Can a DAP exceed it's max rated power output?
Nov 25, 2015 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mancpg

Head-Fier
Hi,

This is something that goes beyond my knowledge of electronics and I hope someone might be able to shed some light on it.

If a DAP states, for instance, that it's max output is 2V RMS, would it be possible for the output to exceed the 2V if the track that's being played was recorded with really, really high levels?

Or would 2V be the boundary and would the signal clip?

In other words, would your headphones, if they were 32 ohms, ever see more than 2*2/32 or 125mW worth of power from this amp?

Thanks a lot!

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 5
  Hi,

This is something that goes beyond my knowledge of electronics and I hope someone might be able to shed some light on it.

If a DAP states, for instance, that it's max output is 2V RMS, would it be possible for the output to exceed the 2V if the track that's being played was recorded with really, really high levels?

Or would 2V be the boundary and would the signal clip?

In other words, would your headphones, if they were 32 ohms, ever see more than 2*2/32 or 125mW worth of power from this amp?

Thanks a lot!

Only if the listed max output power is wrong
tongue.gif

Actually you are talking about max voltage output when you said 2Vrms - that is usually a hardware limit and therefore it won't change regardless of how the recording is made. When we are talking about max power output. we are not only talking about its max voltage but also its max current output, plus on the condition of maximum 1% distortion. So if the DAP, on the condition of 1% distortion and with a specific load, but not reaching its maximum hardware voltage yet (say the 2Vrms DAP is outputting 1.15Vrms with a 32ohm load when it reaches 1% distortion) - then continue to push the volume higher will give you more power, but also more distortion. Therefore you can excess the max power output of the device, but on the condition that you also increase the distortion.

Sometime you will see companies listing 10% distortion power output and that's really is somewhat cheating as the actual max power output at 1% will look much worst.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Got it, that's a great explanation! Yes, the reported 2Vrms is at 1% distortion.

What does 1% distortion sound like? would you know it if you hear it?

Thanks again!

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 5
Got it, that's a great explanation! Yes, the reported 2Vrms is at 1% distortion.

What does 1% distortion sound like? would you know it if you hear it?

Thanks again!

No one has a real standard about this but 1% distortion is used mainly because it is believed to be the minimum number where it becomes audible to most human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back