Campfire Audio Orion - Single BA IEM from the folks at ALO - Overachieving from Portland OR - first impressions
Jul 23, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #121 of 126
I recently received the Orion as a loaner, and while it isn't as bad as I see some people say, it still kind of suffers from the same issues that I had with the Comet, being that I really didn't find it that engaging overall. However, while I had really nothing nice or really super bad to say about the Comet, the Orion is kind of the opposite. While the Comet doesn't really stand out in any way (in a boring way, not a relaxed way), the Orion does male vocals well enough that I at least have something to focus on. The Orion does suffer from being a little unengaging like the Comet bar the male vocals, but the major weakness of the Orion lies in that treble extension. I don't know how they messed it up to bad, because this rolls off early enough for it to become really noticeable, with most or anything in the high end being really unsatisfying. Another sort of praise I have is that the bass is passable, albeit a little one note, to go against the grain that the extension on both ends is lackluster. I was expecting the Orion to be pretty poorly extended on both ends but the bass was fine enough to leave me at least a little surprised. Again, the treble really was the major issue here. Additionally, the Orion suffers from being a little incoherent when a lot is going on, presumably due to being limited by the single BA driver.

Overall, I don't think the Orion is a bad IEM, it's a little underrated I guess, but only because I always heard it was horrible. At $350, this is absolutely a pass, and while a bit more justified at maybe $200 used, it's not really a good idea to buy it even then in my opinion, unless you tried it alongside other offerings around $150-200 and still liked the Orion over them. I still prefer my GR07 and my ER2SE over it any day of the week.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #122 of 126
1 Main.jpg
Well, Orions are discontinued, but they're still available on the second-hand market, and they are still great, so our author Mikhail Khilko shared his experience with this IEMs
English: https://porta.fi/campfire-audio-orion-review-black-on-black/
Russian: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-naushnikov-campfire-audio-orion-chyornoe-na-chyornom/

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #123 of 126
Anyone know how Orions pair with a Dragonfly Red? Orions seem fairly sensitive (13.9 ohms). Would the DRF overpower the orions and make it way too loud way too quickly? I.e. within the first one or two volume steps?

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #125 of 126
It's curious that we hear so differently.
I find these great for most music and fantastic for heavy metal, particularly all the varied thrash genres, rich and crunchy rifferama.
Tip wise I am using Tri Clarion. The OE CFA silicone tips I usually favour had the IEM body a fraction too deep in my ear and I was experiencing some discomfort over time but the TC have that bit more length so avoid that.
Fanbloodytastic these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back