Campfire Audio New IEM release
Jun 20, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #676 of 1,221
The new Aras arrived today (thanks Bloom Audio!!!) - and as fate would have it, the package with the returned Aras was returned to me, since the return label was First Class Postage, and I had reused the Priority Class box they arrived in, not realizing the discrepancy.

I listened to the new Aras and they sounded 'right as rain'; with an in-phase signal, they had a clear center image, and with and out-of-phase signal (on one channel), they had a diffuse image and soundstage. It'll take more time to 'get to know' them, but I'll say there's no lack of bass!

Since I had the prior pair now also, I decided with some trepidation to try them as well. “What if my hearing was somehow ‘off’ before? I’ll be eating a lot of crow.” But trying them again, immediately I could hear they were wired with one channel out-of-phase, and by switching the phase of one channel (using a plugin) they sounded right.

Testing a little further with the same plugin, making the signal mono, when properly in-phase the image should be dead-center. But with the 'bad' pair of Aras, the signal was diffuse and uncentered, until I switched one channel out of phase. The new pair are again fine.

I'm glad the matter is largely resolve now, though I'll need to attempt again a return.

P.S. Note I paid for the 2nd pair with Bloom Audio, with an arrangement for a refund when the 1st pair arrived. I only state this so other customers don't have unreasonable expectations of "ship me a new pair before you received the return".

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #677 of 1,221
FYI - Crinacle added measurements for the Ara and Andromeda 2020 to his database for easy comparison with other IEMs: https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/

The Ara indeed have slightly less bass (or more accurately, less sub-bass) then other CA models, but they're not as flat as Jude's measurements initially indicated.

Based on my listening so far, they're not "shy" in the bass, unless the track already has bass levels mixed low. But for most tracks it's "just right".

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #678 of 1,221
I
67C7678A-0F5E-45A7-902B-0DB793BA898C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #679 of 1,221
Is the Ara transparent? Yes. I heard more treble and sub-Bass from my Dita Audio Interconnect then my SXC 8 by ALO Audio interconnect (and I bought two of them for comparing headphones with the Mojo too) after multiple A/B Testing. Truly a testament to what the Ara’s can do.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #680 of 1,221
Is the Ara transparent? Yes. I heard more treble and sub-Bass from my Dita Audio Interconnect then my SXC 8 by ALO Audio interconnect (and I bought two of them for comparing headphones with the Mojo too) after multiple A/B Testing. Truly a testament to what the Ara’s can do.

Due to copper only vs hybrid Litz OCC/Silver Plated?

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #681 of 1,221
Due to copper only vs hybrid Litz OCC/Silver Plated?
No. It was just my observation between the 2 Interconnect Cables. The Dita Audio & Van Den Hul collaboration vs the ALO Audio SXC 8. Van Den Hul incorporated a proprietary metallurgy vs ALO’s Copper/Silver creation.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #683 of 1,221
Just curious, have anyone who bought the Solaris 2020 encountered assembly quality control issues? I noticed mine have ear piece has minor misalignment which result in a somewhat noticeable gap.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #684 of 1,221
Just curious, have anyone who bought the Solaris 2020 encountered assembly quality control issues? I noticed mine have ear piece has minor misalignment which result in a somewhat noticeable gap.
I have not, but there have been a few others who have experienced QC issues.
Suggest you scroll back over the last dozen pages or so and I suspect you'll find at least a couple of examples.

Jun 29, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #685 of 1,221
Would you mind posting a pic? I’m thinking I had a similar concern that I just wrote off to the fact that they are individually hand made.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #687 of 1,221
Would you mind posting a pic? I’m thinking I had a similar concern that I just wrote off to the fact that they are individually hand made.
[GALLERY=media, 1878477][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1878474][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1878476][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1878475][/GALLERY]
For comparison, the following one has no issue:
[GALLERY=media, 1878478][/GALLERY]

Jun 30, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #689 of 1,221
[GALLERY=media, 1878477][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1878474][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1878476][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 1878475][/GALLERY]
For comparison, the following one has no issue:
[GALLERY=media, 1878478][/GALLERY]
Wow! Yeah, there is a clear misalignment there. CA is great about customer service so I’m sure you won’t have any trouble receiving a replacement. Having to send in the unit and wait for the turnaround does not feel great though. I experienced a comparable issue with my 1st gen Andromeda’s. I have almost returned my Ara’s for a replacement but am on the fence as it seems more common than not in photos of the CA’s iems. Admittedly I am pretty finicky when dropping 1.3k so there’s that. Here are my pic:
5A821EB7-3194-4D9C-BBA4-D97C3D35DC74.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #690 of 1,221
Wow! Yeah, there is a clear misalignment there. CA is great about customer service so I’m sure you won’t have any trouble receiving a replacement. Having to send in the unit and wait for the turnaround does not feel great though. I experienced a comparable issue with my 1st gen Andromeda’s. I have almost returned my Ara’s for a replacement but am on the fence as it seems more common than not in photos of the CA’s iems. Admittedly I am pretty finicky when dropping 1.3k so there’s that. Here are my pic:

While there seem to be some clear defects on the Solaris 2020, the above doesn't look too much out of place compared to my Andromeda Special Edition: Gold which are near-perfect in terms of body and faceplate alignment as you can see on my post (and no they aren't for sale). I am honestly a gigantic pain for such things and, until I saw this, it never bothered me so it won't start now.

With that said, the Ara I am planning to get better be like my Gold and nothing like what I've seen on the Solaris 2020 because some of the QC issues seen here are simply unacceptable at this price point. Regardless of the userbase here and the fact that it often spends 1-3k on a single pair of IEMs: the fact of the matter is that they're a luxury product getting reviewed in Forbes so that type of QC simply won't cut it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back