Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #571 of 1,412
This is the absolute best tips for Bonneville to my preferences: Pentaconn Corier Brass

Just brings coherency between the DD to BA transition incredibly well to my preferences

IMG_9271.jpeg
Where'd you order them from? Paying MSRP I'm okay with, but paying 60$ + Shipping from SEA 🥹

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #572 of 1,412
Where'd you order them from? Paying MSRP I'm okay with, but paying 60$ + Shipping from SEA 🥹

Bought mine from Jaben SG for $26.85 SGD + 8 SGD shipping international :)

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #573 of 1,412
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #574 of 1,412
Bought mine from Jaben SG for $26.85 SGD + 8 SGD shipping international :)
I just got Spiral Dot++'s in today. Not great on the RN6, still gotta move em around to the AG's and Solaris. About to check em out on the MEST MK2.
They strike me as wide bore CP360's; bass elevation with tame treble, but not as good as the Crystals or Xelastec. These will be my next adventure in tip rolling 😭

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #575 of 1,412
I just got Spiral Dot++'s in today. Not great on the RN6, still gotta move em around to the AG's and Solaris. About to check em out on the MEST MK2.
They strike me as wide bore CP360's; bass elevation with tame treble, but not as good as the Crystals or Xelastec. These will be my next adventure in tip rolling 😭

You just had the worst combo for Bonneville unfortunately. You want to tighten up the midbass by a tinge and bring the electric guitar presence a bit forward with Bonneville and that's where the Corier comes in and do its magic :)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #576 of 1,412
New Bonneville owner. I got a gracious demo from @Rockwell75 and within days I bought a set. I haven’t had my attention so captured in a long time.

But…. Thanks so much for the tip conversation and recommendations. I’ve been a Spiral Dot ++ fan for so long I don’t even bother to tip roll and I just put on some spin fits I’ve had lying around for years and what a difference. The clarity in the mids is highlighted and the bass tightens up considerably.
They clean up the one part of the freq spectrum that was my least favourite.

I’ve now got Eletech Baroque, Spinfit W1, Tri Clarion and the Pentaconn Corier Brass on order.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #577 of 1,412
New Bonneville owner. I got a gracious demo from @Rockwell75 and within days I bought a set. I haven’t had my attention so captured in a long time.

But…. Thanks so much for the tip conversation and recommendations. I’ve been a Spiral Dot ++ fan for so long I don’t even bother to tip roll and I just put on some spin fits I’ve had lying around for years and what a difference. The clarity in the mids is highlighted and the bass tightens up considerably.
They clean up the one part of the freq spectrum that was my least favourite.

I’ve now got Eletech Baroque, Spinfit W1, Tri Clarion and the Pentaconn Corier Brass on order.
Don't skip the AZLA Crystal's 😉 I'm curious about the Baroque as well, but I think i'll make the last push to the summit with the Brass and see if its any better at the top (not that the AZLA or Spin fit are inexepensive)

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #578 of 1,412
I did try the crystals briefly but I actually find them a bit uncomfortable. I’ll try them again.

Yeah the Pentaconns are pricey. About $60cad with free shipping from Linsoul to Canada. The Jaben SG shop sells one pair but wanted most $50 for shipping.. yikes

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #579 of 1,412
I can’t get over how much these spin fits improve things for my ears. I found some old unused Xelastecs and they were similar in sound to the Spiral Dot ++. A bit of a decrease in resolution in the midbass. Doesn’t suit my preference.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #580 of 1,412
I can’t get over how much these spin fits improve things for my ears. I found some old unused Xelastecs and they were similar in sound to the Spiral Dot ++. A bit of a decrease in resolution in the midbass. Doesn’t suit my preference.
Which RU7 all to DSD setting are you preferring?

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #582 of 1,412
Hi,
I have the chance to buy the black star. As I have the Ara. Pls tell me the diffetence between black star and Ara.
Thanks
Black Star is an evolution of the Solaris... 1 DD + 3 BAs, Ara is 7 BAs ...
I am not sure how the Black Star measures as I never saw its freq response anywhere, but Ara is way more detailed and with better technicalities but with a thin bass. As the BS is a Solaris follow up and had a DD, its bass is, in comparison, way more meaty but overall, once again in comparison, with lower technical sound quality ...

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #583 of 1,412
Black Star is an evolution of the Solaris... 1 DD + 3 BAs, Ara is 7 BAs ...
I am not sure how the Black Star measures as I never saw its freq response anywhere, but Ara is way more detailed and with better technicalities but with a thin bass. As the BS is a Solaris follow up and had a DD, its bass is, in comparison, way more meaty but overall, once again in comparison, with lower technical sound quality ...
Thanks Takeda, I find the Ara has a narrow soundstage and is not very airy. How is the BS in case of soundstage and airiness to the Ara?

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #584 of 1,412
Which RU7 all to DSD setting are you preferring?

I have been using the 256 setting but I haven’t experimented with the Bonnevilles yet.

I tried the 128 and I think I prefer that. A little less bloom in the upper bass and an increase emphasis in the mids. A little more clarity and vocal forward.

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #585 of 1,412
Hi,
I have the chance to buy the black star. As I have the Ara. Pls tell me the diffetence between black star and Ara.
Thanks

Hi @Andreas Bin Rudi, thanks for checking out BlackStar! I did some brief A/B-ing this morning; to my ear, Ara is more spacious, with a more 'breathy' quality. It also feels tighter and faster across the board. Right away, the difference in bass response is apparent. BlackStar has some rumble and width to it and simply a larger quantity of bass response. Ara's bass is very tight and reserved.

I also find BlackStar's vocals to be forward in a very pleasant way, with a touch of warmth to them, whereas Ara is a little more even-keeled from low through high and has a more delicate overall presentation. BlackStar is a richer, fuller sound in comparison, and Ara contrasts with its airy and sort of ethereal approach.

That being said, I do still find BlackStar to be nicely balanced. It shares enough with Ara that Ara users would enjoy it while being different enough to offer a new experience and not be redundant.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back