted? Read the article and then post your reasoning for why you think the article is wrong.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #32 of 114
Excellent and entertaining article
biggrin.gif

If you get power from water generators, you'll get a sparkling sound! From a nuclear power plant, you'll get a radiant sound! From oil a fatter sound and from coal it's all misty and veiled!

There should be more blind AB-tests in HiFi magazines. It should be mandatory. We should have the right to demand it and not get conned by false preachers.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #33 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal
If you get power from water generators, you'll get a sparkling sound! From a nuclear power plant, you'll get a radiant sound! From oil a fatter sound and from coal it's all misty and veiled!

Don't forget, the biofuel plants - some of these take slurry
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #35 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saying you heard a difference is not proof of anything. Could be pure placebo effect at work. At least the article I posted provides data to back their claims. You provide none. May I ask how old you are? I ask for this reason. However, as we age, our sensitivity to high frequencies decreases dramatically. The chart is from Modern Sound Reproduction by Harry F. Olson. It shows the average hearing loss Vs age for men and women at frequencies from 250 Hz to 8000 Hz. This means that for a man at age 35, sensitivity is down about 11 dB at 8000 Hz. For a woman at that age, sensitivity is down only about 5 dB. We can infer that sensitivity is down a whole lot more at 20kHz.

I heard those all and i read them all. For me, only my ears are proof and i did blind tests in my system and i hear clearly differences between cores (silver, silver plated copper and copper) and insulation (air, teflon, cotton etc.)!

I am aware that there IS a difference between cables. if it is still there then it is NOT placebo, going forth and back and one cable distinctly sounding better then another. proof enough for me. I spend enough hours reading theory. Now i use my ears.

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard those all and i read them all. For me, only my ears are proof and i did blind tests in my system and i hear clearly differences between cores (silver, silver plated copper and copper) and insulation (air, Teflon, cotton etc.)!

I am aware that there IS a difference between cables. if it is still there then it is NOT placebo, going forth and back and one cable distinctly sounding better then another. proof enough for me. I spend enough hours reading theory. Now i use my ears.

I suggest you to use less your ears and read more and more theory, the more you use your ears, the more you will be convinced the deceiving they are...you can fool your ears with .5db or even less in difference in just the volume for example, the instruments do not lie, the ears do all the time...

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #37 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you beleive that a power cord will change the sound of any audio equipment, then you have to believe than a fuse must do is as well, as you are restricting all the power flowing in/out, by the fuse, usually a really small gauge of wire, not even of a good purity or conductor to begin with, that will blow with any excess of current circulating throught it...

Sorry but I do not believe either one...
redface.gif

Thank you for stating this.

I have been dabbling with Hi-Fi for at least 8-10 yrs (built my first Choy amp in 2000), and I have been reading here in the forums for the last month or so getting re-acquainted with this fun hobby (I just got all parts to assemble my own MINI^3 amp). As somebody with a BSEE and MSEE and 18 yr of experience, I am having a hard time, VERY hard time believing that power cords and/or fuses would have differences you can "hear", specially when the Internet has so many blind tests that show that not even the so called experts can tell differences (results are almost always centered right at 50% - proving it is just chance that you will guess correctly).

Like you, I am trying to keep an open mind, and I am ready willing to be proven wrong, but I don't "yet" believe either one either
biggrin.gif

Will

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #38 of 114
Sov,
Theory doesn't mean much in the audio world. There are so many things about cables and wiring that is not understood. It's the ghost in the machine. Have you ever noticed that electronic components such as computers behave more normally and crash less when you a) don't get frustrated, and b) give them a good supply of power (better power cords, power conditioners, etc.) There are so many things about the transistor that we do not know. There are so many things about this WORLD that we do not know. Anyway, I don't want to run off on some spiritual tangent. But I will say that a steady and clean supply of power, whether it be through the power cord, fuse, or interconnect, will make your equipment function as it should and completely unrestricted. Your AC power should be coming through in a perfect sine wave and not adding harmonics to the line. And if you live in an apartment like me, you especially want a power conditioner (which is the next thing I will get) since everyone elses electronic component noise goes back into the same lines you share with them.

I'm a skeptic like you, and until I tried some I wouldn't have believed it either. You want to make the biggest improvement to your headphone system? Get a good power cord.

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #39 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want to make the biggest improvement to your headphone system? Get a good power cord.

Would you recommend ripping out my drywall and upgrading my house wiring too, because surely 150ft of wire has a bigger effect than 18 inches ?
What about my breakers, they were just picked up on special at Home Depot, should I have them silver plated ?

