Camping Thread (Post your Pics!)
Aug 23, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 30
Been doing alot of mountaneering and climbing in Norway and Sweden, but sadly I do not have the time for it anymore....

Kavlen, Bøverbræen, Jotunheimen, Norway.

018_16as.jpg

[size=xx-small]It's me in the orange jacket[/size]

Descenting after spending the night in the tree at 20 meters height. Great fun
cool.gif

031_32s.jpg

Aug 24, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 30
Anyone heard of Theif River Falls?

Alot of reitred people should know this one. No offense but there are alot of retired people there. Seen form Ariziona, California, Florida ect...
And of couse the mobs of Manitobans.

Aug 24, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
3lusiv3 - I'd be scared to camp there... I've seen too many Discovery Channel specials on those crazy spiders that chase you and can kill you in an hour or something. Ever have a run-in with one?

We've seen quite a few spiders and other things. If you keep away from wildlife they usually keep away from you. We camped about 3 metres from the hole/home of a huge python once. We had a case of a kangaroo literally jumping on the tent. It's scary being woken up at sunrise by something jumping on the tent and not knowing what it is. After it jumped off and on a couple of times I could make out what it was through the nylon tent and went outside to scare it away. Luckily it was only a small partly domesticated female that wanted some food. A ranger came around later and warned us not to feed her because she had been harassing campers. We have been to some pretty remote places around Australia where you don't see anybody for days.

Aug 24, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 30
My new substitution for Head-Fi and the reason for my relative dissapearance. In no particular order.

15676244-M.jpg

15676260-M.jpg

15676339-M.jpg

15676337-M.jpg

15676264-M.jpg

15676284-M.jpg

15676293-M.jpg

The world as your toilet...

15676290-M.jpg

15676315-M.jpg

15676333-M.jpg

Wind River Peak in the distance, summited further in the trip.

13960314-M.jpg

13960599-M.jpg

13960609-M.jpg

14039577-M.jpg

14039582-M.jpg

Our quinzies.

14039584-M.jpg

Desert sunset.

14039588-M.jpg

14039590-M.jpg

14039589-M.jpg

14039595-M.jpg

Ridge traverse.

14039598-M.jpg

Roadhead for resupply.

14039601-M.jpg

14047041-M.jpg

A little hackey-sack on top.

It was fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 30
3lusiv3 - The Discovery channel makes it out to be home to the most poisonous snakes and spiders in the world. Are they overstating or are the dangers more concentrated in certain areas??

SteeleBlayde - Those shots are beautiful! It looks like you were there for 2 seasons! I'm lovin the shots of the sunrise/set on the red landscape! I'm having a hard time telling from the photos but did you guys make it to Zion, UT??

Aug 25, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
3lusiv3 - The Discovery channel makes it out to be home to the most poisonous snakes and spiders in the world. Are they overstating or are the dangers more concentrated in certain areas??

They're probably right, but if you're cautious and well equipped it's fine.

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #23 of 30
I'm glad you enjoyed them, d-ej915.

Here's another good one I forgot to include:
13960613-M.jpg

Wakeride: Some of the desert/canyon pictures were taken in UT, along Desolation, Gray, and Labryinth Canyons along the Green River. The other canyon ones, in particular the ones with the very red clay and the rainbows were taken along the Dirty Devil River with its canyons and surrounding side-canyons/rivers which were some of the most moving scenes we saw. As a little side note, it actually snowed on us in the desert on the last trek to the roadhead for pickup. Very weird, I haven't found any pictures of that yet.

The rest of the pictures were taken in various parts of the Wind River Range of Wyoming, with the mountain ones taken in the southern range and the ones with very deep snow pack and telemark ski travel in the far northern range.

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #25 of 30
All the pics I posted were from my friend's site. He's a very good photographer and I never found out until after the trip. I was never into photography and I generally dont bring a camera on trips but I took 3 disposable cameras for all 3 months and all my pictures pale in comparison to his.
rolleyes.gif

I've started to really appreciate good photos however, especially when visiting more remote places that I may not see again and particularly on more extended forays deep into the backcountry where things really begin to mean something. I never used to really appreciate how good photos help bring back the memories.

Aug 25, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #26 of 30
I camp in Wolfenstein: ET and BF2 occasionally, does that count?
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #27 of 30
Camping is my other big interest besides headphones! My husband & I are counting down years till we can retire (8 more) and camp fulltime. Our plan is to sell our house & put our stuff in storage & take off for a couple of years. I hate to call it full time RVing because that brings an image of staying in a fancy RV in parking lot type places. We want to find all of the out of the way places & stay long enough to explore an area completely. We do have a 5th wheel trailer so its not completely roughing it -- but certainly not one of those really fancy rigs. It needs to be small enough to let us get into the more remote spots. Man I can't wait for that day to come.........

I'll post some of our southwest pictures when I get a little more time.

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela
Camping is my other big interest besides headphones! My husband & I are counting down years till we can retire (8 more) and camp fulltime. Our plan is to sell our house & put our stuff in storage & take off for a couple of years. I hate to call it full time RVing because that brings an image of staying in a fancy RV in parking lot type places. We want to find all of the out of the way places & stay long enough to explore an area completely. We do have a 5th wheel trailer so its not completely roughing it -- but certainly not one of those really fancy rigs. It needs to be small enough to let us get into the more remote spots. Man I can't wait for that day to come.........

I'll post some of our southwest pictures when I get a little more time.

I'd love to do that... well maybe not FT but a national camping tour for about 3 Mo would be sweet. PM me if you make plans to Nor Cal, I'll give you the inside track on some sweet spots.

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #29 of 30
I'd love to see some of the "hidden" spots in N. Cal. We went as far up the coast as San L Ibispo (sp?) many years ago -- and it was beautiful. But I can't wait to be able to spend as much time as we like in any one area. We were in Portland this summer & drove around just a little bit looking at some camping spots. It was so beautiful. Is there any Nat. Forest land or BML land in CA? In NM & Arizona you can do a lot of camping for free in the Nat. Forests. I wonder how much of this type camping there is outside of the southwest.

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela
I'd love to see some of the "hidden" spots in N. Cal. We went as far up the coast as San L Ibispo (sp?) many years ago -- and it was beautiful. But I can't wait to be able to spend as much time as we like in any one area. We were in Portland this summer & drove around just a little bit looking at some camping spots. It was so beautiful. Is there any Nat. Forest land or BML land in CA? In NM & Arizona you can do a lot of camping for free in the Nat. Forests. I wonder how much of this type camping there is outside of the southwest.

Yes, the pics I posted at the start of this thread are from an area I believe is considered Tahoe National Forest. Some areas you can camp in and some not but there are thousands of little lakes in Desolation Wilderness that are beautiful as well as a number of rivers. PM me if you'd like some detailed directions to a couple nice spots in the Sierras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back