Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4,111 of 5,394
No IEM needs burn-in time, because they measure the same after one day, one month and one year.

Perhaps, you might want to spend more time trusting your ears and ability to perceive sound, rather than trusting measurements on tools that have no capacity to perceive? If you can't tell a difference. That's totally fine. But to tell everyone else that they must not be able to, because you cannot, is a disservice to anyone with better ears than yours

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4,112 of 5,394
I really wish that foam tips didn't cause my ears to get irritated, causing me to not be able to use my Vega for a day or so while they recover. A good seal with foam tips, for me, really brings out the beauty of their sound. So, I save that for special days, where the price of irritation is worth the benefit of the experience.

Have you thought of picking up some of the mandarines symbio tips? They a silicon memory foam hybrid tip that people around here really seem to like that could potentially give you the fit of a foam tip with the comfort of silicon. I tried them and they can definitely give you a good seal, but they were a bit stiff for me personally. But something to try.

Anyways, vegas have been my goto since I got them in February. Still love em. Just picked up a pair of polaris as well that Im really liking... now I guess campfire is going to steal even more of my money when they start using vegas driver in newer iems.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #4,113 of 5,394
Have you thought of picking up some of the mandarines symbio tips? They a silicon memory foam hybrid tip that people around here really seem to like that could potentially give you the fit of a foam tip with the comfort of silicon. I tried them and they can definitely give you a good seal, but they were a bit stiff for me personally. But something to try.

Anyways, vegas have been my goto since I got them in February. Still love em. Just picked up a pair of polaris as well that Im really liking... now I guess campfire is going to steal even more of my money when they start using vegas driver in newer iems.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look those tips up right now. I really hear a dramatic improvement in foam over the black tips.

With as amazing as CA is, I wish I weren't so broke. Just got a friend to by 2x Lyra II though. Would be great to see Vega drivers in other IEM's, but that would definitely make them pricey. That driver is so expensive to make, with its low yield. Damn genius design though.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #4,114 of 5,394
So great to see another person enjoying the beauty and genius that is Campfire Audio.

Yes, Goldfrapp - Tales of Us is just mesmerizing on the Vega. You should try the vinyl. Just... spectacular.

How far into your burn in are you now? It really REALLY starts to open up after 100hrs. A soundstage that was once flat becomes a lush sonic paradise.

I really wish that foam tips didn't cause my ears to get irritated, causing me to not be able to use my Vega for a day or so while they recover. A good seal with foam tips, for me, really brings out the beauty of their sound. So, I save that for special days, where the price of irritation is worth the benefit of the experience.

You are going to continue to be so very pleased with these babies. I'm 4mths in now.
Still loving the Vegas. I have about 80 hours on them. They just seem to bring out the best of my music, the P2 and Ref8 help though. I still am amazed that the sound I hear comes from those little earphones. The soundstage is good now, if it gets better I will be in audio nirvana.

I actually have gotten used to foam tips. If I squish them and hold them in my ear for about 20 seconds I get a great seal. Even the silicone tips don't seal as good for me. I have really large ears though. I want to try some other tips but I get great sound as is.

I unfortunately don't have any vinyl. I know I would love it but the though of my music degrading every time I play it would stop me from listening. Maybe someday.

Thanks for encouraging me, and others, to keep listening.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,115 of 5,394
Still loving the Vegas. I have about 80 hours on them. They just seem to bring out the best of my music, the P2 and Ref8 help though. I still am amazed that the sound I hear comes from those little earphones. The soundstage is good now, if it gets better I will be in audio nirvana.

I actually have gotten used to foam tips. If I squish them and hold them in my ear for about 20 seconds I get a great seal. Even the silicone tips don't seal as good for me. I have really large ears though. I want to try some other tips but I get great sound as is.

I unfortunately don't have any vinyl. I know I would love it but the though of my music degrading every time I play it would stop me from listening. Maybe someday.

Thanks for encouraging me, and others, to keep listening.
I only have a few vinyl, mainly because I want to own a physical imprint of some of my favorite music. The Vega scales so well that listening to vinyl through them will likely cause your head to explode. LMAO

I'll be working for years, and spending thousands just to bring out the full potential of these beauties.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #4,116 of 5,394
Perhaps, you might want to spend more time trusting your ears and ability to perceive sound, rather than trusting measurements on tools that have no capacity to perceive? If you can't tell a difference. That's totally fine. But to tell everyone else that they must not be able to, because you cannot, is a disservice to anyone with better ears than yours

Measurements are performed with microphones, same tools that the recordings you listen to are being done with.

So, if every single note you listen to is subject to limitations of these tools, why bother about burn-in effects that allegedly go unnoticed by these tools?

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #4,117 of 5,394
Measurements are performed with microphones, same tools that the recordings you listen to are being done with.
Because those devices only record sound. They don't perceive it. Perception is, after all... everything. If people can perceive a difference between out of box and burned in, then it doesn't matter what the tools can measure. Clearly, the tools are either not sensitive enough or are unable to work the data as well as a brain does, in regard to perception.

The thing that irks me is that people continue to assert that if a fine detail cannot be measured mechanically, then it must therefore not exist. This is a terrible flaw in logic.

So, if every single note you listen to is subject to limitations of these tools, why bother about burn-in effects that allegedly go unnoticed by these tools?
Because I don't use the tools to listen to my music. That's why. Can you really not tell a difference? Don't rely on the measuring tools. Close your eyes and listen to the sound, not the printout of a non-sentient piece of machinery.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #4,118 of 5,394
It's to a certain degree normal for human beings to percieve things that are physically not existent. I trust my ears only in so far that I know what I like and what not. Never forget: every time we talk about "ears" we also talk about that part of our brains that does the actual hearing, which is an interpretative process. Adaption is a known part of that process.

