Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #136 of 1,408
Hi! Actually, I'm really glad someone brought this up as AI is all over the headlines these days and is such an interesting and exciting area of tech development right now.

I am also happy to discuss my process for creating the image if anyone is curious to know more about it.

As I think many people can tell, and as the poster rightly pointed out, I did use AI in the creation of the image for our holiday cards. I wanted to create a cool image that encapsulated the season and also help capture our Campfire vibe in the moment. But it wasn't quite as simple to create the image as a cleverly crafted prompt into ChatGPT.

Since AI is so new and evolving so quickly, I think that maybe there is some value in sharing my process and how I incorporated it into my workflow, if for no other reason than to know how someone like me might use it right now in the real world instead of some sci-fi future of headlines.

Initially, I had a pretty good idea of the scene I wanted as well as each element I wanted to include in the image. I wanted certain elements included, such as the campfire, the starry sky, the snowy beach, the forest, and the moon because it would have to be nighttime. It is so dark this time of year here in Portland.

So I worked with ChatGPT / DALL-E to rough out some elements and a general scene that was cool and had the right look and feel that I was after. This part takes way longer than I'd like to think, and sometimes you totally strike out completely. But here, I got lucky and had some images in the ballpark of what I wanted to do. But the images you get from DALL-E are pretty small and missing a lot of important details. So they aren't exactly usable for anything without more work.

That's where Photoshop comes into play. I fixed issues I had with the images, scaled and color-corrected them getting to a place where I had the basic image. You can't really go wrong with Photoshop, tried and true :)

Next, because I'm super curious about using every AI tool I can use these days, I went to Magnific.ai to enhance the image I had from Photoshop. It is a cool service but may be a bit expensive for what they are offering right now, I'm still on the fence about it. Basically, it adds another layer of AI to your image to add more details and change certain elements of the image with a series of sliders. The overall image treatment is cool though because it helps to make the image more coherent again in some weird kind of way, like applying a new finish to the entire image.

I played around with that for a while until I was happy and returned that image to Photoshop for more tweaking. In fact I dropped a couple of different images together and blended them together because there were cool parts of a number of my attempts but never all together. So it was a nice stack of Magnific's output images from that Photoshopped image that were finally worked together. And, of course, more image tweaking and color correcting with Photoshop.

After I got to an image I was happy with, I had to prepare it for the Risograph. I'm not sure everyone is familiar with this, but it is an office duplicator from Japan. It's a cool machine I could go on about for too long. It creates a 'Master' on rice paper and wraps it around a drum that has brightly colored soy-based ink in it. The printing is similar to a screen print or lithograph. But you have to select each color drum individually, and the ink colors are unique to Risograph ie not Pantone.

I tried a few different colorways with the Riso before deciding on a simple four-color take of Aqua, Fluorescent Pink, Yellow, and Black. Each of the colors is half-toned, and the black is 'grain touched,' which is a Riso setting that obscures the dots.

We ran each piece of paper through the Risograph 4 times, one for each color, doing our best to align each color to the previous layers. Because it is such an analog process, there is plenty of room for misalignment, but that is also the charm of the Riso.

The final step was cutting them down to envelope-friendly size, which we did with our guillotine paper cutter and with the old-school rounded corner cuts. Then we flipped them over and gave them some official stamp marks to make them that much cooler.

Anyway, it's a long story, but hopefully, someone finds it a bit interesting.

I really feel like it's an exciting time right now and there are so many new tools that are becoming available so quickly. My approach is to try them out and see what they can do and if they work in my own workflow. Maybe they will, or maybe they won't; either way is totally cool. Since I already love gadgets and technology, I really enjoy playing with them and folding them into my creative workflow when it makes sense. I don't think these tools will replace my love of analog processes anytime soon, but luckily, I don't have to choose just one or the other. If you've made it this far, thanks for reading! Turned out much longer than I expected :)
MidJourney was interesting when it first came out, I haven't messed around with ChatGPT. I think the totality of criticism, however course, is moot when we consider that the image isn't monetized/merchandised; it's a cool banner/post-card.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #137 of 1,408
I'm really happy to hear this! That model in particular, is such a mystery to me why it wasn't more popular at launch. Maybe because it was boxed between Andromeda and Solaris? But dang it's really nice and one of my personal favorites. Also, you can't beat a raw machined titanium shell :) It was funny because when Ken wrapped it up and we listened to it, I thought, "Wow!", it sounded good and looked awesome. So figured it would be an easy pitch to our dealers. But when I had a meetings with various overseas dealers, they said they felt it looked boring because it was gray?! :sweat_smile: I was like, 'Yeah it is gray, it's Titanium' :sob: So yeah, in the begining it really wasn't as popular as I initially expected it to be. The good news is that since then it has slowly developed a low-key cult following, which is honestly maybe the best outcome after all. Anyway, glad to hear you like it too!
My take on the Ara’s “lack of success” is indeed the fact that it was in-between two popular models but also the fact that it was wrongly compared to / described as akin to the Andromeda SE Gold which shared the same driver configuration for a slightly more qualitative low-end but that’s really it — their tuning couldn't be more different but it seems to me that this comparison vs experiences shared here led many customers astray.

Add to this a pathological need to put balanced cables on every IEM often impacting the intended sound signature didn’t help.
On that note, it seems that you guys usually ship the right cable with your IEMs and single-ended is the right way to go in order to get the most out of the Ara in my book — as long as the output impedance of the source is under 2 ohms (not for nothing you guys only sold Sony’s back then :wink:).