Invest your money where it counts:

Power regulation
Digital to Analog Conversion
Voltage Gain
Buffering
Drivers

If you have a lot of $s left after that buy a huge battery and a medical grade inverter to power the equipment. Then buy your power cord and special fuse.

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #40 of 114
Quote:

Sov,
Theory doesn't mean much in the audio world. There are so many things about cables and wiring that is not understood. It's the ghost in the machine. Have you ever noticed that electronic components such as computers behave more normally and crash less when you a) don't get frustrated, and b) give them a good supply of power (better power cords, power conditioners, etc.) There are so many things about the transistor that we do not know. There are so many things about this WORLD that we do not know. Anyway, I don't want to run off on some spiritual tangent. But I will say that a steady and clean supply of power, whether it be through the power cord, fuse, or interconnect, will make your equipment function as it should and completely unrestricted. Your AC power should be coming through in a perfect sine wave and not adding harmonics to the line. And if you live in an apartment like me, you especially want a power conditioner (which is the next thing I will get) since everyone elses electronic component noise goes back into the same lines you share with them.

I'm a skeptic like you, and until I tried some I wouldn't have believed it either. You want to make the biggest improvement to your headphone system? Get a good power cord.

My Power-1 is on the way, I will try it with open mind, but I do not expect a miracle, to be honest my power cords are not that bad to begin with, also for what I paid for it, if it does not do it for me, I will not be really complaining...LOL...

Let em tell you something, do not treat audio same way as voodoo, or some kind of obscure science or faith, electronics is an exact science, based in physics and math, and a little of the rest as well, and we do know indeed what we need in most of the cases to go and measure, and expect, and conclude, a lot of things that many people refuse to beleive...indeed I have not seen yet any well written theory about cables that will make me even hesitate in my beleives, all what most of the times we read in those hi-end companies that produce cables, is the same mumbo jumbo blah blah and period, I have not read anything really solid, to based any of the so heard improvements people claim, all the opposite, the more I read, the less close to reality to me they seem to be...

But as I said, trying is beleiving, and I ahve been proved wrong soemtimes...it will not be the first, nor the last...

BTW the biggest improvemnt I have heard was while I got the Editions, hands down!!!! I ahve ot heard a cable yet that will give you such an improvement

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #41 of 114
Sov,
I'm not comparing it to voodoo or faith. But there are questions surrounding the transmission of electrons and the corruption of waveforms. An oscilloscope can analyze the signal from left and right channels, but can it hear in stereo? Does it perceive HRTF? Can it feel what it's like to be at a live performance? I think eventually we will be able to test the audible differences between cables, it might take awhile before someone invents a proper system though.

I was on the same side of the fence as you, so I know how you feel. But be prepared for a shocker when you get the power cord. They have 5 times the impact of good interconnects.

Do you live in an apartment or a house? If you live in a house, your power is already tons better than an apartment building.

A had an audio revelation last night. I was listening to my headphones at around 8 or 9 o'clock and they just didnt sound as magical as it did the night before.... I stayed up late and wound up listening again from 3 - 4 a.m. WOW! More magic was there than ever.... Why could this be?? Well, I soon realized that at 8 pm everyone in my apartment building is home and using their electronics. We all share the same power so all their components' noise goes back into the lines (via return and ground). But at 3 in the morning no one is up so I have clean power all to myself. The music was pure bliss and for the first time ever I could shut my eyes and actually SEE the musicians and the instruments. I didn't have to struggle to focus on anything. The panorama was all laid out in front of me and I was effortlessly able to see where every member of the band and instrument were located... no crossfeed, no resampling, no dsp filters, just a clean bitperfect signal with clean power.

So yes, I think you'll be quite surprised when you try your power cable. It's not a subtle difference at all, it's very distinct. I strongly suggest putting it on your amp rather than your source if you have only 1 good cord, but you can play around with it. You will hear less distortion, blacker backgrounds, much more dimensionality and accurate imaging, better tone, and an overall improvement in dynamics across the entire frequency range. I would hope the Power 1 would be as good as my Cobalt Ultimate Power (which cost $120 but has been compared to $600 cords).

Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #42 of 114
Quote:

Sov,
I'm not comparing it to voodoo or faith. But there are questions surrounding the transmission of electrons and the corruption of waveforms. An oscilloscope can analyze the signal from left and right channels, but can it hear in stereo? Does it perceive HRTF? Can it feel what it's like to be at a live performance? I think eventually we will be able to test the audible differences between cables, it might take awhile before someone invents a proper system though.

I was on the same side of the fence as you, so I know how you feel. But be prepared for a shocker when you get the power cord. They have 5 times the impact of good interconnects.

