Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 3, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,636 of 5,394
I don't know much about the Cayin C5 as I have only heard it briefly at a local meet-up. I also got to listing to a protype Cavalli Spark at that same meet and preferred the Cavalli. It may not have been a fair comparison because I spent a lot more time with the Cavalli than the Cayin C5.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,638 of 5,394
For the vega owners who enjoy hip hop. Plug your vega into a source your happy with, play a song called... used to this - future feat drake. I really enjoy this song, I've read so much about the vega bass I would like some impression of the vega with this track. Theres passages of non vocal and just sub bass, it sounds awesome through my set up (non vega)

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #1,639 of 5,394
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a pair of IEMs, but like many other people it seems, I am torn between Vega and Andromeda. My previous IEMs have been Sennheiser IE80, UE TF10 and some other lower tier IEMs, so my experience with TOTL IEM is zero. I understand that both Vega and Andromeda are amazing in their own special ways - I am trying to figure out which would suit me more.

I listen to mostly singer/songwriter stuff, rock, pop, RnB. I don't listen to instrumental regularly. For reference I have Beyerdynamic T90 whose treble I love, but EQ it for more Bass. For regular use, is Vega the better choice for me? I get that Andro's treble and soundstage are among the best and Vega has better vocal and bass. How are Vega's treble and soundstage compared to other TOTL IEMs like K10u and JH Audio Layla/Angie?

I know it must have been discussed before, but the more I read the threads - the more confused I get :) Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to audition them where I live.

Please help me decide.

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,640 of 5,394
  Hi guys,

Like many other people it seems, I am torn between Vega and Andromeda. My previous IEMs have been Sennheiser IE80, UE TF10 and some other lower tier IEMs, so my experience with TOTL IEM is zero. I understand that both Vega and Andromeda are amazing in their own special ways - I am trying to figure out which would suit me more.

I listen to mostly singer/songwriter stuff, rock, pop, RnB. I don't listen to instrumental regularly. For reference I have Beyerdynamic T90 whose treble I love, but EQ it for more Bass. For regular use, is Vega the better choice for me? I get that Andro has better treble and soundstage and Vega has better vocal and bass. How is Vega's treble and soundstage compared to other TOTL IEMs like K10u and JH Audio Layla/Angie?

I know it must have been discussed before, but the more I read the threads - the more confused I get :) Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to audition them where I live.

Please help me decide.

Thanks.

I thought that the Vega soundstage was pretty small. If you love bass, the Andro's bass just doesn't cut it. It's way too thin. I was only able to listen to Vega and Andro one after the other. The Vega presented bass with full aplomb like a gangsta tryna show off. It felt Andro was holding back like it was afraid to present bass.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #1,641 of 5,394
  I thought that the Vega soundstage was pretty small. If you love bass, the Andro's bass just doesn't cut it. It's way too thin. I was only able to listen to Vega and Andro one after the other. The Vega presented bass with full aplomb like a gangsta tryna show off. It felt Andro was holding back like it was afraid to present bass.

I wouldn't say that the Vega soundstage is small by any means. I come from the U12 that are rated as having a wide soundstage, and I don't feel at loss soundstage wise with the Vega. Granted there is less "air" and the soundstage is narrower but it's not narrow IMHO. I would argue the soundstage presentation is different though.

I think sounstage is more complex than just how deep, tall, wide (x,y,z axis) it is rendered. To me imaging, separation, depth, attack, decay affect the perception of soundstage. It's often said that treble affect how airy and IEM is and affect soundstage, usually the case but U12 is an example of big soundstage with tamed treble.

Anyway, one thing I have noticed compared to say U12 is that soundstage is more dependent on tracks with the Vega. It can range from intimate (but never congested) to pretty wide (close to U12). I would say it's overall more "natural". Also keep in mind it's quite source dependent with the Vega. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #1,642 of 5,394
I wouldn't say that the Vega soundstage is small by any means. I come from the U12 that are rated as having a wide soundstage, and I don't feel at loss soundstage wise with the Vega. Granted there is less "air" and the soundstage is narrower but it's not narrow IMHO. I would argue the soundstage presentation is different though.

I think sounstage is more complex than just how deep, tall, wide (x,y,z axis) it is rendered. To me imaging, separation, depth, attack, decay affect the perception of soundstage. It's often said that treble affect how airy and IEM is and affect soundstage, usually the case but U12 is an example of big soundstage with tamed treble.

Anyway, one thing I have noticed compared to say U12 is that soundstage is more dependent on tracks with the Vega. It can range from intimate (but never congested) to pretty wide (close to U12). I would say it's overall more "natural". Also keep in mind it's quite source dependent with the Vega. 

Not heard the Andromeda or the U-series, but just to comment on the relative stage size of the Vega, I think nstural is a good way to describe the way it sounds. It generates a feeling in my head of a whole band playing together, in a believable space which extends outside my ears to various degrees depending on what recording I am listening to. It doesn't push the sounds out artificially, but provides a "solid" depiction of the music in my head. Not sure I am describing it perfectly, but there is a cohesion that comes with the Vega that allows the instrumentation to still be very well separated but come together on the soundstage.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,643 of 5,394
I am new to this hobby so I don't know a lot but Vega soundstage definitely felt lacking compared to U12

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #1,644 of 5,394
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a pair of IEMs, but like many other people it seems, I am torn between Vega and Andromeda. My previous IEMs have been Sennheiser IE80, UE TF10 and some other lower tier IEMs, so my experience with TOTL IEM is zero. I understand that both Vega and Andromeda are amazing in their own special ways - I am trying to figure out which would suit me more.

