Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
May 30, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,826 of 5,394
@nealh of course it also depends in the amp/dap and the volume. If you'd be using a relatively weak amp setup with high-impedance headphones, high gain and high volume, you would have a lot of audible distortion going on. But of course with IEMs, high gain setting and low volume should be distortion-free. Some amps perform even better at higher gain settings (in your case eventually?). But of course, hiss/background noise can be the tradeoff.
Thank you. I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff

May 31, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,829 of 5,394
I use high gain on my opus #1, sony a35, and cayin n3 with both vega and lyra II. I need about 10 steps more volume with the lyra's. I don't notice much hiss with any IEM's.
Thank you.
My Q1 is not as nice as you amp/dacs.
I find it interesting that you need more volume with LyraII than Vega. Ken Ball suggested source is very important for Vega. I guess it's the case with Lyra II as well
So Vega is easier to drive than Lyra II in your experience

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #3,830 of 5,394
Thank you.
My Q1 is not as nice as you amp/dacs.
I find it interesting that you need more volume with LyraII than Vega. Ken Ball suggested source is very important for Vega. I guess it's the case with Lyra II as well
So Vega is easier to drive than Lyra II in your experience
Yes. Although thinking about it now, it might me the difference in the highs creating an illusion. Regardless, I still need more volume for the lyra's.

Jun 1, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #3,832 of 5,394
This is all very interesting reading. The price difference between the Vega and the Lyra II is almost double. How much better are the Lyras? I listen to a lot of different music a lot of which is classical, along with Dance, Trance, Deep House etc. I can save up for the Vegas but would I be just as well off buying the Lyras?

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,833 of 5,394
This is all very interesting reading. The price difference between the Vega and the Lyra II is almost double. How much better are the Lyras? I listen to a lot of different music a lot of which is classical, along with Dance, Trance, Deep House etc. I can save up for the Vegas but would I be just as well off buying the Lyras?

Please trust me, I am also big into electronica, deep house, trance and classical. You MUST get the Vegas, they are worth every single penny.

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #3,837 of 5,394
Super excited to have a Vega on the way! Quick question in the spiral dots. Is there only one size of nozzle width?

Also does anyone know how the sizes of the tips compare to other brands? i.e. compared against spinfit or comply? Thank you!
Spiral dots only one bore size - wide bore with one nozzle size
Spiral dots have more sizes-S,MS,M,ML,L
Large spinfit is between ML/L

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #3,839 of 5,394
I will say the Vega change a lot after 100ish hours of burn-in. The bass is much more controlled, mids warm up just slightly, and all treble harshness smooths out. I was very close to returning them but gave them a few more days and maybe it is placebo, but they seemed to really settle in finally.

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #3,840 of 5,394
So after 256 pages of reading head-fi I figured I better make an account so I can actually ask a question. Do you guys think that I would hear a very clear audible difference between vegas and my Shure 215ltds. Made a bit of a post in the help section but I figured I should ask here cuz it is the CA vega thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back