Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Feb 8, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,582 of 5,394
As far as the Vega's go, I can wholeheartedly recommend them to you. They are the best sounding in ear or over ear I have experienced thus far. I prefer them by a good margin to my Fostex
TH-900. Of course sound is extremely subjective and that is just my opinion. For me their main attributes are that they seem to get the pace and tone to feel natural and engaging which gives me a strong sense of that "being in the same room" feeling. They are also comfortable for me which has not always been the case with other in ears that I have tried.  Do your wallet a favor and listen to any new headphones on your existing source for a while before getting something new. Despite other opinions recommending more power, etc., I actually like the Vegas straight out of my IPhone 5 better than from my Fostex HP-A8 desk top DAC/AMP. IMHO the sonic differences between headphones can be substantial while the differences between sources is much more subtle and correspondingly offers much less bang for the buck. Best of luck with your decision.

All about synergy. I found my Vega's to sound horrible through my desktop setup. I guess it is just too powerful and noisy to drive IEM's properly.

On a portable source though, totally different story. Like you I feel like the Vega is possibly THE best and IS the most engaging in ear or over ear headphone I have heard.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,583 of 5,394
  As far as the Vega's go, I can wholeheartedly recommend them to you. They are the best sounding in ear or over ear I have experienced thus far. I prefer them by a good margin to my Fostex
TH-900. Of course sound is extremely subjective and that is just my opinion. For me their main attributes are that they seem to get the pace and tone to feel natural and engaging which gives me a strong sense of that "being in the same room" feeling. They are also comfortable for me which has not always been the case with other in ears that I have tried.  Do your wallet a favor and listen to any new headphones on your existing source for a while before getting something new. Despite other opinions recommending more power, etc., I actually like the Vegas straight out of my IPhone 5 better than from my Fostex HP-A8 desk top DAC/AMP. IMHO the sonic differences between headphones can be substantial while the differences between sources is much more subtle and correspondingly offers much less bang for the buck. Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. Though I actually said screw it and ordered them earlier this morning. The way the sound has been described just seems really appealing to me (more so over the more neutral andromeda) and the fact that its a single DD should keep the size down which means they should be comfortable. Came up with a nice list of ways to justify it to myself (my fiance doesnt care what I do with my money) and pulled the trigger. Still a bit concerned about spending this much without being able to hear them and verify that I like the sound or that they fit comfortably, but I figured what the hell, I like what I have read, so why not. Heres to hoping that these are everything they have been made out to be and I will have zero desire to purchase more iems for a while. Don't know how quickly ca packs and ships, but I paid for overnight shipping so I might be listening to them tomorrow (or friday).

As far as source, I figured I am already spending the money, so I might as well pick up something I had been eyeing for a while, the chord mojo. I read through the thread and realize there are those in here who have said its not their preferred pairing (and that its probably not the second coming of Jesus as the hype would have you believe), but its been a dac/amp I have been thinking about picking up for a while and with the option to get the poly expansion, it should fit all my needs on that front for a very long time, even if it isnt the absolute perfect pairing for the vegas. Besides, as someone newer to this hobby, I am somewhat doubtful I will be able to hear a huge difference between amps anyways. So hopefully at the very least it will be a good enough pairing to get me what I need from the vegas.

@DWbirdseye thanks for the advice. As I just wrote above, I chose the chord mojo as it seems like it should be more than adequate to power these even if its not the absolute perfect pairing, and it will meet my needs for these and others quite well, especially with the option to add the poly add-on in the future.

Thanks again guys, this is the first time I have spent over $250 on any individual audio related purchase, so I am hoping my expectations are realistic, but that the vegas also live up to those expectations.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #2,584 of 5,394
I just tried campfire audio at canjam this weekend and I couldn't believe what wonderful quality their build was as well as the musicality...

The Vega's were by far the best IEM's I have ever tried and the musicality that came out of them impressed me more than any of the Headphones.  

I can't believe they produced a sound like that...  It's like an achievement to make the Dynamic Driver exceed the BA's in so many ways.  

What a wonderful experience.  It will take me a little while to save up for, but the Vega's will be my next earphone.

Nice to see some members of the other threads I subscribe to here (mashuto as well). Glad you guys have discovered the joy (and sound) of the Campfire gear - I imagine your wallets might not be so happy though! :wink:

The Vega were my first introduction to real TOTL sound, and have pretty much redefined what I consider to be good audio. Spent the last few weeks with a pair of JH Angie, and as amazing as they are, now considering trading then on to try something else out as they just aren't getting as much head time as the Vega. How sound so good comes out of one 8.5mm driver is a mystery to me, but I'm very much looking forward to hearing where the Campfire team decide to take it next.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,588 of 5,394
All about synergy. I found my Vega's to sound horrible through my desktop setup. I guess it is just too powerful and noisy to drive IEM's properly.

On a portable source though, totally different story. Like you I feel like the Vega is possibly THE best and IS the most engaging in ear or over ear headphone I have heard.

Including those Focal Utopias in your signature? Now you've got my attention!!!

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,589 of 5,394
What's the best aftermarket cable for Vega? Pure silver Litz vs SPC Ref 8?

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #2,590 of 5,394

Did you get Vega again?
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,591 of 5,394

In my personal opinion, I would stick with Ken's stock SPC litz.  If you want to bring up more bass impact, Ref8 does the job.  But pure silver might push it over the threshold of what we've discussed with you in PM
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,592 of 5,394

In my personal opinion, I would stick with Ken's stock SPC litz.  If you want to bring up more bass impact, Ref8 does the job.  But pure silver might push it over the threshold of what we've discussed with you in PM
wink.gif

Concur.

And was great to meet you Twist at NYC! (and loved the t-shirt by the way)

Cheers

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #2,593 of 5,394

wink.gif

Concur.

And was great to meet you Twist at NYC! (and loved the t-shirt by the way)

Cheers

Likewise!!!
beerchug.gif

Oh, yeah, the t-shirt which I showed to people instead of wearing it cause someone told me prior to the show "you will be asking for attention" lol!!!!  Jude loved it too, joking he wants one autographed for his collection
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,595 of 5,394
Maybe
tongue.gif
. Really depends on KB

I will retire after A12+Vega. I refuse to listen to anything better for at least a few years. 

Famous last words perhaps? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back