Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Mar 10, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #4,876 of 9,829
I just bought a fiio x7 ii and I'm planning to finally try out balanced cable for my Andromeda...please kind share some good ones :)
Ibasso CB13, excellent value and a great cable-
075A8422-9F4D-47BF-87A8-70448A8C1DE9.jpeg
Looks like @ExpatinJapan beat me to it:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Read his reviews and you will have a much better idea of what you want (and spend) good luck

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #4,878 of 9,829
It looks like I have problem with my Andromedas I bought new from CA at CanJam NYC18. Today I was listening to Norah Jones’ “Sunrise” and started to feel/hear tiny rattling sound from left channel. It is very barely feasible but I believe it is there. Used three different DAPs and three different cables - still believe that rattling is there especially when using balanced output.
Do you guys know any retailer here in NYC where I can find Andromedas on demo to compare with mine and check if I am right and really have rattling problem at all.
Or should I contact Campfire Audio right away to let them check my pair? Anyone has experience how long does it take and what the process is?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #4,879 of 9,829
It looks like I have problem with my Andromedas I bought new from CA at CanJam NYC18. Today I was listening to Norah Jones’ “Sunrise” and started to feel/hear tiny rattling sound from left channel. It is very barely feasible but I believe it is there. Used three different DAPs and three different cables - still believe that rattling is there especially when using balanced output.
Do you guys know any retailer here in NYC where I can find Andromedas on demo to compare with mine and check if I am right and really have any rattling problem at all.
Or should I contact Campfire Audio right away to let them check my pair? Anyone has experience how long does it take and what the process is?
Sounds like a loose BA driver; if you contact CA and explain the defect, you should be able to get it fixed for free since it happened quite early in your time with them. They have a pretty stellar customer support service.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4,880 of 9,829
Just to be clear, did you by any chance slam them or drop them from a height of more than a few feet on solid ground (wood, concrete, etc)? Just trying to clarify if this wasn't something done by the user since they do state in the small manual that such incidents would not be covered by their warranty. Then again, I think they would still help repair your Andros.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #4,881 of 9,829
Just to be clear, did you by any chance slam them or drop them from a height of more than a few feet on solid ground (wood, concrete, etc)? Just trying to clarify if this wasn't something done by the user since they do state in the small manual that such incidents would not be covered by their warranty. Then again, I think they would still help repair your Andros.

I handled them like newly born baby. They were used couple of times since I bought them as I was waiting for balanced cable to arrive. Always kept them in Pelican 1020 case. Never dropped/slammed.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4,882 of 9,829
Switched back from balanced to SE cable and rattling almost gone. This rattling is clearly feasible only on Norah Jones’ “Feels like home” 24/192 FLAC. Having this I have couple of additional questions regarding potential source of rattling.
Can it be balanced cable? Unfortunately I don’t have another balanced cable to compare. For the record my balanced cable is ibasso’s cb12. Probably should buy one from CA.
Or can it be a quality of recording itself, meaning that Andromedas are so sensitive that don’t hide any imperfection of recording? In support of this idea I would say that I’m not big fan of the record quality of all Norah’s recordings, but a huge fan of her voice.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #4,884 of 9,829
Just an off the cuff question. Are you using any EQ? Sometimes that can push the amp too much into imbalance and give you some peaks of distortion. Could be the file if it only does it for Norah? Had some nasty artifacts creep into some files a while ago, poor sources.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it works out. I'm sure CA will be very accommodating if it a driver issue. Just call them to square it from them for their take.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #4,885 of 9,829
Just an off the cuff question. Are you using any EQ? Sometimes that can push the amp too much into imbalance and give you some peaks of distortion. Could be the file if it only does it for Norah? Had some nasty artifacts creep into some files a while ago, poor sources.

I never use EQ, but need to check if it is switched on or off on my DX200. It may be switched on as there is a broadly supported opinion that DX200 sounds “better” with EQ switched on, but not engaged. Will check it tomorrow as I don’t have my rig with me at the moment.

Putting aside “NorahJonesSunriseFLAC” rattling issue, I am perfectly happy with Andromedas. Andromedas, ie800 and K3003i are my holy earphone trinity representing all types of drivers usage approach: single dynamic, multi BA and mixed one. They are different and compliment each other and I do enjoy all of them.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #4,886 of 9,829
How are people adding resistance to the output of the amp if it's near 0? I'm looking to try out 2,3, and 4 ohms. To me, around 2 -3 ohms seems to be the point that reduces the warmth enough to be at a more leveled warmth with better articulation in the upper mids.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #4,887 of 9,829
How are people adding resistance to the output of the amp if it's near 0? I'm looking to try out 2,3, and 4 ohms. To me, around 2 -3 ohms seems to be the point that reduces the warmth enough to be at a more leveled warmth with better articulation in the upper mids.
iematch.. makes OI 1 or 2.5. The 2.5mm was just released and I’m glad I have that to use to tune the sound.

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #4,888 of 9,829
iematch.. makes OI 1 or 2.5. The 2.5mm was just released and I’m glad I have that to use to tune the sound.
Any details on inner working of this product? Is it just simply changing the resistance only or is it doing something else? Anyway, I can just get some precision resistors, connectors, and just solder them as well. I'm wondering if I can make something like those step potentiometers with resistors in it. ~3 ohms is such a small amount though.

I want to be able to step the resistance in increments of 1 ohms from the range of 1 ohms to 5 ohms. Actually, even half ohm increments would be even more precise of course.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #4,889 of 9,829
Any details on inner working of this product? Is it just simply changing the resistance only or is it doing something else? Anyway, I can just get some precision resistors, connectors, and just solder them as well. I'm wondering if I can make something like those step potentiometers with resistors in it. ~3 ohms is such a small amount though.

I want to be able to step the resistance in increments of 1 ohms from the range of 1 ohms to 5 ohms. Actually, even half ohm increments would be even more precise of course.
It attenuates the signal so that you can actually run the player at much higher volume. However it does that in a controlled way with 2 different selections for OI. The most important benefit though, is that it will eliminate hiss from the player and give essentially a black noise floor. I purchased it mainly for that reason, now the OI switch is just bonus.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #4,890 of 9,829
Been listening to the Vega for almost two weeks now, up to about 150 hours and they seemed to have settled down nicely. Bass has calmed down but still impacts with authority. If a track is the slightest bit sibilant, the Vega will show it and less so with the Andromeda.
They are very engaging and fun to listen to, great depth with the mids and treble more forward now.
I was listening to Matt Andersen last night and was blown away by how they sounded so much like a live performance. I’ve seen the big guy play three times now, so I have a good idea of his live performances. The Vega was made for a voice like his.
So tonight I thought I’d better give the Andromeda a listen and was kind of afraid I might not like them as much as I used to.....how wrong I was, they welcomed me with open arms and delivered that silky smooth, slightly warm and tremendous soundstage. The Vega are awesome and the Andromeda are absolutely magical. What a pair, you could go and spend 3k or more on a single pair of iems that may or may not be better than the Andromeda or Vega. I would suggest spending that on two pairs of iems and I think you might know which two I would recommend.
CA could sell these two as a set, they compliment each other so well.
As CA says, “Nicely Done” :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back