Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Oct 30, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #721 of 5,394
Are you basing your opinion on actually listening to the Vega, or just on others impressions that you've read? 
heard it of course. I even switched tips with it but best is with the foam,however, failed to impress me. Ofc this is subjective as I would still think the Andromeda is better than the Vega for the campfire line up.

These things are all subjective, I could not stand the kaede. Yes perhaps it's Wide but it's an open IRM so it better. It is not so simple as to just compare open and closed IEMs. With the kaede, there is a disappointing lack of bass slam and impact, highs are very sibilant, and tonally it's just not acurate, it's lean. The Zeus in my opinion just sounds terrible, tonally it is so off that I can't gear all that detail and soundstage people seem to hear. If they went for the price of the EarPods, I would get the EarPods.

I could go on, but there's not much point,what I'm saying is it's all subjective :)
yea its all subjective. Im surprised Zeus is bad for u

Oct 30, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #722 of 5,394
The Vega is growing on me.

I can see why Ken has a new soft spot for his latest creation.

As usual I am in the wait and avoid the hype train stampede of 'I heard it in a shop for five minutes routine....'

I started with the Andromeda today and then switched to the Vega....and as the Andromeda was
a step up from the previous champion The Jupiter I am beginning to think the same of the Vega (as unseating the Andromeda...perhaps).

Heading home now to do some serious A/B-ing with foam then silicone tips using the Litz cable and see If I can't offer some solid thoughts on these two.

DD vs BA.

3fe54a61069213d5d0407fb5a8f20ae6.jpg

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #723 of 5,394
Can anyone do a comparison between the Vega and the Tralucent Plus 5?

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #724 of 5,394
Listening to the "Undertale" covers by RichaadEB. Man, the Vega is addictive. I might actually become converted back into a DD lover. I'm programming and studying my hands can't help but air guitar all the tabs. WHY ARE THESE SO ADDICTIVE!

I'm using Comply tips currently. I'll go back to stock after I burn the sound into my brain.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #725 of 5,394

A purist would tell you to upgrade to lossless FLACs like, immediately.

A realist would listen to both lossy and lossless and decide for himself whether there are any audible differences.

Take the test here http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

There is absolutely no shame in not being able to differentiate lossy and lossless. In fact you save a whole lot from buying Hi-Res tracks. The mastering quality of the record is more important IMHO. One of my all-time favorite albums has awful mastering quality (even in the remastered version!) and I could not in any way enjoy it with high-end gear. Link here http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/10/oasis-whats-the-story-with-the-brickwalling-glory/

Using Ibasso IT03 with Creative ZXR (these are definitely NOT considered TOTL) and I can tell the difference between all 3 types of files. 128kpbs has the least air, and vocal naunces are largely removed. On Jay Z tom ford track, sound separation also gets muffled abit. 320kpbs, while retaining all the details, sounds the most flat, and bass quantity is actually the least, even compared to 128kpbs. 

I would like users here to test the difference with the Vega, because on my dymanic IEMs and headphones, I have more difficulties in differentiating them.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #726 of 5,394
I just came back from a 5 day trip, and I brought a few IEMs and sources with me. I brought the Andromeda, Katana, Vega, and InEarSD4. I could not take the Vega out of my ear, and did not listen to any other IEM (besides the SD4 which I only listened to for a short period). The Vega sounded amazing with every source I brought (Paw Gold, AK380cu, AK70, Plenue S, and Opus 2). I really don't want to add to a hype train, but these really are a special IEM. Ever since they were delivered, I really have not been listening to other IEMs in my collection. I briefly switched to the Katana this morning, and made it less than 20 minutes before switching back to the Vega. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #727 of 5,394
Can anyone do a comparison between the Vega and the Tralucent Plus 5?

Plus 5 has thicker mids, overall bass impact is about the same. One caveat, I heavily eq. I do use the same eq settings for both though. I prefer the Plus 5, but that's due to my sonic preferences. Both are extremely capable iems. I could be happy with either.

Treble extension I think they are about the same. Overall air, Vega. Price Vega. Stock cable, Tralucent. Plus 5 is much easier to drive. On my P1, Plus 5 is about ten steps lower for same or similar volume.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #729 of 5,394
Nice. Looking forward to your impressions bro. I'm getting the Dorado on loaner too in the upcoming weeks. Can't wait to hear it. Seems like it's in between the Vegas and Andromedas from the graphs I've seen.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #730 of 5,394
Curious to ask, have any current Lyra users tried the Lyra II? If so, is Lyra II's SQ a huge step up or just a subtle improvement? Thanks!

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #732 of 5,394
So I assume you own the Vega as well? Is the Vega THAT much better than the Lyra 2?

Yes I do for a week, well as always the law of diminishing returns will kick in at some point. I do love the sound of the Vega v much, and actually quite happy to find the Lyra 2 to be initially quite comparable to the Vega, but ofcourse too early to draw conclusions.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #733 of 5,394
Nice. Looking forward to your impressions bro. I'm getting the Dorado on loaner too in the upcoming weeks. Can't wait to hear it. Seems like it's in between the Vegas and Andromedas from the graphs I've seen.

What are you expecting from the Dorado? A larger soundstage and more bass, perhaps? I think we have similar taste in earphones so I'm interested to see how it pans out :)

btw, is the Vega at all comparable to the ASG 2.5? I'm only asking as jmills had the impression that they were similar in some regard...I just don't want to buy something that is too close to what I already have- especially in the TOTL price tier, lol.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #734 of 5,394
Yes I do for a week, well as always the law of diminishing returns will kick in at some point. I do love the sound of the Vega v much, and actually quite happy to find the Lyra 2 to be initially quite comparable to the Vega, but ofcourse too early to draw conclusions.

That's nice to know. Seems to me like the prices don't really reflect MAJOR upgrades in sound. Anyway, can't wait to hear your impressions from comparing the two. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #735 of 5,394
They are similar in some ways. Bass is more on the asg. Vegas are tighter and faster. More open, better treble extension as well. That's going from memory, I really have to ab them.

As far as the Dorado, not sure what to expect really. I just love hybrids, when done right. I know the bass will be more from the Vegas, at least from what I looked at in the graphs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back