Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #5,056 of 5,394
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #5,057 of 5,394
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #5,060 of 5,394
c1L6CWx.jpg

Hey Guys,

My brother needed a new set of IEM’s so I gave him my Noble 3’s, which left me with no closed back IEM’s. I wasn’t sure what to do, as I have my LCDi4’s (which I love.) However, as I said in my recent mini review of them, they are a bit useless for on the plane, subway, bus etc… Anywhere you need isolation, the LCDi4 are a bit of a flop. I headed over to my local headphone shop, which happens to stock Campfire Audio. I had tried the Andromeda before as everyone raves about it, and I enjoyed it, but knew it wasn’t for me. I thought about the Orion being a possibility, but really didn’t know what to expect from the rest of the CA lineup. I knew I wanted a replacement for my Noble 3’s for a travelling/bus/everyday IEM, but wasn’t sure which would be the best fit for my needs.

With the release of the new Atlas IEM’s, the Vega were on sale. I can’t remember if I have tried the Vega before, if I have, it was a short audition that I’ve forgotten. I wasn’t really expecting to be that stoked on them given what I have read here and also the fact that I hadn’t loved the Andromeda, an IEM that everyone else loves so much.

I really, really enjoyed the Vega. I suppose the Andromeda is more of an “audiophile” tuning and maybe that isn’t fully my thing? I’m not sure, but I prefer the Vega. I enjoyed them so much I ended up purchasing them. Regardless of price, I prefer the Vega to the Andromeda. Some of the reviews I have read say it has a “fun” tuning, which is perhaps more my thing? I’m not too concerned with how something measures, or if it is “accurate” or whatever. I just follow my ears and see where I end up.

The Vega is a bass heavy IEM, there is no denying that. The mids are pretty good (maybe a bit uneven?), and the upper Treble is boosted a bit to give it some sparkle, I think. I can totally see how someone might prefer the Andromeda over the Vega. To me it seemed to be a bit more of a neutral tuning, less bass than the Vega for sure. I know that when I will be using these IEM’s, I’m not doing critical listening, I’m just enjoying some tunes. The Vega are perfect for that, especially with the kinds of music I listen to.

Compared to the LCDi4 the Vega lack the open airy sound, which makes sense. They also have a smaller soundstage, less impressive technicalities, and don’t sound as “big.” I reckon this is all fine and makes sense given the design differences. However, if I’m on a plane for example, I won’t feel like I am missing out too much listening to the Vegas. They just offer a different presentation of the music, and it is one I find really enjoyable.

At the end of the day, the Vega is a bassy, kinda V shaped IEM with a bit of treble sparkle. I can understand someone disliking these. I definitely understand someone preferring the Andromeda. However, the Vega just work for me and my ears, which at the end of the day, is all that really matters I suppose. I wasn’t expecting to spend as much as I did on a pair of closed IEM’s. I just enjoyed the Vega enough to give them a go.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #5,061 of 5,394
c1L6CWx.jpg

Hey Guys,

My brother needed a new set of IEM’s so I gave him my Noble 3’s, which left me with no closed back IEM’s. I wasn’t sure what to do, as I have my LCDi4’s (which I love.) However, as I said in my recent mini review of them, they are a bit useless for on the plane, subway, bus etc… Anywhere you need isolation, the LCDi4 are a bit of a flop. I headed over to my local headphone shop, which happens to stock Campfire Audio. I had tried the Andromeda before as everyone raves about it, and I enjoyed it, but knew it wasn’t for me. I thought about the Orion being a possibility, but really didn’t know what to expect from the rest of the CA lineup. I knew I wanted a replacement for my Noble 3’s for a travelling/bus/everyday IEM, but wasn’t sure which would be the best fit for my needs.

With the release of the new Atlas IEM’s, the Vega were on sale. I can’t remember if I have tried the Vega before, if I have, it was a short audition that I’ve forgotten. I wasn’t really expecting to be that stoked on them given what I have read here and also the fact that I hadn’t loved the Andromeda, an IEM that everyone else loves so much.

I really, really enjoyed the Vega. I suppose the Andromeda is more of an “audiophile” tuning and maybe that isn’t fully my thing? I’m not sure, but I prefer the Vega. I enjoyed them so much I ended up purchasing them. Regardless of price, I prefer the Vega to the Andromeda. Some of the reviews I have read say it has a “fun” tuning, which is perhaps more my thing? I’m not too concerned with how something measures, or if it is “accurate” or whatever. I just follow my ears and see where I end up.

