Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,531 of 5,394
one good thing about the Vega powerful bass is its does not make the sound overly warm and still sparkle very well at the top consider that massive amount of mid bass. There are other IEM like the ASG 2.5, JVC FX850 etc... that produce similar qty but they are too warm, the mid bass musk up the treble. TG334 is another one that is too dull for my taste... further the Vega bass has huge impact and hit with great authority..
Agreed, hence the better stock cable used.The teo you mentioned will improve with a better cable.

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,532 of 5,394
  There's a lot of talk about the awesome bass the Vegas have but does it ever become too much? For instance, I listen to a lot of EDM, should I worry about my ears feeling like mashed potatoes after a while?

​To be honest, my ear was like a mash potato in the first 30 sec straight from the cold FEDEX box... like a cannon shooting out of control.. imy brain need some adjustment  LOL.. but its ok now.. Its really good for EDM, good bass good treble good vocal.. or in simple terms, push up that bass, treble and vocal switch all at once in your EQ..  u get VEGA!! .. No U or V shape.. just blended nicely

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #1,537 of 5,394
I appreciate everyone's impressions, How different do they sound compared to the shure 535s? Does anyone have any experience with both?
throw 535 into the trash.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #1,538 of 5,394
I tried the ortofon (with ref 8 sorry). Less bass, slower bass, vocals more forward, bit of sparkle in the treble.
I will stick to jvc spiral dots methinks

Doesn't match what I am hearing, I don't have the Ref8 though.
But when it comes to tips, synergy with morphology is the key too (and I have big ear canals...)
I have better bass and smoother treble with the Ortofon.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,540 of 5,394
   How so?

The Vega sound so much fuller with the Mojo, with better depth and texture, and also smoother.
The mids are much better with the Mojo, the DP-X1 sound almost U shaped compared to it. 
Bass have more density with the Mojo and treble are smoother.

I know the DP-X1 is supposed to be north of neutral but I'd say the DP-X1 is too "sharp" with the Vega... it has great separation and detail but what didn't bother me (on the contrary) with the U12 does bother me with the Vega. All this is balanced out of the DP-X1.

The Vega have such great transparency and clarity I think I would lend towards a more musical and warmer source. 
Probably comes down to taste and I like warm signatures. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #1,541 of 5,394

The Vega sound so much fuller with the Mojo, with better depth and texture, and also smoother.
The mids are much better with the Mojo, the DP-X1 sound almost U shaped compared to it. 
Bass have more density with the Mojo and treble are smoother.

I know the DP-X1 is supposed to be north of neutral but I'd say the DP-X1 is too "sharp" with the Vega... it has great separation and detail but what didn't bother me (on the contrary) with the U12 does bother me with the Vega. All this is balanced out of the DP-X1.

The Vega have such great transparency and clarity I think I would lend towards a more musical and warmer source. 
Probably comes down to taste and I like warm signatures. 

Interesting!!

I actually got all of the "ingredients", but so far I've only listened to the DP-X1 and the Vegas. And today I added the CV5 (and ref 8) to the mix: the results were astounding. Need to try DP-X1/mojo/Vegas and DP-X1/mojo/CV5/ref 8/Vegas

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #1,542 of 5,394
  Interesting!!

I actually got all of the "ingredients", but so far I've only listened to the DP-X1 and the Vegas. And today I added the CV5 (and ref 8) to the mix: the results were astounding. Need to try DP-X1/mojo/Vegas and DP-X1/mojo/CV5/ref 8/Vegas

What's your take is on the DP-X1 with Vega?

I am very interrested by the Continental v5, looking forward to further impressions with Vegas I never jumped on the CDM mainly because of price v5 is a compelling offer :)

Edit :
I just got myself a WM1-A, the poscap need to burn in (I remember the path with the ZX2) but out of the box it's just a different league altogether from DP-X1 and different tuning too. Dynamics and in particular micro dynamics are so subtle it's really striking. Bass is more extended and textured, mids are way fuller (vocals are... dreamy) and highs are extended but pleasing and smooth. I need to spend time with that pair :) This combo will be hard to put down!

Oh my the Vega do sing beautifully I have been hypnotized for 2 hours now :D

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,543 of 5,394
  I appreciate everyone's impressions, How different do they sound compared to the shure 535s? Does anyone have any experience with both?

throw 535 into the trash.

​LOL.. I have both but I seldom listen to SE535 for a long time. Tonality wise, They are completely different.

My quick take on SE535 vs Vega..

SE535 treble is too dull and does not have the extension and sparkle. The vocal is nice and warm and Vega is more intimate and very life like, there simply not enough clarity & resolution in the vocal to match Vega and I mean by a lot and not subtle. The bass on SE535 is miles away from Vega. SE846 has a lot more bass than SE535 and then Vega has even more bass presence than SE846 and SE535 combine. Its not only the sub bass which the SE846 is good at, it also has about the same qty of mid bass to match it... Vega would almost have the complete full spectrum of bass and you will hear everything very clearly. Cello tone is hard to grasp with even SE846 when its playing fast, the Vega would be able to handle it in full glory and each tone is very obvious as it has the mid bass qty and speed to deliver it.

Soundstage on both SE535 and SE846 is narrow and not wide enough, the Vega is way wider and deeper than SE535. The Vega's instrument separation is very well define and you can feel the space in between while SE535 morph them together. 

Ok enough trees now the forest..

if you like SE535 warm signature and would like to bring it to another level with stronger bass, more vocal resolution, wider and taller soundtstage and without having too much treble at the top to maintain its musicality .. the TG334 is the ultimate SE535 upgrade without too much brain burning, I know you would say why not the SE846, well.. the SE846 bass and vocal is simply no match for the TG334's bass and romantic vocal with taller and wider soundstage... but TG334 is way darker than SE846. TG334 is like having the black filter on SE846.

That being said, if you want something with more clarity on instrument, to hear Norah Jones breath between each note and want to feel the bass pumping air into your ear all at the same time.. Go for the Vega.. Simple terms... the Vega has the treble clarity to match its powerful bass blending it nicely. Bass is as powerful as TG334 with better speed and sub-bass goes deeper.

Well.. if you like something with even more clarity, wider soundstage than the Vega but with way less bass but still way more than SE535.. The Andormeda.. Its really preference here but SE535 is really a pretty low resolution phone and not in the same league as these phones above. If SE846 is in division 1, the SE535 is in division 3 and Vega and Andro is in the premium league... at the very top.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,544 of 5,394
I might actually come back to the Vega after trying out a few other TOTL IEMs. Also, I think that the Mojo is a decent match for the Vega. Imo, Mojo doesn't have enough power to fully reveal the pushing air sensation of the Vega bass. I found that sensation lacking in the Mojo. It was fully present with my much cheaper ZxR sound card. Meanwhile the other areas were meh with ZxR and stellar with the Mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back