Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #5,327 of 5,394
Quick question is it worth going balanced on the Lyra II ?

I have the facility on my Kann so was thinking I may as well use it

I bought a stock ALO cable for my Lyra II terminated with a 2.5mm TRRS so I could use in with the balanced output of my AK 70II. While the difference between balanced and single ended is immediately noticeable with by Atticus, it is subtle and maybe even negligible with my Lyra II.

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #5,328 of 5,394
Can anyone tell me how well the Vega isolates?

I’ve read a lot of reviews on the Vega, and the ones that are gush-fests of course state that the isolation is amazing, but I tend to ignore gush-fest reviews on principle. Conversely, the more balanced reviews I’ve read haven’t really gone into the isolation.

I ask because assuming a good bar for amazing isolation is, say, Shure’s offerings, then this doesn’t really track based on what I know about DD IEMs... They need a port or vent to facilitate air movement for the driver, no? And these openings, while not destroying isolation by any means, definitely remove DD IEMs from the best-of-the-best isolation discussion, yes? So a DD IEM can have decent isolation, but certainly not amazing... Right?

The small black hole visible on the Vega would be the vent, correct?

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #5,329 of 5,394
Can anyone tell me how well the Vega isolates?

I’ve read a lot of reviews on the Vega, and the ones that are gush-fests of course state that the isolation is amazing, but I tend to ignore gush-fest reviews on principle. Conversely, the more balanced reviews I’ve read haven’t really gone into the isolation.

I ask because assuming a good bar for amazing isolation is, say, Shure’s offerings, then this doesn’t really track based on what I know about DD IEMs... They need a port or vent to facilitate air movement for the driver, no? And these openings, while not destroying isolation by any means, definitely remove DD IEMs from the best-of-the-best isolation discussion, yes? So a DD IEM can have decent isolation, but certainly not amazing... Right?

The small black hole visible on the Vega would be the vent, correct?

Isolation is good on the the Vega due to the snug fit in the ear and the solid Liquid metal shell. You are right, the vent hole to slow the DD to "breathe" means it is pretty good for a DD based IEM but didn't get to the same level of isolation as a sealed all-BA IEM like the Weston's or Shure designs (for me anyway).

One thing to bear in mind: if you are worried about isolation, is this for using the IEMs on the move (I.e. public transport, planes etc)? The enhanced bass of the Vega will do an excellent job of masking low frequency external noise from things like trams or trains in daily use. Hope that helps?

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #5,330 of 5,394
One thing to bear in mind: if you are worried about isolation, is this for using the IEMs on the move (I.e. public transport, planes etc)? The enhanced bass of the Vega will do an excellent job of masking low frequency external noise from things like trams or trains in daily use. Hope that helps?
Agreed. Once music is playing, the Vega does an even better job of isolating just by virtue of how thick its sound signature is.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #5,331 of 5,394
I'll admit I haven't looked, but has anyone compared the Vega and Atlas? I'd appreciate a link...

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #5,333 of 5,394
Ive had prolonged usage with both, what would you like to know?

I have reasons to perhaps prefer the Vega to the Atlas for reasons other than sound. Because of that, I am interested in what differences there are in sound between the Vega and Atlas.

I have the Lyra II, had an all-too-short afternoon with Vega, and also have the Atlas. The Vega and Atlas are at least a little (and in some respects a lot) better than the Lyra II, so I'm considering an upgrade. The Atlas is an upgrade, and I've come to terms with the bass, to the point that I sometimes miss its punch when I'm listening to other IEMs. I do have ergonomic issues with the Atlas, though. I have a hard time getting them properly and securely seated and am often fidgeting with them. I don't have that problem with the Lyra II. Since the Lyra and Vega have similar shell shapes, I am hopeful the differences between the sound of the Vega and Atlas are nil or small.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #5,334 of 5,394
I have reasons to perhaps prefer the Vega to the Atlas for reasons other than sound. Because of that, I am interested in what differences there are in sound between the Vega and Atlas.

I have the Lyra II, had an all-too-short afternoon with Vega, and also have the Atlas. The Vega and Atlas are at least a little (and in some respects a lot) better than the Lyra II, so I'm considering an upgrade. The Atlas is an upgrade, and I've come to terms with the bass, to the point that I sometimes miss its punch when I'm listening to other IEMs. I do have ergonomic issues with the Atlas, though. I have a hard time getting them properly and securely seated and am often fidgeting with them. I don't have that problem with the Lyra II. Since the Lyra and Vega have similar shell shapes, I am hopeful the differences between the sound of the Vega and Atlas are nil or small.

The Vega is by far the most comfortable, it is the exact same dimensions as the Lyra II. I consider the Atlas to be a substantial upgrade to the Vega in almost all departments except for fit (I personally don’t have a problem with either, I have large ears) and some differences on where the bass emphasis lies. I personally felt that the Vega had a little more sub bass extension from memory, very marginal but i definitely remember it being more controlled and defined in this area. The Atlas however has a bigger all around sound, better mids and much better treble. The Atlas felt as though a veil had been lifted off of the Vega’s signature and personally fulfilled everything that I felt was lacking of the Vega. As far as comfort goes however the Vega has no equal in my experience! I forgot they were in at times. I hope this helps.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #5,335 of 5,394
The Vega is by far the most comfortable, it is the exact same dimensions as the Lyra II. I consider the Atlas to be a substantial upgrade to the Vega in almost all departments except for fit (I personally don’t have a problem with either, I have large ears) and some differences on where the bass emphasis lies. I personally felt that the Vega had a little more sub bass extension from memory, very marginal but i definitely remember it being more controlled and defined in this area. The Atlas however has a bigger all around sound, better mids and much better treble. The Atlas felt as though a veil had been lifted off of the Vega’s signature and personally fulfilled everything that I felt was lacking of the Vega. As far as comfort goes however the Vega has no equal in my experience! I forgot they were in at times. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Tristy. It helps and it doesn't help. It helps in that you've given a clear and coherent description of the differences you heard, thank you. But, the differences you heard between the Vega and Atlas are nearly identical to what I hear between the Lyra and Atlas. It sounds like I'd be disappointed trading the Atlas sound for the Vega sound. While I agree with you about the fit of the Lyra/ Vega, I don't know that I'd be happy with the Vega sound after having the Atlas.

Tough decision ahead... Keep the Atlas or not? Anyone else? Please weigh in...

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #5,337 of 5,394
I've almost bought the Atlas three times but every time backed out. I'm content with Lyra II and Vega due to pleasing sound and comfort. Maybe down the road I'll try the Equinox.

Equinox is the way to go IMO. Demoed the universal demo and it's definitely more of a Vega with better lower treble control and Atlas bass, but less congested like the Vegas

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #5,338 of 5,394
Equinox is the way to go IMO. Demoed the universal demo and it's definitely more of a Vega with better lower treble control and Atlas bass, but less congested like the Vegas
Thanks for the tip. I changed gears and ordred the Fibae Black. More affordable and seems to offer a smooth signature from reviews. I know campfire will have more awesome dynamic drivers to come. This will be my first custom so hopefully all goes well.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #5,339 of 5,394
Dear Final Audio,

I really want silicone tips with this profile (E series):
final.jpg
and this bore:
SD.jpg
Pretty please?

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #5,340 of 5,394
I've vigorously enjoyed my Vega for a over a year now, maybe too much:

VEGA.jpg

The black nozzle separated. The thing is, I bought this second hand, with less than 20 hours of use. I totally believe that since none of the tips were used and the ownership card wasn't even signed. I'm outside US, do you guys think Campfire would help me out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back