The Vega is a bass heavy IEM, there is no denying that. The mids are pretty good (maybe a bit uneven?), and the upper Treble is boosted a bit to give it some sparkle, I think. I can totally see how someone might prefer the Andromeda over the Vega. To me it seemed to be a bit more of a neutral tuning, less bass than the Vega for sure. I know that when I will be using these IEM’s, I’m not doing critical listening, I’m just enjoying some tunes. The Vega are perfect for that, especially with the kinds of music I listen to.

Compared to the LCDi4 the Vega lack the open airy sound, which makes sense. They also have a smaller soundstage, less impressive technicalities, and don’t sound as “big.” I reckon this is all fine and makes sense given the design differences. However, if I’m on a plane for example, I won’t feel like I am missing out too much listening to the Vegas. They just offer a different presentation of the music, and it is one I find really enjoyable.

At the end of the day, the Vega is a bassy, kinda V shaped IEM with a bit of treble sparkle. I can understand someone disliking these. I definitely understand someone preferring the Andromeda. However, the Vega just work for me and my ears, which at the end of the day, is all that really matters I suppose. I wasn’t expecting to spend as much as I did on a pair of closed IEM’s. I just enjoyed the Vega enough to give them a go.
Great pickup! Especially on sale! I don’t have an audio store near me so I’m curious as to how much the Vegas can be had for since the recent flagship in the atlas.
Any other CA iems you tried while you were there besides Orion’s and Andros?
Curious how the single BA ORIONS at $350 compare to the $199 new single BA comets

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #5,062 of 5,394
Great pickup! Especially on sale! I don’t have an audio store near me so I’m curious as to how much the Vegas can be had for since the recent flagship in the atlas.
Any other CA iems you tried while you were there besides Orion’s and Andros?
Curious how the single BA ORIONS at $350 compare to the $199 new single BA comets

I don't want to say how much specifically, but they were on sale, plus they were the Demo pair. It was a good enough deal to help me make my decision to purchase them. I have a really good relationship with my dealer, so that helps too.

I didn't try any other IEM's today. Honestly, I find the whole range a bit confusing, so I just kept it focused on the two I was most interested in. Perhaps this wasn't the best idea, as I might have preferred the Dorado or Lyra etc...At the end of the day, I'm happy with my choice though :)

The new comets are interesting, and I've read really mixed reviews of them so far, so I don't know what to think really. The new Atlas is interesting as well, but the shop didn't have them in stock yet.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #5,063 of 5,394
I don't want to say how much specifically, but they were on sale, plus they were the Demo pair. It was a good enough deal to help me make my decision to purchase them. I have a really good relationship with my dealer, so that helps too.

I didn't try any other IEM's today. Honestly, I find the whole range a bit confusing, so I just kept it focused on the two I was most interested in. Perhaps this wasn't the best idea, as I might have preferred the Dorado or Lyra etc...At the end of the day, I'm happy with my choice though :)

The new comets are interesting, and I've read really mixed reviews of them so far, so I don't know what to think really. The new Atlas is interesting as well, but the shop didn't have them in stock yet.

Sounds like we got the last 2 Vegas in Vancouver ; )

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #5,064 of 5,394
I am so torn right now. The Vegas sound fantastic with stuff like Lorde/Kendrick/Taylor Swift and the Andromedas sound amazing with stuff like Carseat Headrest... I need to pick one and I don't know what to do!

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #5,065 of 5,394
I am so torn right now. The Vegas sound fantastic with stuff like Lorde/Kendrick/Taylor Swift and the Andromedas sound amazing with stuff like Carseat Headrest... I need to pick one and I don't know what to do!
Once I heard Andromeda, after having Vega for 9 months, I decided that I must save up for that one, too. They both just sound too unique and interesting to not have.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #5,067 of 5,394
Get the Comet with Andromeda too! Comet is like a little Andromeda to my ears and can easily withstand the rigor of daily use:

IMG_0909.jpg

Apr 11, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #5,070 of 5,394
Got it. Noted! ‘Upgrade my dad!’

:)
Ha! Damned phone.

I suppose dad could use an upgrade. Not much of a decent person. Though, I'd rather have a better DAP than a better dad, whom I've had mo contact for two decades. ZX300 has my name written all over it. I'm also curious about the ALO SXC 8 balanced cable. Would be fun to hear the Gold, for poops and giggles. Would love to see if I could hear a difference with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back