Campfire Audio Orion - Single BA IEM from the folks at ALO - Overachieving from Portland OR - first impressions
Mar 24, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #31 of 126
I saw a lot of reviews regarding this IEM as a neutral iem with beautifully extended highs with a slight hint of warmth. It feels like the upgrade that I am looking for. The IEM i am using now is Audio Technica IM02. Would this be a significant upgrade from the im02? I see that there are people mentioning that Orion lacks the presence of bass. The amount of bass at Im02 would be just perfect for me. But i looking for more clarity while not being clinical like Ethymotic. Would Orion fits in the criteria? It would be best if there are someone can make a brief comparison between the ATH IM02 and Campfire Audio Orion .

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #32 of 126
Our friend @Brooko has posted his full review of the Orion!
http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15678

CAMPFIRE AUDIO ORION – SUMMARY

So here we are again, and time to summarise my experience with the Orion.

The Orion is an incredibly well built single BA IEM, with a very good ergonomic fit, and also an extremely good quality cable.  A quick note on the cable too – it retails on ALO’s site for $149 if sold separately.

As far as fit and comfort goes, the fit for me is superb, but the comfort could be better with a few hard angles on the internal face making longer term listening sessions occasionally uncomfortable.  YMMV in this regard.

Sonically the Orion is brilliantly balanced and quite neutral with very linear bass, an extremely coherent and well-tuned mid-range which delivers very clear vocals.  The lower treble is well extended, and has plenty of detail, but falls short of any peakiness or sibilance.

The Orion will likely suit:
  1. Fans of balanced presentation, and those who like clean and clear vocal presence
  2. Those who value very good imaging and reasonable sound staging

The Orion may not suit anyone who:
  1. Enjoys or requires significant bass impact
  2. Likes a V shaped sound signature

At a current RRP of USD 349, the Orion represents very good value in my opinion, and the overall quality of build, fit and sonics (for those who like its particular presentation) is an excellent standard.

One thing I haven’t mentioned is the dedication and service of the Campfire Audio team. In my dealing to date, I have been very impressed by their willingness to take critique on board, and above all to constructively engage with their market audience, and ultimately improve the final product.

So would I buy these, and would I recommend them to friends or family?  For myself this is an easy “yes”.  I intend getting a pair as soon as the comfort issues are addressed – unless of course Ken releases something better in the near future. 4.5 stars from me, and it would be a perfect 5 if the comfort was better.

Once again I’d like to thank Ken and Mark for making this opportunity available.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #33 of 126
There's a new Orion review posted by our good friend @k4rstar 
Check it out: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15758

Image credits to @Ivabign

Summary

In conclusion, I find the balanced sound of the Orion close to perfection for my personal tastes. I doubt you can show me another pair of earphones at this price that share not only its prowess of many genres, but also its mastery of folk and acoustic music. If they come close in sonic performance, I promise you won't get the same accessories, build, comfort or isolation.

However, if you are in search of a bass presence elevated even slightly above neutral or treble extension to the stars and back (astronomy jokes), you may want to look elsewhere.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #34 of 126
Apr 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #35 of 126
Our friend @ade_hall has shared his thoughts on the Orion!
Check it out: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15778

Final thoughts

The Orion is beautifully designed in a modern/retro kind of way, Campfire have obviously put a lot of thought and effort in the way they are presented, and the packaging and accessories reinforce the positive presentation - it comes in a nice cardboard box with a cool carrying case and a very good expensive cable (which I believe is to be replaced with an even better one). 

Overall I think I prefer these to my Etymotic ER4(S). Even though the Ety's can sometimes sound quite spectacular with the right source and track, those moments are few and far between which makes the Orion a better all rounder.

I say 'think' above because due to fit I couldn't listen for extended periods, so couldn't really give a long term impression which I think is required.

Despite the fit I've given these four stars as I do think they sound excellent, marry that with the bulletproof build and design and Campfire are on to a winner, now if they could only change the design to accomodate (my) small ears...!!

