Campfire Audio - Saber
Dec 16, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 152
Electronically, no; physically, sort of? If you're coming from speakers and expect an active electronic component crossover, then think of the CA TAC (Tuned Acoustic Chamber) "boot" as a 3D printed space to shape the tuning of the drivers and stage the frequencies out from driver to driver. Given this is a Tri-bid design, there has to be some mechanical acoustic shaping.

CA's description of the Ara explains:
"Ara is a seven-driver design; two high (+T.A.E.C.), one mid, four low. It does not use typical passive electronic components to crossover the drivers. Instead, we shape the driver’s performance by articulating the acoustic properties of our Solid-Body internal chamber design – an approach we first created during the development of our custom in-ear monitors."

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 152
Electronically, no; physically, sort of? If you're coming from speakers and expect an active electronic component crossover, then think of the CA TAC (Tuned Acoustic Chamber) "boot" as a 3D printed space to shape the tuning of the drivers and stage the frequencies out from driver to driver. Given this is a Tri-bid design, there has to be some mechanical acoustic shaping.

Yeah I don’t think we have definite confirmation that it’s lacking electronic crossover, but as you mentioned with the Ara, CA doesn’t tend to like them, so I highly doubt they used one here.

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #19 of 152

Is it really a Trrbrid design though? It's only got two types of drivers inside it. Sure, the two dynamics are different in size, but they are still both DDs.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #20 of 152
Yeah I don’t think we have definite confirmation that it’s lacking electronic crossover, but as you mentioned with the Ara, CA doesn’t tend to like them, so I highly doubt they used one here.
Very true, I'm taking it for granted that they avoid active electronic crossovers, but to paint with a broad brush, DD FR control can be messier than BA so they might?

Is it really a Trrbrid design though? It's only got two types of drivers inside it. Sure, the two dynamics are different in size, but they are still both DDs.
Good point, I generalized the Ti and Be as different types of DD, but since it isn't BA+DD+Estat or Planar, it's more accurately described as hybrid.

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 152
The exploded view makes it appear there is no crossover but it's possible its just missing from the image I suppose.

Attachments

• Saber-Exploded-Diagram-700x700_2048x2048-2.jpg
    Saber-Exploded-Diagram-700x700_2048x2048-2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 16, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #23 of 152
No he means that CFA tend to pursue unorthodox sound sigs that are simultaneously wildly popular or unpopular depending on who you ask.

Thought so, but figured it's best to ask just to make sure :)

Some of their stuff I love, some I really don’t like, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It makes them stand out in the vast sea of sameness in the IEM world.

As long as you can find something CAs that work well for you, you're happy and so are their makers, so that's a win-win right there :)

As an audio manufacturer we know all too well that there's no way we can please everybody. We try though!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 16, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #24 of 152
Thought so, but figured it's best to ask just to make sure :)

As long as you can find something CAs that work well for you, you're happy and so are their makers, so that's a win-win right there :)

As an audio manufacturer we know all too well that there's no way we can please everybody. We try though!

Oh yeah! Love your Micro iDSD Signature, so thanks for keeping up with doing your thing!

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #26 of 152
Well... I've been listening to our demo Saber for the past couple of days and I'm gonna buy a pair :ksc75smile:

Don't expect bass canons, or an analytical sound - these are super engaging, snappy, energetic and fun - yes they are occasionally borderline sibilant, yet to me are fatigue free.

@01BXTR you are quite right in saying they share some "grado-like" qualities - maybe that's why I am enjoying them so much.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #27 of 152
Well... I've been listening to our demo Saber for the past couple of days and I'm gonna buy a pair :ksc75smile:

Don't expect bass canons, or an analytical sound - these are super engaging, snappy, energetic and fun - yes they are occasionally borderline sibilant, yet to me are fatigue free.

@01BXTR you are quite right in saying they share some "grado-like" qualities - maybe that's why I am enjoying them so much.
That’s helpful. What genres have you listened to? Have you found some that work and some that don’t?

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #28 of 152

That’s awesome! Seems like a win win win if the fit is good. I was hoping that some review pairs had made it out into the market, but it seems like that has been fairly limited. Or that the big time reviewers don’t like CA 🤔 or maybe both

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #29 of 152
That’s helpful. What genres have you listened to? Have you found some that work and some that don’t?

I'm mainly a metal/rock guy - but tested them with acoustic, EDM, symphonic metal etc... bit of everything and they worked well with pretty much everything I threw at them - EDM might not quite have the bass body that some will crave (Mammoth would satisfy those) but it had the timing and groove for it which made them very enjoyable

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #30 of 152

Is the housing big? How's the fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back