Shure has measured their microphones.

"We've got a lot of data on those over the years, and we're not convinced on mic burn in either," Engstrom says. "If you think about it, regardless of whether a mic is plugged in, it's always hearing, it's always on. So, in theory, wouldn't those drivers always be burning in, and therefore wouldn't the curve be very very different over the course of its life?"

No burn-in for microphones means no burn-in for tiny IEMs where the potential for mechanical deviation is below that of microphones. This is logical.

The human intellect is much more trustable, albeit not everyones, than human ears.

When burn-in hasn't been used as a strawman argument, then it most probably has been confused with a successfull adaption to the sound signature.

Now back on topic. After some more days with the Vega, I don't feel so bad anymore about them, but I also still haven't adapted. This sound sig really seem to not want to let me completely dive into the music albeit I'm willing to try and try again.. :)

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #4,119 of 5,394
Now back on topic. After some more days with the Vega, I don't feel so bad anymore about them, but I also still haven't adapted. This sound sig really seem to not want to let me completely dive into the music albeit I'm willing to try and try again.. :)

Same here. It´s not that I don´t like the Vega, in fact I´ll keep ´em, but when I switched back to my Layla II and KSE1500 after a few days of using the Vega + balanced Ref8 cables, I quickly noticed the difference between creating an illusion (what the Vega does) and real high end sound (Layla II & KSE1500). The Vega is doing a fine job of luring you in and keeping you in their "Campfire Fantasy World", but if your desire is "to hear the sound as the artist intended", you still need to put some serious cash on the table. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,120 of 5,394
Same here. It´s not that I don´t like the Vega, in fact I´ll keep ´em, but when I switched back to my Layla II and KSE1500 after a few days of using the Vega + balanced Ref8 cables, I quickly noticed the difference between creating an illusion (what the Vega does) and real high end sound (Layla II & KSE1500). The Vega is doing a fine job of luring you in and keeping you in their "Campfire Fantasy World", but if your desire is "to hear the sound as the artist intended", you still need to put some serious cash on the table. :wink:

Kind of a weird post. So is any signature that's not truly flat or neutral a "fantasy world" or an illusion to you? I understand if exact reproduction is your end goal, but that's a very subjective thing and I take some slight issue with what I perceive as a value judgement that flat or neutral is better. But if I am reading too much into that, I apologize.

Anyways, I don't think anyone would ever try to make the claim that the vegas are even remotely neutral or flat, they are most certainly not. And I think to a good portion of us they represent a really fun tuning that still delivers high end sound, its just not flat or neutral, and I think there is room for colored sound to still be high end. And as someone who likes the vega a lot, I can definitely see how others would not like it, all comes down to personal sound signature preferences.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #4,121 of 5,394
Kind of a weird post. So is any signature that's not truly flat or neutral a "fantasy world" or an illusion to you? I understand if exact reproduction is your end goal, but that's a very subjective thing and I take some slight issue with what I perceive as a value judgement that flat or neutral is better. But if I am reading too much into that, I apologize.

Yeah, you do.
In fact, we´re on the same page. As I said, I´m keeping the Vega because I too like the "fun sounding tuning". I mean, Ken Ball himself said, he wanted the Vega to create a certain kind of atmosphere.
Jerry Harvey created the Layla II as a mastering tool, which means, he wanted the Layla to exactly replicate, what´s happening on stage or in the studio.
2 different intention from 2 different iem designers, and all I´m saying is, you can hear that. My experience is, you don´t need much money to satisfy the need for a fun sounding IEM, but much more cash to if you want to hear every nuance and detail that´s on the recording.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4,122 of 5,394
I sent my Vega back for repairs and received a new unit. Again pretty different from when I sent it back - let it burn in again and all was well again.
Can I ask what repairs you needed to send your Vega in for? I would think with the construction materials of the Vega's build, it would be bulletproof, or at least really hard to damage.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #4,123 of 5,394
I would think with the construction materials of the Vega's build, it would be bulletproof, or at least really hard to damage.
I had to return my pair back and get a replacement too. Even though the material is really good, there are always issue in the manufacturing and the assembly process. Having said that, the QC on CA iems has been really good I believe, my dealer also agrees. Also, I had no issues with my return. I contacted Ken and my dealer separately, and they replaced my iems without a hassle after seeing the issue.

Regards,

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #4,124 of 5,394
Can I ask what repairs you needed to send your Vega in for? I would think with the construction materials of the Vega's build, it would be bulletproof, or at least really hard to damage.

I had to return my pair back and get a replacement too. Even though the material is really good, there are always issue in the manufacturing and the assembly process. Having said that, the QC on CA iems has been really good I believe, my dealer also agrees. Also, I had no issues with my return. I contacted Ken and my dealer separately, and they replaced my iems without a hassle after seeing the issue.

Regards,

Same. Mine was just a defect, the adhesive holding the liquid alloy housing and the plastic nozzle together came loose. Was upset of course but Campfire quickly and easily provided me with a new replacement pair.

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #4,125 of 5,394
Same. Mine was just a defect, the adhesive holding the liquid alloy housing and the plastic nozzle together came loose. Was upset of course but Campfire quickly and easily provided me with a new replacement pair.

Oh wow, same issue with my pair. There was a visible gap on one side between the seam joining the metal shell and the plastic nozzle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back