Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #3,991 of 5,394
Thanks all. And I've tried Lyra II and Dorado last weekend. First thing I noticed is that Dorado is easier to drive. The treble on Lyra II is more laid back. I cannot tell any significant difference between the bass of the two, maybe dorado's bass decay a bit quicker but I am not sure. Both separation are good. The resolution is decent, not the best but it does not have a very big sound stage either so that would be enough. Overall I like Dorado more because the high and vocal is brighter that I do not have to be focus to hear them.
Also I just spotted a decent second-hand offer of Dorado. The last thing I am worried about is the noise isolation tho. The store I tried was not that noisy and Dorado was having spinfit tip which was too long to get a good seal, so I could not really test the noise isolation. And I do want some better isolation than my current AKG N40.[/QUOTE/)

I haven't tried the Lyra 2 but I own the Dorado, The isolation with foam tips is fairly comparable with most IEM's plus they seem to sound slightly better with the foam tips. I've found that the Dorado benefits from slight EQing, at least on my Cayin N3. I reduced 125 and 250 hz slightly and bumped up 1000 and 2000 hz by about 1 db. I haven't spent a bunch of time listening to all of the TOTL IEM's out there but I have listened to the K10,SE846 and Andromeda a little.
With the eq tweaks, I'm pretty happy with them so far. It may depend on what types of music you listen to the most though, I listen to a lot of hard rock, some metal, pop and world music where the bump in the bottom end really helps. For classical or really well recorded complex music maybe something like the Andromeda might be a bit better. For what I listen to, absolute neutrality tends to rob the music of a little bit of it's drive.

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #3,992 of 5,394

Have you experienced a burn in with the Dorado?

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3,994 of 5,394
Have you experienced a burn in with the Dorado?
Most definitely, although I did get a new DAP at the same time, which was also burning in so I can't too accurately describe the differences. I would say the bass was a little wooly and bled into the mids and now it doesn't.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,995 of 5,394
Most definitely, although I did get a new DAP at the same time, which was also burning in so I can't too accurately describe the differences. I would say the bass was a little wooly and bled into the mids and now it doesn't.

That's good!

I remember when I demoed the Dorado the bass was too much for me and I didn't want to risk it cuz I really needed something with a little more relaxation. The Dorado definitely has an energy to it and the bass definitely bled into the mids initially. So I got the Vega instead which I had previously tried at canjam and knew it hit home..

But I could definitely hear a potential from it if it cooled down to be a TOTL V-shape hybrid IEM (a conservative V-shape if it cooled down).

One thing that was really special was the way it transitioned into different parts of the songs. I forget what the terms are (refrain, chorus, modality shifts), but it really did an amazing job with that and I haven't heard that since, nor before. The Hybrid combo of it and how it was implemented was really brought out in that way. That's where the energy impressed me.

And I loved the way it sparkled. It wasn't too much, but definitely emerged when the song called upon it.

Every CA IEM I have tried (Nova, Dorado, Andromeda, Vega) has something uniquely special about it.

I hope it gets to the point where you don't have to EQ it cuz it has a very beautiful synergy if you don't. I do know that DD's can take a long time to burn in and have heard many reports of changes occurring up to 400 hours even. I have heard a difference in my Vega continuously.

I really hope it continues to work out for you!

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #3,996 of 5,394
IMG_3389.JPG Mandarine tips, Campfire Audio Vegas, Alo Audio Balanced Litz, Opus#2.

I am a JVC Spiral Dot addict as far as tips go, but when I fail to get a decent seal or grip I find the Mandarine Tips to work well. Esp with the Dorado/vega/lyra ii

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #3,997 of 5,394
An endgame DAP with endgame IEM's... I bet it's a pretty descent listen lol.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #3,999 of 5,394
negative

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4,000 of 5,394
I'm considering these as an upgrade from my FLC 8S...was also looking at the isine 20 but they don't isolate fully.
does the vega match well with the mojo? or too dark a combo?
I love details, balance, a good soundstage and great quality bass slam (I consider myself a basshead 'lite')
but not if the bass overpowers other things.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #4,001 of 5,394
I'm considering these as an upgrade from my FLC 8S...was also looking at the isine 20 but they don't isolate fully.
I love details, balance, a good soundstage and great quality bass slam (I consider myself a basshead 'lite')

Mojo and Vega aren't a dark combo per se, but the bass becomes slightly less controlled and to my ears it made the depth and soundstage a bit narrower compared to my other sources and amps such as the Asgard 2, Surface Pro, iPhone 6S and iPod Nano 3rd gen

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #4,002 of 5,394

If that's the case then prepare to fall in love.

