Can a blown piece of gear damage other components it was connected to?
Sep 12, 2020 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sean_MR

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm not going to list specific components here as I respect each company and am sure it was a fluke, but I'm kinda freaking out right now. My DAC just started emitting a very strong smoking/burning smell and was also making weird crinkling/sparkling noises. I had it connected to my computer via USB, and to my amplifier via XLR's. When I turned it off and unplugged everything, even the XLR cables smelled burnt as well.

I'm no engineer, so this (I'm hoping) might be a really stupid question. But is it at all possible that my DAC could have "sent" a harmful current and damaged my amplifier? Since both pieces of gear were connected the entire time, I'm worried if the DAC could have "transferred" a damaging current or voltage through the XLR cables, especially since the XLR's smelled burnt too.

Anyone have any knowledge on this? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 16
I’ve heard of amps damaging headphones, but not of DACs damaging amps. As I’m not an engineer I can’t say for sure of it being possible, but your only solution is to disconnect the dac entirely and try the amp from another source with a new cable. Does the amp power on? If so you’re probably ok as one of the first things to go would be the fuse.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 16
The inputs of most amps are quite complicated as to avoid this kind of damage. especially if the amp was off (but even if it was on). Given this information, if your other components are working fine, then they most likely are fine.

Most likely the problems with your DAC would have come from a short in a solder joint and what you smell on the XLR's is just the smell from the DAC that has transferred to them given they were connected. Most DAC's wouldn't be able to put out enough current or voltage to do anything too harmful.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #5 of 16
More or less parroting what's already been said, possible but unlikely.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 16
Thank you all for the replies. The amplifier does turn on, but I can’t technically see if it still works on its own as I (think?) have no other sources I can use. I usually go USB from my computer —> DAC —> amp —> headphones. So unless I’m missing something, I don’t think I can test the amp other than just seeing if it turns on.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 16
While I’m sure things can go wrong I have not had that problem you have but things can go wrong.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 16
Does the amp have RCA ins? You could use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter to run it, then.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 16
Yes it does, but what would I connect the RCA adapters to?

A phone or laptop or PC usually has a 3.5mm output jack. If you have a 3.5mm -> 2xRCA plug cable you can use one of the devices into your amp.

The amp volume should be set to 0 and the source should be set on max. Then increase the amp volume carefully and gradually.

Questionable component made by a popular california company?

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 16
A phone or laptop or PC usually has a 3.5mm output jack. If you have a 3.5mm -> 2xRCA plug cable you can use one of the devices into your amp.

The amp volume should be set to 0 and the source should be set on max. Then increase the amp volume carefully and gradually.

Questionable component made by a popular california company?

Oh ok, never thought of that. I don’t have one of those, but thanks! I’m just really, really hoping the amp is ok because it’s literally brand new, and even if the dac company can repair/cover the dac, I’d be out of luck with a literally 1-day old amplifier :frowning2:

And I do know who you are referring to, but again I will choose to not mention any companies out of respect :)

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 16
The reason I asked is I have read too many posts about smoking devices on this forum.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back