Can a computer monitor affect the sound of an amplifier?
Jan 20, 2003 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Trounce

500+ Head-Fier
My speaker amplifier is right next to my monitor because I like having quick access to my amp controls since it is connected to my computer.

I was reading a review of the Sennheiser 600s I believe and the reviewer said that he put his amp next to his monitor and the sound was all wrong. When he moved them away, he said the sound was so much better. My monitor has recently started shaking and lines have appeared on it so I suspect the amp, or maybe the close proximity of the speakers are the cause. Could this be?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Since my monitor causes noise with my son's electric guitar I would say yes, the monitor can affect electronics, and the contrary is probably also the case.

Jan 20, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 6
I agree. I used to have my sub from my Klipsch 5.1 computer speakers about 9 inchs away from my 21 inch moniter. Every time a deep low sound was reproduced from the sub, the screen would distort. I think it is because items like subs and amps are not magnetically shielded and effect other things near it. I have a speaker amp that is about 10 feet away that is in its own shieled cabinet. Try doing something like this.

-xec

edit: typos are the devil.

Jan 30, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I dont know if the monitor affects anything, but if my cell phone rings next to my monitor... its like I degaussed it! Same thing in the car, it makes my stereo buzz really loudly (when close to the front channel amplifier).

Jan 31, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Monitors only affect stuff that is quite close. If you've ever tried to run dual monitors that aren't idential models side by side, you will most likely see interference. However, moving them a few inches apart is usually enough to get rid of the inteference. Subs, on the other hand, cause interference from significantly further away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back