Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Apr 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #3,691 of 5,394
And as I now turn my attention to finding good synergy with a source, I wanted to see if anyone has tried pairing this with the iDSD Micro or Micro Black? 

Lots of Mojo reports, but am surprised that there are no iDSD listening impressions on this thread yet. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3,692 of 5,394
Anyone know how sensitive the Vega is to drops? As in actually dropping the IEM onto a surface... I know the shell is really hard but wondering about something shaking loose inside. So far only had a few small drops and all still sounds well, but, just curious. I don't want to be the one to find out from experience either.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,694 of 5,394
Any vega owners who happen to be fans of the band, the beautiful south?? How does vega sound with that band?

I don't own the Vegas (just Jupiters and Lyra II's), but you just reminded me how good The Beautiful South were. Haven't heard them in years. I'll have to go find them now and listen again. Lol. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #3,695 of 5,394
  Anyone know how sensitive the Vega is to drops? As in actually dropping the IEM onto a surface... I know the shell is really hard but wondering about something shaking loose inside. So far only had a few small drops and all still sounds well, but, just curious. I don't want to be the one to find out from experience either.

​You'll be fine. 
smily_headphones1.gif

If it ain't broke - it ain't broke.  

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #3,696 of 5,394
I don't own the Vegas (just Jupiters and Lyra II's), but you just reminded me how good The Beautiful South were. Haven't heard them in years. I'll have to go find them now and listen again. Lol. :beyersmile:
brilliant band! Proper british soul and emotion for the ages! I was listening to the carry on up the charts album on tidal using my phone with cayin c5 and trinity masters, it sounded awesome!

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #3,697 of 5,394
I have had the Lyra II for 2 weeks and I'm very impressed. I do not own or have tested the Vega and could only imagine how good they are

To my ears the Lyra II has very impressive clarity and detail. The bass is strong,tight with real nice punch when present in the recording. The vocals are clear ,sharp with very nice emotion. I feel the vocals are forward in the center to slightly toward the front of my head. The highs are smooth with no harshness.

I use them with Spotify premium on iohone7+ with the 3.5mm-lightning dongle or ZuperDac USB amp/DAC

They are a steal at the Massdrop price. I purchased mine from the for sale forum

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #3,698 of 5,394
Yeah, I was actually expecting to be disappointed by them. Really impressive single-ended, astoundingly good balanced, even with a cheap cable. My only complaint so far is that they were a pain in the ass to get the right fit.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #3,699 of 5,394
The Lyra II have been a massively underappreciated IEM so far - hopefully the Massdrop will change that as they are a beautiful listen and deserve to be more popular.

Been trying both them and the Vega with my new custom tips and they both benefit from a slightly airier sound without losing any of the solidity or presence in the mid and low ranges. Not a night and day difference, but definitely at least as good as the standard foams with the benefit of better seal and comfort, and not as much damping in the highs.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #3,701 of 5,394
I went back to my spiral dots on my Lyra2. I seem to find the pressure issue not as big of a deal.

The wide bore of the spiral dots really helps the Lyra2 shine. I thought the comply comfort tips were most comfortable to my ears but I have changed my mind again. lol

The seal the spiral dots allows for really nice low end end. The wide bore helps the vocals really shine with such clarity and emotion. The higher frequencies are better represented and have no vividness or harsh feel.

I'm am just amazed how a single dynamic driver can be this good.

@KB
I am so impressed at the quality in the overall sound representation throughout the frequency range.

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #3,702 of 5,394
I went back to my spiral dots on my Lyra2. I seem to find the pressure issue not as big of a deal.

The wide bore of the spiral dots really helps the Lyra2 shine. I thought the comply comfort tips were most comfortable to my ears but I have changed my mind again. lol

The seal the spiral dots allows for really nice low end end. The wide bore helps the vocals really shine with such clarity and emotion. The higher frequencies are better represented and have no vividness or harsh feel.

I'm am just amazed how a single dynamic driver can be this good.

@KB
I am so impressed at the quality in the overall sound representation throughout the frequency range.

I received the Lyra II's about two weeks after I had purchased a pair of Jupiters. I really assumed I would just sell the Lyra II's. The Jupiters are amazing to my (inexperienced) ears - best I've ever listened to. But I have to say, I am having a hard time deciding to give up the Lyras. They're GOOD, especially with electronic music - the bass is fantastic. The Lyras are also just a bit easier to fit than the Jupiters. Although I don't find the Jupiters that uncomfortable. Now the problem is justifying keeping both... I'm wearing both with SpinFits and they sound and fit better than any other options I've tried - haven't tried Spiral Dots though. I am waiting for a pair of CustomArt silicone tips.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #3,703 of 5,394
The CustomArt tips work well with the LyraII - excellent seal for the bass and a bit more airiness in the treble than the CA foams. It leaves the body of the iem sitting a fraction further out of the ear than with foams, but in a much more solid manner than using Spinfits. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #3,704 of 5,394
Also here to spread some love for the Lyra II.

They've been a little bit disregarded here because of all the attention their TOTL siblings draw.

First of all, those are pieces of art. The housings look great, I love the colour and together with the shiny silver plated wire attached, they look like classy jewellery pieces. Gorgeous work!

And I loooove the sound signature. Nice and solid bass foundation, delicious mids and incredibly detailed treble (enhanced, but not exaggerated). Stage is not the biggest, but positioning is pinpoint accurate and layering is near perfect.

Detail-wise they keep up with my Angies, which says a lot. I'm really curious to audition the Vega now to hear how much of an upgrade they are. I'll definitely keep the Lyra II for a while as my go-to IEMs

I'll use the quote from the inside of the box: Nicely done.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #3,705 of 5,394
I find the Vega are more of a different style of sound to the LyraII - they are more in your face and less smooth and laid back. There are certain things they do better, but I see them more as complementary items than a direct upgrade path. I will be posting a review of the Angies at some point this weekend which has a comparison to the Vega, so will put the comparison section on here once it's edited if that helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back