Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Apr 4, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,496 of 5,394
Got some Comply T-400`s in small size and my love for the Vega has been renewed haha. I was using the stock Medium foam included by Campfire for the past couple months which was great too but I suppose small is the perfect size for me... Everything just sounds that much better. I was only using the mediums because the stock smalls had gotten ripped up.

These foam tips sure don't last very long but they sound damn good. I'm gonna be very careful with them this time around and hopefully they last a while.

Vega bass just sounds so awesome when you have a perfect seal. Love it.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #3,498 of 5,394
Thx for the feedback, looks like I'll stick with the Campfire foams for now. My sole issue with them is the need to keep replacing them, otherwise they're great. Been trying the Spinfits but they make the bass a bit too bloated. Maybe one day I'll go nuts and order 300 foam tips.

Hi Fuhransahis,

Same here, I preferred the Campfire foams over Comply, to buy them here in the UK we have to pay the import duty, so I looked at another option at Head-Room London recently, which are custom
made tips made by scanning the inside of your ear, like CIEM's but smaller. They are made by a company called Snugs in the UK, link below. Head-Room London was a week and a half ago and I haven't taken delivery yet, but had a good chat with the guy on the stand about how they may alter the sonic signature of my Lyra II's, he said there would be a difference, but if you handle either the Campfire or the Comply tips the core is quite soft, especially the Campfire foams, so there is a certain amount or collapsing going on every time you insert the IEM into your ear, and the foam forms a different shape depending on how deep you insert the IEM into your ear. The Snugs get over this by bing a constant shape every time you insert them. As soon as they arrive, I'll report back as to how they change my Lyra II's if this is of interest. Hope this helps.

https://snugsearphones.co.uk

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #3,499 of 5,394
Have similar stuff coming (custom tips) from Custom Art as well, so will be good to get opinions on both manufacturers. I'm also based in the UK, but the Custom Art option were only £50 so a little cheaper than Snugs if you already have ear impressions available I think.

Just took delivery of a set of Andromeda this afternoon from another HradFi'er to compare against my Vega when I get them back - going to be a fun few weeks!

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #3,500 of 5,394
Hi Fuhransahis,

Same here, I preferred the Campfire foams over Comply, to buy them here in the UK we have to pay the import duty, so I looked at another option at Head-Room London recently, which are custom
made tips made by scanning the inside of your ear, like CIEM's but smaller. They are made by a company called Snugs in the UK, link below. Head-Room London was a week and a half ago and I haven't taken delivery yet, but had a good chat with the guy on the stand about how they may alter the sonic signature of my Lyra II's, he said there would be a difference, but if you handle either the Campfire or the Comply tips the core is quite soft, especially the Campfire foams, so there is a certain amount or collapsing going on every time you insert the IEM into your ear, and the foam forms a different shape depending on how deep you insert the IEM into your ear. The Snugs get over this by bing a constant shape every time you insert them. As soon as they arrive, I'll report back as to how they change my Lyra II's if this is of interest. Hope this helps.

https://snugsearphones.co.uk

Have similar stuff coming (custom tips) from Custom Art as well, so will be good to get opinions on both manufacturers. I'm also based in the UK, but the Custom Art option were only £50 so a little cheaper than Snugs if you already have ear impressions available I think.

Just took delivery of a set of Andromeda this afternoon from another HradFi'er to compare against my Vega when I get them back - going to be a fun few weeks!

Custom tips are my last (but hopefully best) solution, and I've been waiting to hear feedback from those who've ordered them before going ahead with it, esp since Snugs and Custom Art are the two options I'm considering. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when they arrive! Any pictures would be great too if possible, I'm curious as to how they might look.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #3,501 of 5,394
Custom tips are my last (but hopefully best) solution, and I've been waiting to hear feedback from those who've ordered them before going ahead with it, esp since Snugs and Custom Art are the two options I'm considering. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when they arrive! Any pictures would be great too if possible, I'm curious as to how they might look.

Really looking forward to your impressions, and how the frequency range is effected. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,503 of 5,394

I have impressions on the way to Piotr at Custom Art now. I finally decided to order custom tips for a pair of incoming Lyra II's. I looked for information from others on custom tips but couldn't find too much, so went ahead and just took the plunge. I've always been curious and I have not had the best luck getting good fit with conventional tips - I've tried singe, double, and triple flanged silicone, comply and other foam tips, spin tips (which seem to really bring out bass). So I'm hoping a custom tip will be comfortable and seal well.

I'll post when they get here in a few weeks...

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #3,504 of 5,394
alo reference 8 (299 usd) sounds exactly the same as ibasso cb12 (89 usd) in my opinion

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3,506 of 5,394
I wonder how the work is going on the Campfire full size headphones. If they sound anything like the Vega I need them now!

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #3,507 of 5,394
That ref8 i bought and returned after a day. It's springy, i don't like it.

Those were my thoughts too, springy, and had quite a bit more microphonics than the litz cable. Been using it a week or so, and honestly I dont know if its just me, but I dont hear any big differences in sound, or much really at all. Might be time to sell it on and just go back to the litz.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #3,508 of 5,394
  Those were my thoughts too, springy, and had quite a bit more microphonics than the litz cable. Been using it a week or so, and honestly I dont know if its just me, but I dont hear any big differences in sound, or much really at all. Might be time to sell it on and just go back to the litz.

IMO the sonic benefits aren't significant enough to overcome the poor ergonomics.

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #3,510 of 5,394
My OC UE X cable will arrive soon, hope it matches with Vega

Users who are viewing this thread

Back