Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Apr 7, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #3,511 of 5,394
  Those were my thoughts too, springy, and had quite a bit more microphonics than the litz cable. Been using it a week or so, and honestly I dont know if its just me, but I dont hear any big differences in sound, or much really at all. Might be time to sell it on and just go back to the litz.

My splitter on my 2.5mm balanced Litz came apart after about 2 months.  Not really impressed with the cable quality so won't be looking to get the Ref8.   Disappointing considering ALO audio is a cable company first.

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #3,513 of 5,394
Hi guys, I'm currently using Phrophile-8s with a WM1A which is a fantastic combo but would like to try something else. I'm currently eyeing up either the Andro or Vega. I'd like to try a phone that lets you feel the music but has a big soundstage too. From what I've read you feel the music with the Vega but it's stage isn't as big as the Andro. Any recommendations please? Would a balanced cable increase the size of the stage on the Vega?  Being in the UK, it's not easy to demo anything so any help would be appreciated.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #3,518 of 5,394
So basically...Electric guitar/male vocals feel pretty far back. Using the dacportable HD. I have a chord mojo but that pairing felt like it couldn't handle the Vega's bass potential.

My own experience is limited to the Mojo and the DX200. I had the Mojo when I received the Vega and also thought it might be missing some power, though it still sounded fantastic. Then I got the DX200 DAP using the WindowsX Mod (you can find more about it in the DX200 thread if you're interested) and this is the best I've heard them. But the DX200 has double the output power in balanced mode, haven't tried that but my balanced cable arrives on Monday or Tuesday, can't wait.

Can't offer much more help on the solely dac/amp side, except some users here have paired the Mojo with the ALO CV5 with great results.

EDIT: Specifically, the bass has a much stronger yet detailed rumble, soundstage is much improved and details are improved while simultaneously bringing everything forward

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #3,519 of 5,394
Hi all,

I've got the Vega about a week ago. I drive it with Mojo and LG V20. While it sounds fantastic, I sometimes feel the treble could have been a little more extended and sparkling. I am EQing the treble in Poweramp Alpha and jRiver right now.

I guess I'm around 20 hours in with the Vega. Does the sound get better after 100 hours in terms of treble? My full-size headphone is Beyerdynamic T90, which has kind of the opposite sound signature with sparkling treble, so maybe that could be a reason for what I feel about the Vega's treble.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,520 of 5,394
So basically...Electric guitar/male vocals feel pretty far back. Using the dacportable HD. I have a chord mojo but that pairing felt like it couldn't handle the Vega's bass potential.

This may seem like blasphemy but what about a Dragonfly black?
Anyone use a Dragonfly black with Vega?

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,521 of 5,394
  Hi all,

I've got the Vega about a week ago. I drive it with Mojo and LG V20. While it sounds fantastic, I sometimes feel the treble could have been a little more extended and sparkling. I am EQing the treble in Poweramp Alpha and jRiver right now.

I guess I'm around 20 hours in with the Vega. Does the sound get better after 100 hours in terms of treble? My full-size headphone is Beyerdynamic T90, which has kind of the opposite sound signature with sparkling treble, so maybe that could be a reason for what I feel about the Vega's treble.

I use a Mojo w/ my Vegas as well.  I bought mine lightly used with maybe a few dozen hours on them already, but burn-in for me was mostly a tightening of the bass.

At Canjam yesterday I tried them both out of a Hugo 2 w/ the stock litz and balanced out of a Sony NW-WM1Z (their current flagship DAP, the gold one) with some crazy $800 cable.  

With the Hugo 2, they sound a fair bit more controlled in the upper bass/lower mids, and perhaps overall leaner and clearer.  Balanced out of the WM1Z, they were significantly more muscular.  I didn't really detect much changes around the treble AFA getting more extension/air, and I certainly wouldn't characterize them as sparkly in any setup.

I also have the Andromedas and they have good sparkle out of the Mojo, unfortunately I did not bring them with me to try them out of the higher end setups.  

Personally while I really like the Vegas on the whole, after using the them almost exclusively for 2.5 months (~4 hours/day, mostly while working as a software dev) I may be gravitating more toward the Andromedas for this reason.  The Andromedas are no slouch in the bass, it's nice and punchy and seemingly elevated at least a few dB north of neutral, it just doesn't have the physicality of the Vegas.  I like that the Vegas have that "headphone-in-an-iem" sound, it's just that that sound is along the lines of an LCD-2.  

Disclaimer: talking in real broad strokes here - had a similar reaction at a CanJam a few years back when I compared my custom Roxannes to demo JH-13s/K10s, so YMMV.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,522 of 5,394

Time to do some serious head to head listening to see which one comes out victorious (in my ears anyway). I've had tougher days. :wink:

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,523 of 5,394
Yes I can say first hand the WM1Z gives the Vega even more grunt and authority. It sounds incredibly powerful in the bass and mids with a warmth in the highs. It sounds slightly lighter and cleaner straight into my v20.

I like the authority and impact but sometimes it sounds too crowded and thick.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3,524 of 5,394
  Hi all,

I assume you are using the foam tip, right? 
If yes, you should use silicone tip instead. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back