Campfire Audio Multiverse
Dec 14, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #436 of 523
I’m interested, but I’m not sure I’m blind $500 interested.

The signature looks harmon-ish (can only get very broad outlines from their bar chart signature stuff), and I feel like I’ve got that covered by other IEMs.

The case is really pretty though, I do like that Damascus steel pattern a lot. Probably not enough to blind buy though.

I don’t know?

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #438 of 523
I’m interested, but I’m not sure I’m blind $500 interested.

The signature looks harmon-ish (can only get very broad outlines from their bar chart signature stuff), and I feel like I’ve got that covered by other IEMs.

The case is really pretty though, I do like that Damascus steel pattern a lot. Probably not enough to blind buy though.

I don’t know?

FYI: Created a new thread for the Saber so it doesn't have to be all-around in different places!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-audio-saber.961155/

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #440 of 523
CA needs to make these their intro buds for their lineup
Huge agree! I’m in love with mine and would love to have a backup pair in case anything ever happened to them because the onyx is, by far, my favorite IEM.

None of my other sets come anywhere close, and this is the sound signature I’m looking for when I look at other IEMs. They definitely make me very interested in the Dorados.

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #441 of 523
Some follow up on my Onyx thoughts. Definitely still really like the sound I’m getting from these, but I had mostly been listening to rock/alt/indie, with some quick/basic tests I use for confirming that new gear sounds how I want it to sound.

I started listening to some bass heavier music (Yeasayer’s Fragrant World), and I’m hearing some of the finer bass details that can frequently get lost in less resolving headphones. They may not have been perfect with the Big Black Delta remix of Midnight City (but to be fair, most headphones aren’t, that track just has a tendency to turn to bass-mud on its own), but they’re still very good.

Definitely maintaining that these were still a good purchase and are for sure going to become my daily drivers. Listening to the Onyxs on an off all day I haven’t felt any of the fatigue that the Polarises and Holocenes can give me (each for different reasons). I’m still intrigued by the Dorado 2020s, but I think my “V with less bass than than the Polaris II” itch is currently being scratched.
I was listening to the big black delta remix of the midnight City on apple music lossless right now, but I cannot seem to find any bass mud there. Yeah there are some thumps which goes pretty deep , I think in subbass level, from 1:54, and the bass guitar (or rhythm guitar? Not sure) plays quite nice, crunchy and full bodied - but the overall mix was pretty clear. Crowded, yeah, but not muddy at all. In fact, Yeasayer's Fragrant World has stronger bass slams with more body.

My setup is IMR Acoustics Splash Of Red from Shanling M3X balanced out.

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #442 of 523
Looks like Onyx are finally sold out after sitting at "2 units left" thru the weekend. I was watching it convincing myself I didn't need them after finally getting the Andro classics this month but I was starting to get close to pulling the trigger. My wallet is very happy, but hopefully I'll be able to try out a pair at some point just to see what I missed.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #443 of 523
Looks like Onyx are finally sold out after sitting at "2 units left" thru the weekend. I was watching it convincing myself I didn't need them after finally getting the Andro classics this month but I was starting to get close to pulling the trigger. My wallet is very happy, but hopefully I'll be able to try out a pair at some point just to see what I missed.
SAME!! LOL

Dec 20, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #445 of 523
Have you heard the Onyx? The way you’ve described the Splash of Red elsewhere has me interested and thinking they might be a similar sound signature, which intrigues me.
Nope, I haven't heard. I would have bought, but the close price point between the SOR and Onyx is stopping me - don't need another under the same price rang.

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #448 of 523
Where are you seeing that? There’s the new Saber model which has a similar shell (same black inside, but with a metal case on the outside), but which has a very different sound signature
They're available via backorder on the Campfire site currently.

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #450 of 523
Oh neat! Maybe they heard the feedback and at making it one of their entry level options
I just came across the onyx while also searching the B stock/warehouse page. Would you say it’s a good buy then? I’m using Shure Se535 now (triple armature drives), mostly via Shure TW2 wireless adapters. Really intrigued by Campfire and especially the hybrid of the onyx and throwing it in the adapters. I saw some thoughts earlier in the string, but considering you’ve had more time with them, would love to get your latest thoughts. Thanks

Edit: just found your full write up; nicely done thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back