Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #661 of 1,099
I fell asleep wearing them last night while reclining in my chair. Started a new album when I woke up. They are heavier than aluminum or polymer shells, but that’s not really noticeable once you have them in.
good to know, because like like metal shells!

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #662 of 1,099
I was so bummed to see the Holocene sold through on the Drop site. I have a set of the Mammoth's and was so looking forward to hearing the BA counterpart to them. I am so tired of Chi-Fi. 50 sets of their version of Harmon. I love the character and musicality of (affordable) sets from CA and something like the Meze Rai Solo. I can't afford these $1000+ IEM's.,. Are their any other sets out there under $500 that are true works of art. Nothing has to be neutral, but the makers idea of making music beautiful! That's the way I have always built my home stereos, so it makes since that the IEM carry that same characteristic.
Maybe check out the Cascade, it gets high marks and in your price range. Also the newest DD driver from CFA and it is awesome!

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #663 of 1,099
I was so bummed to see the Holocene sold through on the Drop site
They come up in the classifieds sometimes, and there are still a few on Marketplace. That’s where I got my “like new” set. I know a lot of people swear by Drop, but I read the fine print of their terms after seeing complaints from people that didn’t realize some of the closeout stuff is not returnable.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #665 of 1,099
I was so bummed to see the Holocene sold through on the Drop site. I have a set of the Mammoth's and was so looking forward to hearing the BA counterpart to them. I am so tired of Chi-Fi. 50 sets of their version of Harmon. I love the character and musicality of (affordable) sets from CA and something like the Meze Rai Solo. I can't afford these $1000+ IEM's.,. Are their any other sets out there under $500 that are true works of art. Nothing has to be neutral, but the makers idea of making music beautiful! That's the way I have always built my home stereos, so it makes since that the IEM carry that same characteristic.
If you scan the classified section on here, occasionally there are good deals coming up on Andros and Aras at about the $500 price-mark.
There is a set of Ara on eBay at $470 as we speak (seller is from HK and I have personal experience to buy from this guy myself in the past).

Straying from CFA, another IEM you may consider that can be around at your price point is IE600. SennIE600 is a true work of art too and they are made in Germany/Ireland.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:21 AM Post #667 of 1,099
What's a good cable for mammoth?
Stock cable or any upgrade under 200. Many companies to choose from. Choose based on looks/pliability/feel or perhaps if you want to shell out on modular. There are at least 3 modular options under 200 but you open yourself up to more quality escapes and poor connections at both ends.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #668 of 1,099
Stock cable or any upgrade under 200. Many companies to choose from. Choose based on looks/pliability/feel or perhaps if you want to shell out on modular. There are at least 3 modular options under 200 but you open yourself up to more quality escapes and poor connections at both ends.
I want something to improve the sound.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #669 of 1,099
I'm sorry, I don't subscribe to that and won't endorse spending money for that purpose. Best of luck on your search.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #671 of 1,099
I'm sorry, I don't subscribe to that and won't endorse spending money for that purpose. Best of luck on your search.
Different cables have different resistance/impedance and that indeed changes the sound. but you have a pretty good point!

From my perspective a good set of cable (that does not break the bank) + a good range of tips to choose from (Tips have even a bigger impact on sound than the vast majority of cables) would be more than enough to listen to amazing..
[EQ added as and if needed]

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #672 of 1,099
How do you want to change the sound of your Mammoth?

I think that cables, tips and EQ can alter the sound of an IEM to better give you what your looking for. But it might end up being expensive. Have you considered to just keep the Mammoth as-is and use your cash to buy another IEM with a different tuning?

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #673 of 1,099
How do you want to change the sound of your Mammoth?

I think that cables, tips and EQ can alter the sound of an IEM to better give you what your looking for. But it might end up being expensive. Have you considered to just keep the Mammoth as-is and use your cash to buy another IEM with a different tuning?
Definitely agree I thought the Mammoth was one of their cheaper IEMs, not sure it’s worth tossing more money than the original cost at. I understand cable rolling for total IEMs to get your perfect sound. Which I do but your talking 3k and well up price point and buying cables that are a grand. Personally I’d buy a IEM with a sound that matches what you’re looking for, even if it might mean saving up.

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #674 of 1,099
Definitely agree I thought the Mammoth was one of their cheaper IEMs, not sure it’s worth tossing more money than the original cost at. I understand cable rolling for total IEMs to get your perfect sound. Which I do but your talking 3k and well up price point and buying cables that are a grand. Personally I’d buy a IEM with a sound that matches what you’re looking for, even if it might mean saving up.
I would think tip rolling would have more impact on sound than cables.

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #675 of 1,099

Users who are viewing this thread

Back