Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
May 23, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #3,796 of 5,394
I find the Vega which has the same shell as Lyra easy to fit. I stick with the stock foam (medium tips) though since the other tips barely fits me.

I've settled on the medium size silicon tips that came with the OEM in-ears that came with my Galaxy S3. I crap you not, I have tried some forty different pairs of tips. Praying these "comfort" Complys do the trick.

May 23, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #3,797 of 5,394
Which IEM has warmer mids and more, lushness and maybe brassy sound to cymbals instead of steel sound? It's difficult to describe sound signatures, isn't it??

When I get in a car where I can adjust the radio, I typically put the audio back to flat and then up the bass and mids by 1.
I don't own the Vega but had a chance to listen to it at Axpona 2017 (albeit in a somewhat noisy environment). To my ears, the Vega still had a slightly relaxed signature (not as relaxed as the Lyra II) but had more bass and more of a forward sounding midrange and top end than the Lyra II. For longer listening sessions the Lyra II might be preferable as it is the more relaxed of the two. But the Vega is a great IEM as well just not as relaxed sounding. Kudos to Ken Ball & Co. who in a short period of time have really produced some fantastic IEMS.

May 24, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #3,798 of 5,394
So, both my Fidue A83 and Ibasso CB12 came in today. As I'm tired as hell, I'll keep my first impressions brief.

A83: Sounds like a balanced version of the stock cable. If you can live with memory wire, it's an amazing deal. But I have enough fit issues with the Lyra as is, thanks.
CB12: Aside from the tremendous sound, which needs more/better critical listening than I can manage right now, it is one of the most pliable, agreeable IEM cables I've come across. And it fits just fine, if very (very) snugly.

More words after more listen. Also when brain work.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #3,801 of 5,394
Yeah, sorry--Lyra II Massdrop. Not Vega. I'm sure the Vega is a jaw-dropping IEM, but I was after something softer on the top end, while still being very technically proficient.

Quick post-housework update on the CB12: 95% chance this thing is a keeper. Details, separation, etc., are all boosted as one might expect, but also adds a really nice and badly needed warmth to the M1S without making the timbre and soundstage (very) slightly off (to my ears) via the "slow" filter.

So, for anyone in this thread after a balanced cable without the poorhouse woes, it looks like a winner so far, and head and shoulders and then some above the other sub-$100 cables I've tried.

Also, just for the record: I hate that after years of scoffing at MUH CABLES, I'm now forced to admit that cables are, in fact, a thing.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #3,802 of 5,394
HELP - Removing Vega cables

I have been using my Vega with FIDUE A83 MMXC BALANCED CABLE
A week ago, I tried to remove it to go back to the stock cable for comparison. But I couldn't remove the cable, in the process I may have damaged the cable.

Now, I've connection issue and I need to replace the cable and I can't remove these F&$%ing cables.
Sorry for language, but I am very frustrated.

My question is if there is any directionality to inserting/removing these MMCX connectors.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, I am stuck with a bad right channel because of this.

May 26, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #3,806 of 5,394
I slipped and fell, accidentally buying a pair of Lyra IIs, so i guess I'm a part of the club now. :p

May 26, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,807 of 5,394
I slipped and fell, accidentally buying a pair of Lyra IIs, so i guess I'm a part of the club now. :p
Congratulations. That's hilarious

LyraII is in my humble opinion an excellent IEM. I think it has excellent low-end, mid and vocal performance. Many state the high-end is laid-back but to me there's no harshness or brightness that is uncomfortable. The higher frequencies are well represented with excellent detail

May 26, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #3,808 of 5,394
Many state the high-end is laid-back

I don't understand these comments either. The top end is well articulated and detailed. It's just not pushed into the foreground. Compared to many highly praised speaker systems or full-size headphones, the Lyra are everything but dark sounding. This exaggerated-in-your-face-treble stuff is a bizarre phenomenon of the IEM world. And I'm very glad some high end companies, including Campfire, are not doing that.

May 26, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #3,809 of 5,394
Thanks
I tried everything, lost patience and ended up completely ripping the cable (the cable is junk now)

The good news is that my Vegas are intact, but I am back to unbalanced ... oh well, it could have been worse.

When I'm dealing with a MMCX or 2-pin that's unreasonably hard to remove, I use pliers. Try and find a good place on the connector to grip, and pull carefully.

May 26, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #3,810 of 5,394
I don't understand these comments either. The top end is well articulated and detailed. It's just not pushed into the foreground. Compared to many highly praised speaker systems or full-size headphones, the Lyra are everything but dark sounding. This exaggerated-in-your-face-treble stuff is a bizarre phenomenon of the IEM world. And I'm very glad some high end companies, including Campfire, are not doing that.
This is the way many, not me, describe the higher frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back