I listen to mostly singer/songwriter stuff, rock, pop, RnB. I don't listen to instrumental regularly. For reference I have Beyerdynamic T90 whose treble I love, but EQ it for more Bass. For regular use, is Vega the better choice for me? I get that Andro's treble and soundstage are among the best and Vega has better vocal and bass. How are Vega's treble and soundstage compared to other TOTL IEMs like K10u and JH Audio Layla/Angie?

Please help me decide.

Thanks.

I was introduced to andro 1st before vega. I was using earsonic sm64 v2 past 3.5yrs and bought afew popular and value for money china made BA phones. Before that was DBA02, been a BA fan back then.

been auditing iem past 3 yrs but none cld justify the upgrade until i heard Andro and Vega.

If u're looking at treble and soundstage, maybe Andro is for u. Reason why i chose Vega over Andro, is the capability of a Dynamic over BA on the natural energy and 'life' of the vocal. Its closest to my current speakers setup. Imho BA has difficulties portraying dynamics and emotions of a song ( vocals and violin).

I've heard some TOTL including Layla, ie800 and w80 b4 i got Vega, maybe its just me, they are different league. But this just based on my music preferences.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,645 of 5,394
I am new to this hobby so I don't know a lot but Vega soundstage definitely felt lacking compared to U12

Yes the Vega may not have as big a sound stage as the Andro or the U12 but it certainly does not feel lacking when you hear the Vega like Davidmolliere pointed out. Previously I used an analogy of watching a magic show in Vegas and you are so captivated by the magician that you certainly will not be concern about how large the stage is. But let me use another analogy to make the point about soundstage and Vega, let say you are driving a Ferari or a Porsche Turbo and speeding away winding through corners and turns, will you be concern about how tight the driver seat is? I think not. You would be so immersed in the fun and that is exactly what listening to the Vega is like.

Sometimes in describing sound qualities when we use comparative languages they can be misleading. For instance, we frequently read on this thread that the Vega's soundstage is lacking or small when compare to Andro. This is like saying somebody is poor when compare to Bill Gate or Warren Buffet. But just because you are not as wealthy as Bill Gate does that make anyone poor? Not necessary, right? Even if you are only half as wealthy as Bill, you will not need to make this decision of which one to buy, you probably can own the whole campfire. The Vega certainly does not feel narrow.

Sometimes we need to watch out for this kind of dichotomy inferences. Another point about the comparison between the Andro and the Vega is that the Vega is not as airy as the Andro. While in general it may be true but the Vega is definitely not lacking in airiness. I was listening to the 1821 Overture and in the end when the cannon start exploding, that is when you can really sense the dimension of the space. The explosions can fill up your entire auditory space in three dimension limiting only by the capability of you amp. You can also feel the concussive wave of the explosion in the form of airiness. Or when you listen to a vocalist, you can hear the air in her lung coming out or when you hear a piano piece you can hear the harmonics in the air. These are instances of the capability of the Vega, not a easy feast for any iems to accomplish. The Vega can give you air and space if it is created in the recordings.

Rizzvibe made some good points also.

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,646 of 5,394
Another reason I felt that the Vega has a small soundstage is because I have been only using IEMs with massive soundstages so far. 
JVC FX-850(semi open) --> Vega --> U12. So naturally I felt that the Vega was lacking in this area. So this was all a personal error/taste/preferance thing.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,647 of 5,394
@Seamon, I don't mean to say you're wrong, I was just trying to say when it comes to soundstage, it is not the bigger the better. Soundstage needs to commensurate naturally with real life. For instance, the Sennheiser HD 800 headphone (which I have) has the biggest soundstage and many people think that it is so big that it becomes unnatural or artificial and do not like it. Or if you are listening to music recorded in an intimate jazz club or 80 percent of the recordings are recorded in small recording studio, they shouldn't have a Hugh soundstage as it is not in real life. Of course, in the case of classical music where it is usually happened in a concert hall, sound stage should reflect that space. In addition, soundstage and airiness frequently get put together as though they are one of the same. But you don't have to have a big soundstage to have airiness. Airiness is one of the nuiancss created by the iems when it is capable of high resolution and it can happen with small soundstage. To me soundstage is a natural result of a phone's capability to reflect all minute nuiancs in the mastering and recording process such that it creates an exact image of the recording setting whether it'll be large or small. To me, a highly resolved phone that can produce high level of sound imaging is more important than soundstage. I think the Vega meets that criteria.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,649 of 5,394
Eglobal uk has vega for £1179... damn, so tempted to kiss my bank valance good bye...

Save your money, eglobal is known to do gray imports, you will end up with no warranty and might face customs and other import charges, the products are usually sent from
Hong Kong. It's always better to stick with official dealers.
Eglobalcentral is even listed by Astell&Kern as an unauthorised seller!

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,650 of 5,394
Save your money, eglobal is known to do gray imports, you will end up with no warranty and might face customs and other import charges, the products are usually sent from
Hong Kong. It's always better to stick with official dealers.
Eglobalcentral is even listed by Astell&Kern as an unauthorised seller!
oh ok, their website q+a seems fair enough, never mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back