Do you live in an apartment or a house? If you live in a house, your power is already tons better than an apartment building.

A had an audio revelation last night. I was listening to my headphones at around 8 or 9 o'clock and they just didnt sound as magical as it did the night before.... I stayed up late and wound up listening again from 3 - 4 a.m. WOW! More magic was there than ever.... Why could this be?? Well, I soon realized that at 8 pm everyone in my apartment building is home and using their electronics. We all share the same power so all their components' noise goes back into the lines (via return and ground). But at 3 in the morning no one is up so I have clean power all to myself. The music was pure bliss and for the first time ever I could shut my eyes and actually SEE the musicians and the instruments. I didn't have to struggle to focus on anything. The panorama was all laid out in front of me and I was effortlessly able to see where every member of the band and instrument were located... no crossfeed, no resampling, no dsp filters, just a clean bitperfect signal with clean power.

So yes, I think you'll be quite surprised when you try your power cable. It's not a subtle difference at all, it's very distinct. I strongly suggest putting it on your amp rather than your source if you have only 1 good cord, but you can play around with it. You will hear less distortion, blacker backgrounds, much more dimensionality and accurate imaging, better tone, and an overall improvement in dynamics across the entire frequency range. I would hope the Power 1 would be as good as my Cobalt Ultimate Power (which cost $120 but has been compared to $600 cords).

Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Will all due respect I do not think that this little molecular intercations, if any, at the electrons level, could be heard neither, also not sure what relation has the HRTF or stereo signal with a power cord....Power cord only serves to take the power from point A to point B, period...POWER...not audio signal....after the point B the AC is stepped down, flatten into DC, rectified and filtered, and later on, regulated, before feeding any amplification section, do you really bleive that after all those process you will be able to hear this tiny electornic interactions you are talking about, and do not take wrong, IC are different topic, they are on the signal path, the power cord is not...

Anyway, time will tell, one thing is sure, I iwll not lie to you guys, if I hear a difference, you will be the first in see me converting to a believer...if not probably you will never heard about this isssue again, I do not used to discuss of what I'm 100% convinced, but in this case I'm not and will try the power cord....let's see, or better let's hear...

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #43 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will all due respect I do not think that this little molecular intercations, if any, at the electrons level, could be heard neither, also not sure what relation has the HRTF or stereo signal with a power cord....Power cord only serves to take the power from point A to point B, period...POWER...not audio signal....after the point B the AC is stepped down, flatten into DC, rectified and filtered, and later on, regulated, before feeding any amplification section, do you really bleive that after all those process you will be able to hear this tiny electornic interactions you are talking about, and do not take wrong, IC are different topic, they are on the signal path, the power cord is not...

Anyway, time will tell, one thing is sure, I iwll not lie to you guys, if I hear a difference, you will be the first in see me converting to a believer...if not probably you will never heard about this isssue again, I do not used to discuss of what I'm 100% convinced, but in this case I'm not and will try the power cord....let's see, or better let's hear...

biggrin.gif
I'm just smiling and laughing over here because you are in for a surprise. Most of us who have bought aftermarket power cords thought exactly the same thing before we decided to get one. And once you do, you will know why people pay big bucks for some of them.

I am excited about auditioning the Master LE 2.0 $4,150 power cord from VD, but it's a bad idea since I can't afford one if I like it.

You should read Markl's review on power cords. Even if you don't read the whole thing, the intro is informative. I'm sure you've read it though.

Jan 4, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #44 of 114
Quote:

biggrin.gif
I'm just smiling and laughing over here because you are in for a surprise. Most of us who have bought aftermarket power cords thought exactly the same thing before we decided to get one. And once you do, you will know why people pay big bucks for some of them.

I am excited about auditioning the Master LE 2.0 $4,150 power cord from VD, but it's a bad idea since I can't afford one if I like it.

You should read Markl's review on power cords. Even if you don't read the whole thing, the intro is informative. I'm sure you've read it though.

I have read that review of course and I'm using one of the cords he reviewed there, the ironlung jelly fish or whatever they call it, AKA Quail hospital grade...I read that review and that is one of the few things markl and I will never agree...

FYI, I was involved two times, is two group buys we have here of power cords from Quail, and we custom order them...but at $15.00 a piece that was a bargain...

I can't complain on the deal I got from the VD one neither....I'm anxious now!!!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #45 of 114
"All this controversy about cables tends to lead people down the wrong path," he continued. "People talk about how cables sound. Well, obviously, cables shouldn't have a 'sound.' There shouldn't be anything you can pin down as to what a cable is doing to a system. If it's doing anything, it's doing something that shouldn't be there." Chris Russell, Bryston's Vice President of Engineering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back