Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 16, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #4,516 of 5,394
^ If I hadn’t lost every accessory my Shure SE946 came with over the past fes years (all I have now is the monitors, HeadphoneLounge copper litz cable and single pair of large Spinfits) and they were newer I’d suggest a trade+extra $$ from me. That’s if you were truly unhappy with the Vegas and they’re definitely not faulty too.

Have you tried different tips? And are they fully burned in?
I, too, am surprised at the "ton of sibilance". It's the lack of sibilance that makes trebles bearable. Cymbals sound amazing to me through Vega. So, I wonder if it's tips or faulty as well. Could just be that much different in our neurological perceptions of sound, too.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #4,517 of 5,394
Having re-read the post following my morning walk I noticed 100 hours burn-in had been mentioned.

It could indeed be as (not so) simple as neurological perception as HeartofSky said.

Interestingly enough I just love the sound of cymbals from the Shures. I also find the timbre to be on point though others have said it’s not. There must be a point at which graphs and perception part ways.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #4,518 of 5,394
Agreed. I removed the wire before the end of the first day with my Lyra II's. 1000% better. Horrible design choice.
Finally got my flush wire cutters in the mail today. Removed the external shrink layer and memory wire. You're right, it feels so much better.

Did you removed the 2nd, internal layer of heat shrink as well? For now, I see no reason to do away with it. It's quite pliable.

Dec 16, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #4,519 of 5,394
Having re-read the post following my morning walk I noticed 100 hours burn-in had been mentioned.

It could indeed be as (not so) simple as neurological perception as HeartofSky said.

Interestingly enough I just love the sound of cymbals from the Shures. I also find the treble to be on point though others have said it’s not. There must be a point at which graphs and perception part ways.
I know that so much of my perception of sound has change din the past 14 mths, with the use of a certain substance. The alterations in how I perceive sound appear to have had permanent affects, for which I'm very grateful. I was listening to a Sphongle track from Codex VI, on vinyl, recently and there was an amazing cascade of cymbals. So clear and not sibilant to me.

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #4,520 of 5,394
Finally got my flush wire cutters in the mail today. Removed the external shrink layer and memory wire. You're right, it feels so much better.

Did you removed the 2nd, internal layer of heat shrink as well? For now, I see no reason to do away with it. It's quite pliable.

I didn't notice any 2nd, internal heat shrink. Seemed to all come off as one sheath for me. As you can see it's just beautiful bare cable:

cable.jpg

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #4,525 of 5,394
Interestingly enough I just love the sound of cymbals from the Shures. I also find the timbre to be on point though others have said it’s not. There must be a point at which graphs and perception part ways.

When I first got into the audio hobby the quantitative vs. subjective debate was raging in the magazines (Stereophile and the Abso!ute Sound). It started with the beginnings of Sterrophile and J. Gordon Holt trying to figure out a way to measure audio gear such that a set of graphs could be used to reliably judge how a piece of equipment would sound. People were happily debating with one another ten years later when I put together a system I was happy with and quit listening to the ruckus. I think the graphs and measurements can serve as a guide, and perhaps even be used in isolation to find gear that is a decent fit for particular tastes. The only way, though, to find the magic, perfect gear, is to listen.

Good thing, too. If data were perfect, we'd all have a pair of Binford 6100 Auditor IEMs and then where would this hobby be?

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,526 of 5,394

Im going for another 100hs mark burnin stretch, with the volulme a a little higher. Also ordered some complys (Ive read somewhere else in the thread that it could tame the Vegas).
Lets, check.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #4,527 of 5,394
Im going for another 100hs mark burnin stretch, with the volulme a a little higher. Also ordered some complys (Ive read somewhere else in the thread that it could tame the Vegas).
Lets, check.

Comply Comfort are what I use. Sound excellent!

Dec 18, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #4,530 of 5,394
Just use a box cutting blade, you can poke the end of the wire through the plastic and pull down on it this will tear through the majorty of the heat shrink, finish the job carfully! with a box cutting blade, the memory wire will pull out of its foundation

Nice review graham to bad ure taste in music :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back