Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova
Oct 13, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #5,987 of 9,829
As a matter of fact, I'll be in NYC late November. Not sure where I could find used Andromedas there though.
Get them sent to wherever you are staying, you could probably give them a call while your there or contact them before you go.
I paid £880.00 for mine, if I’d bought them here in the UK £1049.00 and they weren’t even available here then. HifiHeadphones stock them now, I was thinking of buying the Comets and worked out that it would still be slightly cheaper to buy direct from Campfire and have them shipped over !!
So, it looks like you’ll have your Andro’s in November, if you get them it might be an idea to post the empty box back home just in case :wink:

Oct 14, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #5,991 of 9,829
My impressions of the Andromeda SS version with stock cable (single ended with FA tips) pairing with my SP1000CU:

Much warmer compared to the original version, treble is slightly reduced, darker background, vocals are more forward, soundstage is slightly narrower, more mid & sub bass

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #5,992 of 9,829
I am with Ken regarding the aged look though. The green "scuffed" looks like a nice worn pair of jeans and it has its charm. Now we need a Bansky andromeda to complete the collection
My green Andro’s are still in near mint condition, think I prefer them looking that way, but I am also coming round to the worn jeans look lol and once mine have a few scratches on em then it’s the worn jeans look for me I guess.
Don’t know about the Banksy look, definitely prefer the unshredded look :smile_phones:

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #5,993 of 9,829
Have you tried the Andromeda's balanced with the Q1MkII by any chance? I was considering getting it for better impedance matching (2Ohms) once my Andromeda's arrive, but not sure how the hiss will be.

They're pretty hissy with the Q1 MkII balanced output as well. In fact they're hissy on my SE100 as well which is interesting because it's meant to have a lower OI than single ended (1.5ohm SE vs 1ohm Balanced). The balanced cable I'm using isn't as expensive as ALO stuff though. So I'm thinking either a) balanced introduces more hiss in general or b) the quality of the cable I'm using ain't that great. The only evidence I have to support a) is that running another all BA IEM over balanced with the same cable also gets more hissy, and the same goes for my FiiO FH5 (which is a hybrid) but not nearly as much.

Either way, for now I'm quite happy with the standard litz cable going single ended as I get little to no hiss :) To be honest the only reason I ran balanced with other IEMs was to be able to play music at lower volumes. However with the litz cable I already get that in spades, which I reckon is testament to the quality of the cable.

Which leads me to a question I'd like to put forward to my fellow owners: does anyone run primarily balanced with their Andros? If so what's your source, cable and how is the hissing (if any)?

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #5,994 of 9,829
They're pretty hissy with the Q1 MkII balanced output as well. In fact they're hissy on my SE100 as well which is interesting because it's meant to have a lower OI than single ended (1.5ohm SE vs 1ohm Balanced). The balanced cable I'm using isn't as expensive as ALO stuff though. So I'm thinking either a) balanced introduces more hiss in general or b) the quality of the cable I'm using ain't that great. The only evidence I have to support a) is that running another all BA IEM over balanced with the same cable also gets more hissy, and the same goes for my FiiO FH5 (which is a hybrid) but not nearly as much.

Either way, for now I'm quite happy with the standard litz cable going single ended as I get little to no hiss :) To be honest the only reason I ran balanced with other IEMs was to be able to play music at lower volumes. However with the litz cable I already get that in spades, which I reckon is testament to the quality of the cable.

Which leads me to a question I'd like to put forward to my fellow owners: does anyone run primarily balanced with their Andros? If so what's your source, cable and how is the hissing (if any)?
I’m using Ibasso’s DX200/Amp8, cables I have used without any issues are Ibasso CB12, CB13, with a 2.5 balanced termination, ALO standard litz with a 4.4 Pentaconn balanced termination and The ALO SXC-8 also with the 4.4 Pentaconn.
All great cables and no hiss with any of the 5 amp modules I’ve used on the DX200.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #5,995 of 9,829

C6DBFE5B-4250-42BA-9DAF-0F70F29F3A5C.jpeg
B15EC5D0-4443-4EE2-8242-3DEA374BE100.jpeg

I’m using an AK240SS in balanced with the Alo Audio Reference 8 and i hear zero hiss, also with my AK380 black i hear no hiss..
With the sony ZX300 are a slight hiss in the beggining, but it ends in about 30 seconds.
The best balanced cables that I have tried are:
Reference 8
Sony MUC-M12SB1
Moon Audio Silver Dragon

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #5,997 of 9,829

I’m using an AK240SS in balanced with the Alo Audio Reference 8 and i hear zero hiss, also with my AK380 black i hear no hiss..
With the sony ZX300 are a slight hiss in the beggining, but it ends in about 30 seconds.
The best balanced cables that I have tried are:
Reference 8
Sony MUC-M12SB1
Moon Audio Silver Dragon
How would you compare the Sony MUC-M12SB1 with the reference 8 for andromeda?

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5,999 of 9,829
How would you compare the Sony MUC-M12SB1 with the reference 8 for andromeda?

Thanks!

The reference 8 is slightly more bright in treble and more neutral in the sub bass, i hear more clarity/detail with this cable.
The Sony MUC-M12SB1 is more recessed in the treble region and more pronunced in the low end, i hear a more dynamic sound with it

All this IMO are only slight differences that i hear with my ZX300

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #6,000 of 9,829
2vmvs44.jpg

Heading out for work and mail man came at 8 a.m sharp so this is a less than 30min listen but these are really balanced and focused in all ranges.The first thing that hit me is how clean they sound and the pin point imaging.They are uncolored in tone have very detailed mids,instruments are not too thick or lean,just right,sub bass is fast,detailed but not as visceral as Atlas or deep as SE846 but the soundstage is very impressive technically.Wide but not too wide the depth and the layering are very good,treble is extended and airy but i wouldn't call it sparkly,Atlas with silicone tips has more shimmer and extravagance in treble but i think that tuning suits Andro S just fine.

I cannot find a fault in these iems,for the price given their technicall ability they are a steal.Ebay has them for a 1000eu so get them before they're out of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back