And if anyone else with the Vega wants to hear a song that showcases its prowess with the bass (Though I can guarantee the audio quality from the youtube video doesn't do it justice), Ibeyi's "River" is one of the best IMO:

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #4,003 of 5,394

If you're sticking with the Mojo, I'd also stick with the FLC8s over the Vega. It's not so much that either the Vega or Mojo, or even the combination of, is dark, it's that they both tend towards sounding full or thick. For me, it gets overbearing even with not particularly bass heavy music. The Mojo also has a smoothness in the treble that I don't think suits the Vega, while again I wouldn't consider it dark, I do think it naturally shifts attention to the low end that doesn't need any more. Conversely, the FLC8s tending towards sounding brighter and slightly crisper, and I would say light rather than thin, is why it pairs so darn well with the Mojo.

Even with a (what I think is) more suitable source (eg DX200), while the Vega is certainly capable of better detail retrieval and slightly increased sound-stage dimensions, I don't think it's a direct upgrade to the FLC8s because it's too different in presentation. Its something you'd want to demo for a while before buying, if you don't have that much cash to throw around.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,004 of 5,394
thanks...i ended up buying some
If you're sticking with the Mojo, I'd also stick with the FLC8s over the Vega. It's not so much that either the Vega or Mojo, or even the combination of, is dark, it's that they both tend towards sounding full or thick. For me, it gets overbearing even with not particularly bass heavy music. The Mojo also has a smoothness in the treble that I don't think suits the Vega, it further shifts attention to the low end that doesn't need any more. Conversely, the FLC8s tending towards sounding brighter and slightly crisper, and I would say light rather than thin, is why it pairs so darn well with the Mojo.

Even with a (what I think is) more suitable source (eg DX200), while the Vega is certainly capable of better detail retrieval and slightly increased sound-stage dimensions, I don't think it's a direct upgrade to the FLC8s because it's too different in presentation. Its something you'd want to demo for a while before buying, if you don't have that much cash to throw around.

many thanks...i ended up buying some AKt8ie mkii iems...will see how i like them against my FLC 8S (gasket is a bit wonky, have lost some filters as a result)
...since you mentioned the ibasso dx200 thought i'd ask please:
I am considering selling my mojo/ipod touch 6 'brick' for the ibasso dx200.( can get one for us665 as part of a combo deal with my AK)
..similar sound quality or quite different between the two? i often stream tidal as well have some 24/192 files.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,005 of 5,394
Honestly, from @canali 's description the Vega is a great match. But definitely worth giving a try of course, which goes without saying for any IEM at that price and especially CA IEM's that are very fine tuned.

But I will say the FLC8s isn't going to offer what the Vega does. You can't match the level of cohesion of a single driver IEM, and you can't match the level of emotional musicality that a single DD provides, especially one tuned with the hallmark synergy of CA audio and especially using the type of DD that the Vega uses. And though the flc8s is a very versatile IEM and even an endgame for some, you aren't going to get the precision of tuning of a sound signature seen in the single tuned Vega and any other CA IEM or single tuned TOTL IEM in general. A jack of all trades, a master of none.

But that being said, the versatility of the tuning of the flc8s is an advantage as much of a disadvantage that allows the flc8s to be more versatile and if you find a tuning that hits home, that's what it's all about. But if you are here looking for the Vega and describing a sound signature that is congruent with the Vega, then you most likely haven't found it out of the flc8s.

But the Vega is a bit picky with sources. And if the Mojo is not a person's cup of tea for it, that would lead Canali to have to buy a fairly high quality source to come close to the level of the Mojo or enough so to bring the magic out of the Vega. For me, using my Iphone alone or even my Macbook Air doesn't do the Vega justice and it's not worth the money in that case. With my FiiO x3ii I begin to hear the magic and it begins to become something special and you really notice a special potential in the Vegas. BUT when I rig my FiiO x3ii up to my Alo Rx, then it's surpassed the threshold of magic into something unparalleled by hybrids and pure BA IEM's and it's worth every penny IMO.

For an IEM given Canali's preferences, I couldn't recommend the Vega more, but given his situation, it's a bit tricky, especially since the Mojo is so good and what it can do for other IEM's. That's too bad, cuz a single driver DD that is TOTL is truly magical.

I would definitely agree that listening to the Vega makes me wish to avoid warm sources especially since it is already so cozily warm with the single DD (which brings warmth) and prominent bass (further warmth).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back