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #37 of 126
Apr 24, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #40 of 126
My video with initial impressions. Orions are really interesting. As usual, sorry for my english.
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLn7kDlIbiI[/VIDEO]

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #41 of 126
My video with initial impressions. Orions are really interesting. As usual, sorry for my english.
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLn7kDlIbiI[/VIDEO]

You have new Litz cable, is a great thing for you.
Actually when I've tried them Jupiter & Orion for both.
Orion shell slightly smaller than Jupiter :)

Hope you will enjoy Orion too
Forget to add a word: very nice for your video review :)

May 4, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #43 of 126
Here's a few more reviews on the Orion!

Quote:
  Hi Guys,

I have finished the review of Orion.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15874

Thanks,
Sayan

better late than never, here's my take on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15886

Cheers! :)

Comparison

I think I find the perfect comparison for Orion, Phonak PFE 012. Ok maybe not perfect, but they both share a single BA design so I think it's quite fair to compare them side by side, strictly from sound quality, not including accessories, build and cable quality (in which the Orion totally destroy PFE 012).

Note: I only have the green filter for PFE 012, without EQ they sounded too bassy/muddy for me, so I applied some EQ to lift the Mids and Trebles.

Bass: While the Orion is light on bass, PFE is the complete opposite, with the green filter there is too much bass! With a bit of EQ they sounded really nice. So hands down to PFE for bass.

Mids: Mids is still dominated by Orion, they mids on PFE is pretty good but not as full sounding and rich as the Orion. 

Treble: It is bit brighter on the PFE, but this is pretty much due to EQ, without EQ they're just dull. I tried applying EQ to Orion but I find that the PFE is more respoding to EQ compare to Orion. 

Noise Isolation: Due to the shape of the PFE, they didnt really cover my ears as much as Orion, so for me the Orion does better passive noise isolation compare to the PFE.

Comfort: The PFE is lighter than the Orion, this is due to the build material and size, but they are equal in comfort for me.

Efficiency: I can drive the Orion comfortably loud using only 50% of my phone volume, however I have to use almost 90% to reach a loud enough sound with the PFE, the Orion is the winner here.

After listening and comparing them side by side, my personal conclusion is they are quite equal in sound quality, just different tuning and sound signature.

Hi Guys,

Sorry it takes longer then expected to post this but, here is my take on the Orion.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-orion/reviews/15887

Comparisons with Jupiter:

I got my Jupiter a few days before I write this review, the jupiter is about 3x the price of the orion, obvously Jupiter will have better technicalities, but Orion is still good for the money.

Some key differences to the Orion:
- V shaped signature
- more bass Quantity and quality, bass has more extension, meatier and hits harder
- more treble Quantity but still smooth and not fatigueing, more detailed, sparkly, energetic and way more extended (this and the bass is the main upgrade IMO) 
- mids is more recessed but still sounds good, I like the orion mids better
- better instrument separation
- the slight congestion issue I mentioned before is almost gone

SUMMARY

This is a great IEM, sound quality is great and very well balnce across the spectrum. at 349 USD this is a bargain, if I have to pick though the mids is the best quality of this IEM and should be your point of consideration when you're deciding whether you want to buy this or not, if you like vocals and guitars and not a basshead, this is perfect for you!! Otherwise maybe look for the jupiter for a V shaped Signature?

I want to give a thumbs up to Campfire Audio for putting up this awesome IEM in such an affordable price.

May 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #44 of 126
Got my pair last week, now it had been burned-in for 80hrs approx.

This is my most satisfactory purchase of earphones. Its sturdy, high quality made Tinsel cable and earphone body is amazing. I must also say the soundstage of Orion (only 1 BA driver) even beats my UM Pro 30 which has 3 BA drivers, just the bass is not as punchy as UM Pro 30.

Other than bass, are there any areas you think the UM Pro 30s best the Orions? Trying to decide between these two at the moment.

May 15, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #45 of 126
Curious, what is everyone using to drive these phones. I've been using the Fiio E12 for a while now with a couple of different headphones, mainly the Harman/Kardon BT's, and I have only briefly used the E12 with the Orions. I get a slight hiss when no music is playing, nothing distracting. When listening to music, I don't hear a lot of difference with the Fiio E12 LOD with my iPod Touch 5, compared to just the iPod alone. If anything, it sounds a tad cleaner in the highs, but it is very difficult to determine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back