Camping Thread (Post your Pics!)
Aug 22, 2005 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
If we don't go boating at Ice House Lake we go here to the Emerald Pools of the Yuba River which is in between Auburn and Truckee, CA (around 5000 feet). The water is cold but feels great on a hot day and there are cliffs that range from 10-100+ feet to jump off (my highest is about 95).

Where do you go?? Let's see some camping pics!

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 30
That place looks more like a Disney creation than a real camping spot. Absolutely beautiful. Reminds me of a waterfall pool in the mountains I once visited in Venezuaela.

I didn't get to camp much as a kid and even less as an adult. I usually prefer the creature comforts of a hotel. But I have to admit, I have enjoyed the camping I have done. In Southern Ontario, Algonquin Park is the wilderness of choice for most campers. It's a huge provincial park about 3 hours north of Toronto where you can set up your tent in one of several organized ( with water/washroom/shower facilities ) campground areas, or for those wanting the full, isolated, wilderness experience, canoe into the park on the hundreds of rivers and lakes which cover it's interior. The park is full of bear, wolves, moose, loons and Germans.
smily_headphones1.gif
For some reason, German and Scandinavian tourism is huge at Algonquin. I guess they have an above average passion for the outdoors. I'll try to dig up some photos, but in the meantime, HERE'S a website.

Imagine hundreds of square miles of this ( but without the golf course.)
IMG_0832Web.jpg

IMG_0857Web.jpg

IMG_0835Web.jpg

IMG_0858Web.jpg

IMG_0877Web.jpg

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 30
Wow, 100+ views and only 3 responding campers
confused.gif

Either we have too many city folk on head-fi or y'all need to get out more
biggrin.gif

All kidding aside I thought camping was a pretty common thing, a good way to exhale and break away from work/traffic and the daily grind. I'm surprised there are not more posts.

3lusiv3 - I'd be scared to camp there... I've seen too many Discovery Channel specials on those crazy spiders that chase you and can kill you in an hour or something. Ever have a run-in with one?

Claus1100xx - That first pic looks like one of the planets from Starship Troopers! beautiful

mbriant - love the colors in the changing trees! We don't get those seasons in CA... just winter and summer
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Wow, 100+ views and only 3 responding campers
confused.gif

Either we have too many city folk on head-fi or y'all need to get out more
biggrin.gif

All kidding aside I thought camping was a pretty common thing, a good way to exhale and break away from work/traffic and the daily grind. I'm surprised there are not more posts.

Our family has gone camping each year for about 18 years. We rarely bring a camera. Looking at the world as a photographer is very different from just experiencing it. For us, the cost of changing one's perspective in order to have photos is not worth it. We prefer to to carry away the pictures as mental imagery. As a result, we don't have to file and organize our images. But we can't contribute our mental pictures to this thread. I do, however enjoy viewing others' camping photos. Thanks for the great thread.

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
Our family has gone camping each year for about 18 years. We rarely bring a camera. Looking at the world as a photographer is very different from just experiencing it. For us, the cost of changing one's perspective in order to have photos is not worth it. We prefer to to carry away the pictures as mental imagery. As a result, we don't have to file and organize our images. But we can't contribute our mental pictures to this thread. I do, however enjoy viewing others' camping photos. Thanks for the great thread.

I can see that... I've been going to the river since I was little and these are the first digital pics I've taken and probably the 5th time I've taken any pics at all.

Aug 23, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74

Claus1100xx - That first pic looks like one of the planets from Starship Troopers! beautiful

Tha's the Devil's Half Acre and they actually filmed Starship Troopers at that location. Good eye
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 30
I'll reserve this spot for Im going camping this weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

wakeride, damn that place is beautiful!

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 30
i have never really been camping, i would really love to go but i have no one to go with :'( though, i have been to algonquin park a few times, (i live in markham). i have also been to yosemite which is also a reserve/park. when i went to yosemite i stayed in a cabin, and tried to go out when it was pitch black, but when i heard something in the bush, i ran with my tail between my legs
biggrin.gif
. i'll get some pics later, i'm working right now

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed
I'll reserve this spot for Im going camping this weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

wakeride, damn that place is beautiful!

Thanks, I can't go enough... the pics do it no justice.

Please post when you get back
tongue.gif

Also if anyone will be camping (as I will be) for Labor Day be sure to pull this thread back up and post some pics!

Aug 23, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

mbriant geek alert white socks, black shoes!!!!

That's not me. I took the picture. That's an old friend who prides himself on disturbing his stuffy old fellow BIGWIN ISLAND Golf Club members with his less than preppy fashion sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back