Btw, ‘Classic Hi-Fi’ is perhaps the marketing tagline that fits the Ara best.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #139 of 1,408
I'm really happy to hear this! That model in particular, is such a mystery to me why it wasn't more popular at launch. Maybe because it was boxed between Andromeda and Solaris? But dang it's really nice and one of my personal favorites. Also, you can't beat a raw machined titanium shell :) It was funny because when Ken wrapped it up and we listened to it, I thought, "Wow!", it sounded good and looked awesome. So figured it would be an easy pitch to our dealers. But when I had a meetings with various overseas dealers, they said they felt it looked boring because it was gray?! :sweat_smile: I was like, 'Yeah it is gray, it's Titanium' :sob: So yeah, in the begining it really wasn't as popular as I initially expected it to be. The good news is that since then it has slowly developed a low-key cult following, which is honestly maybe the best outcome after all. Anyway, glad to hear you like it too!
Ara has called to me since I first heard of it. The 7 BA, no crossover, titanium shell called to the engineer in me, but I wasn't ready to take that kind of blind leap. (I try to be responsible and reserved most of the time.) Holocene was supposed to be a first step. The plan was if I liked it, then I'd seek out a good used Ara. Black Star is a party crasher. FOMO

In a completely different direction are the sub $300 offerings a thing of the past? It took awhile to dive deeper because I never could find many comparisons to the Onyx. I figured it could use some love here. I never thought it was super bassy until I tried the Holocene right after it. But it really isn’t. It stays at work. It suits the environment. I think they look good too. Which other model do you think they’d be closest to in sound signature?
IMG_9013.jpeg
IMG_9016.jpeg

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #140 of 1,408
Ara has called to me since I first heard of it. The 7 BA, no crossover, titanium shell called to the engineer in me, but I wasn't ready to take that kind of blind leap. (I try to be responsible and reserved most of the time.) Holocene was supposed to be a first step. The plan was if I liked it, then I'd seek out a good used Ara. Black Star is a party crasher. FOMO

In a completely different direction are the sub $300 offerings a thing of the past? It took awhile to dive deeper because I never could find many comparisons to the Onyx. I figured it could use some love here. I never thought it was super bassy until I tried the Holocene right after it. But it really isn’t. It stays at work. It suits the environment. I think they look good too. Which other model do you think they’d be closest to in sound signature?IMG_9013.jpegIMG_9016.jpeg
I have the Holocene and love it - can you tell me more about how you find the Blackstar in comparison, as I was thinking of trading up to it

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #143 of 1,408
My first Campfire after westons shure Final Audio
Und my current favorite IEM .😍
Play with the smallest Astell Kern 😅
You can't say this enough...i love how easy my CFA are to drive. I say this while listening to a FatFreq MSE which needs my DAP on high gain and pretty high volume to sound good, where Bonneville and BS can easily work on low (not even needing medium) gain and don't need much juice to sound amazing.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #144 of 1,408

In a completely different direction are the sub $300 offerings a thing of the past? It took awhile to dive deeper because I never could find many comparisons to the Onyx. I figured it could use some love here. I never thought it was super bassy until I tried the Holocene right after it. But it really isn’t. It stays at work. It suits the environment. I think they look good too. Which other model do you think they’d be closest to in sound signature?IMG_9013.jpegIMG_9016.jpeg
That's how I felt with the AG Titanium during that event 😭It's basically an Ara with more warmth and a touch more energy, almost the same graph with differences I boil down to a phase shift from the measurement rig.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #145 of 1,408
I have the Holocene and love it - can you tell me more about how you find the Blackstar in comparison, as I was thinking of trading up to it
I think I'm awful at articulating what I hear. They’re still both pretty new to me. Just got some new tips that I think are going to be my go to from now on. I’ve only tried half a dozen; I’m still sort of a noob. But I will give it a thorough attempt sometime soon. The short version is don’t wait too long or Black Star will be gone. It’s the luckiest, financially irresponsible impulse buy I’ve made.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #146 of 1,408
I think I'm awful at articulating what I hear. They’re still both pretty new to me. Just got some new tips that I think are going to be my go to from now on. I’ve only tried half a dozen; I’m still sort of a noob. But I will give it a thorough attempt sometime soon. The short version is don’t wait too long or Black Star will be gone. It’s the luckiest, financially irresponsible impulse buy I’ve made.
Yeah - I’ve been thinking about it but I would probably trade in my Holocene to justify getting the Blackstar.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #147 of 1,408
My take on the Ara’s “lack of success” is indeed the fact that it was in-between two popular models but also the fact that it was wrongly compared to / described as akin to the Andromeda SE Gold which shared the same driver configuration for a slightly more qualitative low-end but that’s really it — their tuning couldn't be more different but it seems to me that this comparison vs experiences shared here led many customers astray.

Add to this a pathological need to put balanced cables on every IEM often impacting the intended sound signature didn’t help.
On that note, it seems that you guys usually ship the right cable with your IEMs and single-ended is the right way to go in order to get the most out of the Ara in my book — as long as the output impedance of the source is under 2 ohms (not for nothing you guys only sold Sony’s back then :wink:).

Btw, ‘Classic Hi-Fi’ is perhaps the marketing tagline that fits the Ara best.
Idk. I came to the store many times to audition Andro 2020 and Ara before settling for the former. The Ara midrange is … strange. (Or odd, if I’m perfectly blunt). I don’t think being “misunderstood middle child” is the problem.

Ara is 8.5ohm, afaik. You need something < 1ohm OI to not mess it up, unless you want to use OI to “tune” the IEM somehow.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #149 of 1,408
I love my CA Ara
Me too... and the titanium shell is so good looking aside that I can actually use them (with good care in all case but without being paranoid about scratching beautiful, but very fragile and flaky anodized finishing of most Andro models (was that an intended obsolescence move or just poor design?)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back